three years ago this week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bZwBnSpj7w

Now I just need to see them at a festival. Done all the others.

Wow, listening to the SMBH portion of that video I noticed that the tone is way different with the audio coming straight from the board compared to what the crowd hears from the PA systems. Especially during the -1 octave synthy part, the "pinging" on the higher strings isn't as pronounced like what the crowd would be hearing.

What's the best program for Whammy automation, figured I probably should finally actually learn to automate the Reapers solo instead of doing it manually.

I'm using cubase (forgot what version, but I think it's elements something or other - it doesn't have all the features). I can hook you up with the whammy 5 MIDI file I made :ninja:

Apparently I'm pretty late, but going off topic from QOTSA for a bit... thoughts on the new biffy material so far? I hadn't heard this one until today (technically it was released today, but the recording below was available before)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mywNAPVN8UE

The new stuff's really good so far. Can't wait to see them in August.

I'm using cubase (forgot what version, but I think it's elements something or other - it doesn't have all the features). I can hook you up with the whammy 5 MIDI file I made :ninja:

Fancy sending me it too? Can give you my motp file if you want it.

The new stuff's really good so far. Can't wait to see them in August.

Fancy sending me it too? Can give you my motp file if you want it.

Which MOTP file is it? There was one floating around a while back, but it wasn't too accurate.

And sure, just need to get it off my apple macbook pro with upgraded 500gb solid state hard drive laptop

Which MOTP file is it? There was one floating around a while back, but it wasn't too accurate.

And sure, just need to get it off my apple macbook pro with upgraded 500gb solid state hard drive laptop

The one I made that was a few bpm too fast at first. Got the pattern off here but did all the MIDI stuff after I'd figured out how to use cubase properly.

Is it just me or does that look like a JVM? (Two rows of knobs).

Pretty sure it's a TSL 60

marsh5a.jpg

The one I made that was a few bpm too fast at first. Got the pattern off here but did all the MIDI stuff after I'd figured out how to use cubase properly.

Hmm ok, it's mainly the additional patterns I can't figure out

Shall definitely look into it!

Recorded a quick guitar cover of it earlier with the whammy stuff done manually and had to multi track the solo to have both +1 and +2 going on :facepalm: Doesn't sound terrible but would much prefer to have the automation to do it freely (https://soundcloud.com/jack-hallows/reapers-guitar-cover if anyone wants to have a listen - used the DH4 with fuzz patch I used for my Psycho cover on the Satin black MA that just has the MBK-2)

EDIT: Never mind the copyright robots got to me. Never had that problem with Muse stuff before?

Edited by heyjackk

That's not actually my amp, but I think it illustrates my point.

It was just so rock n roll. There I was with the guitar plugged directly into the amp in order to hear the natural valve overdrive that was about to be produced from those EL34s........ turned the master volume up about a quarter way, hit an open A chord (we all know that you play an open A chord when testing out a cranked amp)....OH MY GOD THAT SATURATED ALL VALVE TONE!

Turned the master up to about 50%, hit an open A chord..... heard the sounds of valves self destructing and saw the pilot light dimming. Shut it off. Put the guitar down. Unplugged everything.

635835725805375660930982447_sb%20coffee.gif

And spent $95 on a new quad of valves and ordered some new fuses.

cool

looks like my trannies survived. thought they might have been blown.

hrzwMfK.jpg

they're still orange though

Because it doesn't want to wear them (?)

Nah they're those little probes that you can plug into a DMM. Measures plate voltage and current.

I could probably get away with just setting the current in the right range, but this amp for example has the plate voltage over 500, so it needs to be a bit lower than the average Marshall for example.

Had to use the world's smallest screwdriver to get most of it off, and unfortunately I scraped up parts of the PCB in the process. Don't think there are any broken traces at least, and everything seems to be working with the new ones in.

But it's ok. It's a hybrid amp, so no one will be going in there to change the valves anyway.

Oh. My. Days.

I've seen hotglue on large caps, but who in their right mind would use it on valves?

Clearly didn't work as at least one is broken.

EDIT: Did you get my PM yesterday James?

Yeah I did, all of that sounds good to me :ninja:

And yeah, I can sort of understand it on the large caps (at least when they're soldered directly to a PCB), but this amp is full of hot glue... I mean literally, they've actually put it on the transformer mounting bolts. :confused::facepalm:

But luckily it only uses those two 12AX7s, and unless something else fails, it should be fine for now. I gather it's from 1991 judging by the serial, so it is a bit older.

Yeah I did, all of that sounds good to me :ninja:

And yeah, I can sort of understand it on the large caps (at least when they're soldered directly to a PCB), but this amp is full of hot glue... I mean literally, they've actually put it on the transformer mounting bolts. :confused::facepalm:

But luckily it only uses those two 12AX7s, and unless something else fails, it should be fine for now. I gather it's from 1991 judging by the serial, so it is a bit older.

Is it a Valvestate? I worked on a couple of those back in the early 00's that suffered from cracked components due to vibration.

Noob question: How do I go about doing that ridiculous tremolo picking over strings (ie A and G with D muted) that features in a few muse songs? I'm able to do it on one string at the mo.

Like octaves? i.e.

G-9

D-x

A-7 ?

It's kinda hard to explain but the way that I find easiest is like how Matt B does it where you use your wrist a lot. He kinda holds his pick between his thumb, index finger and middle finger and then picks from his wrist. You can kinda see him doing it whenever he does the slide in Knights of Cydonia and the Psycho octave run. Can kinda see what I mean here https://youtu.be/PG0QLxGclAM?t=4m29s

Is it a Valvestate? I worked on a couple of those back in the early 00's that suffered from cracked components due to vibration.

tube works mosvalve. Probably not designed as well as the Marshall stuff. I know I've seen some modern PCB Marshalls with glue holding the large electrolytic caps together, but not much at all.

It didn't work too well with the Marshall 6101 I had, as the glue had separated from the cap, which then cracked. Not the greatest idea having the heat of four EL34s (and seven 12AX7s!) going up into that small chassis with all those stacked PCBs...I can't even find a picture of that amp, but to give you an idea, it was this same amp stuffed into a 1x12 combo configuration

6100guts.jpg

Like octaves? i.e.

G-9

D-x

A-7 ?

It's kinda hard to explain but the way that I find easiest is like how Matt B does it where you use your wrist a lot. He kinda holds his pick between his thumb, index finger and middle finger and then picks from his wrist. You can kinda see him doing it whenever he does the slide in Knights of Cydonia and the Psycho octave run. Can kinda see what I mean here https://youtu.be/PG0QLxGclAM?t=4m29s

I think he means more like the defector solo. But what you said still makes sense for that.

Like octaves? i.e.

G-9

D-x

A-7 ?

Yeah anything like Psycho or Stockholm Syndrome etc. Comes up a lot.

I think the main thing is that I have trouble doing the strumming alternately but I'm fine at alternate picking on one string. My muting is a bit inconsistent too so sometimes the pick gets caught up or the notes aren't clear.

I tend to keep my strumming hand in more of a fist than Matt and a lot of others who are more able to fan their fingers out. Is this part of the problem possibly?