I once owned a 100w Traynor which was frightening loud , like a twin. Standing next to a 50w is enough to cause irreparable damage, Standing in front of those stacks must have been an existential experience.

Which one?

I've got an old OR120 which is pretty loud, but compared to the sound city I had, it's not as bright and doesn't have as much headroom

Also, can you identify this circuit? It's the tranny I posted the other day.

fo8DMZu.jpg

tKGirnE.jpg

W9rvnH8.jpg

Strange little tan colored cap between the two pots is NOS I think. Same kind as the mustards used in the old Marshalls - I have some blue ones branded SRC.

Which one?

I've got an old OR120 which is pretty loud, but compared to the sound city I had, it's not as bright and doesn't have as much headroom

Also, can you identify this circuit? It's the tranny I posted the other day.

fo8DMZu.jpg

tKGirnE.jpg

W9rvnH8.jpg

Strange little tan colored cap between the two pots is NOS I think. Same kind as the mustards used in the old Marshalls - I have some blue ones branded SRC.

Am on my phone at the minute, but anytime you see two Ge trannies like that, it's a fair bet it's a Fuzz Face. derivative. Big cap looks like a high voltage ceramic, probably just dumps treble to ground. What trannies?

Edit: the amp was a YB something? It was a Marshall type front end with a fender twin 6L6 power amp. It has the scheme in the chassis, which is handy.

Am on my phone at the minute, but anytime you see two Ge trannies like that, it's a fair bet it's a Fuzz Face. derivative. Big cap looks like a high voltage ceramic, probably just dumps treble to ground. What trannies?

Edit: the amp was a YB something? It was a Marshall type front end with a fender twin 6L6 power amp. It has the scheme in the chassis, which is handy.

Hmm I guess that makes sense. What about the silicon one?

The switches are a tone bypass and some sort of voicing switch (I see it's connected to that yellow film cap anyway). Seems to do something to the midrange.

It sounds great anyway.

YBA-3? I can't say I'm familiar with those, but I've had a YBA-1 (bassmaster) in the past. Great amp. Might have to get another at some point... they're still in the $500 range it seems.

It's all a bit stupid. You can get an early 60s Bassman for under $1000 easily, but a decent JTM 45 from the same time period costs nearly 15 times as much.... the funny thing is that the JTM is probably built with inferior parts too.

:ninja: No offense. That's probably why they sound the way they do.

Also, in true Hendrix fashion, I just blew up one of my amps. It's those shite-y russian made EL34s.... :noey:

:)

The JTM has superior iron, so it does sound less flabby, despite being more or less the same amp.

You referring to RS or Drake? :ninja:

This is all getting a bit :nerd: so I'll just post this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N8wNmi9B40

USA USA USA

(obviously joking as most of the gear I own is UK built, but I don't think it sounds bad at all, especially for the AB165)

Do it. Much more versatile and better toanz.

James, what's happened to that tube? One dead??

That's not actually my amp, but I think it illustrates my point.

It was just so rock n roll. There I was with the guitar plugged directly into the amp in order to hear the natural valve overdrive that was about to be produced from those EL34s........ turned the master volume up about a quarter way, hit an open A chord (we all know that you play an open A chord when testing out a cranked amp)....OH MY GOD THAT SATURATED ALL VALVE TONE!

Turned the master up to about 50%, hit an open A chord..... heard the sounds of valves self destructing and saw the pilot light dimming. Shut it off. Put the guitar down. Unplugged everything.

635835725805375660930982447_sb%20coffee.gif

And spent $95 on a new quad of valves and ordered some new fuses.

Woah, I didn't know this was a thing. http://www.themusiczoo.com/blog/2014/custom-shop-made-2-measure-your-gibson-your-way/#expanded

Sounds really cool.

and James, I didn't meant *rusty* rusty, my bad for the wording - I think I mean when the strings start to feel dirty and sticky

On that note, Elixirs seem good so far. Played all day today and no discoloration yet (usually it takes me 2 hours to ruin strings :facepalm:)

EB coated sound really bright to my ears for some reasons. That or the Elixirs are just darker

:LOL::LOL:

On another subject, does anyone have the dimension of the fernandes FSK circuit board?

I'm trying to design a guitar, and i'm not at home so can't measure the board to be sure it will fit.

just the length and width then? I might be able to give you that. I have the copper guitar open right now, so if I can get in there without breaking anything...

Woah, I didn't know this was a thing. http://www.themusiczoo.com/blog/2014/custom-shop-made-2-measure-your-gibson-your-way/#expanded

Sounds really cool.

and James, I didn't meant *rusty* rusty, my bad for the wording - I think I mean when the strings start to feel dirty and sticky

On that note, Elixirs seem good so far. Played all day today and no discoloration yet (usually it takes me 2 hours to ruin strings :facepalm:)

EB coated sound really bright to my ears for some reasons. That or the Elixirs are just darker

i wonder how much more they charge for that.

and yeah. if i play one non stop for a few hours, then the strings do start to become a bit dull.

Guys I need serious advice :rolleyes:

I've tried a hot rod deluxe today with my Manson, absolutely loved it. I have the money for it but will be getting rid of the Vox.

Do I buy the amp then sell the Vox or the other way around?

11:32. Didn't know he had a Marshall head on stage at all that tour.

Yeah I think for one or two shows. I don't think he really properly added it to his setup until the roundhouse gig in 2012. The 4x12 cabinets seemed to already have been modified by then - probably with monitor speakers like the dickinson had.

:nerd:

Apparently I'm pretty late, but going off topic from QOTSA for a bit... thoughts on the new biffy material so far? I hadn't heard this one until today (technically it was released today, but the recording below was available before)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mywNAPVN8UE