http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/rockers-who-need-pristine-virginal-cleans.1702576/

Really? That's the first time I've heard that one...

Those feels.

Not sure, I haven't bought any mics in a while. And that is quite cheeky. You should have a nando's with me - just found out I'll actually be there an extra two days, for ten days total :awesome:

edit: referring to the UK itself, not just nando's

The controls can be a little tricky at times. Are these the ones that work in reverse?

Also, since it has an external speaker output, you could try it with a different cabinet to see if it sounds any better. I wouldn't really expect it to sound like a top boost AC30 without the usual tone control setup though (do these controls work in reverse?)

Nah they just work normally. I think I read that both the treble and bass knobs both just alter the amount of treble more than anything else.

Macaroon, what's the reverb like in your AC30?

Really nice, it's pretty versatile. Doesn't sound corny like most of the reverbs I hear.

For what it's worth (microphone isn't great) here's an example of it.

There's three versions of the amp, one with a 10" speaker, one with 12" and the HW with 12". I just have the regular 12" one.

"All-Valve, the legendary VOX AC30 Top-Boost sound, now in a compact, portable amplifier!" http://www.voxamps.com/ac4c1-12

It does have a master volume but overall it was no good for me. I think the fact it is a tiny amp for a 12" speaker has a lot to do with it as well as the poor amp controls. The cabinet was almost closed back but had a small slit at the bottom and there was no division between the amp PCB and the speaker it was all in the same space.

For example I originally bought a G12H to replace the Celestion Seventy 80 but it was too big and hit the transformer. The Greenback G12M only just fits.

There are three versions, one of which (HW) is completely (ish) different from the other two. None of them sound like the AC30, nor does the AC15 as they have very different architecture.

Really nice, it's pretty versatile. Doesn't sound corny like most of the reverbs I hear.

That was soothing. What song is that and who is it by?

I'm only selling the DSL15C because I bought a DSL40C ;)

You did

Which speaker does the DSL40C have? I know from at least one dealer here (might be an exclusive thing?), you can get that amp, but with a celestion H creamback for the same price. I think they used to cost a bit more though.

Also, has anyone seen D3adstar recently? I wanted to share this with him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyyoNnQEpSc

absolute filth :love:

You did

Which speaker does the DSL40C have? I know from at least one dealer here (might be an exclusive thing?), you can get that amp, but with a celestion H creamback for the same price. I think they used to cost a bit more though.

Mine has the Seventy80 in the 40w which is very bright sounding from what I hear. I suspect that the Creamback would sound a lot nicer for the medium gain stuff as the amp is really a bit too bright. I modded the gain channel to make it match the green channel, which really helps.

I've not heard of any of the DSL40c's coming with aJTM looks. Same amp underneath though.

So you modded it to be exactly the same as the green channel? Or is it still higher gain?

The one thing I don't like about the DSL I have is that the channels are far from balanced in EQ, and they share the same controls... basically, the green channel is quite full sounding, and can almost be a little too bass-y at times, but if you switch to the red channel, it has very little low end unless you change the EQ settings.

Something I was looking at doing was having the deep switch automatically switch on for ONLY the red channel, but the voicing also changed, as only whales can hear the effect it currently has... so in other words, a resonance circuit that only kicks on for the red channel.

So you modded it to be exactly the same as the green channel? Or is it still higher gain?

The one thing I don't like about the DSL I have is that the channels are far from balanced in EQ, and they share the same controls... basically, the green channel is quite full sounding, and can almost be a little too bass-y at times, but if you switch to the red channel, it has very little low end unless you change the EQ settings.

Something I was looking at doing was having the deep switch automatically switch on for ONLY the red channel, but the voicing also changed, as only whales can hear the effect it currently has... so in other words, a resonance circuit that only kicks on for the red channel.

The 'mod' I did is hardly worthy of being called a mod. The red channel has a bright cap across the gain pot, which is what causes the imbalance in the tone between the channels.

Taking the cap out evens out the channels so that the red normal gain channel is basically the same as the green channel with more gain. It's much more usable for me, I typically only use the classic gain, rather than the ultra gain.

So wait.

Did your DSL have the same problem I described? I don't really want to change anything in the preamp section in mine, as I like the overall sound, but the channels just aren't balanced in how full they sound. Which is why I'm looking into having that resonance thing done.

And I forget what the different modes are called, but I really only use clean (non-virginal of course :rolleyes: ) on the green channel, and the lower gain of the two settings (lead 1) on the red channel. Still has more than enough gain though.

I certainly wouldn't mind having the crunch mode on the green channel foot switchable though, but I'm just using pedals for low-medium overdrive now

Sounds good, but now I've got severe GAS for a new amp. Also, about half the people I follow on instagram now are from here :LOL: K&T is life.

Sounds good, but now I've got severe GAS for a new amp. Also, about half the people I follow on instagram now are from here :LOL: K&T is life.

Good thing my AC30 isn't working properly, otherwise I'd have to make a 15 second clip on my iPhone 6 to make the G.A.S. even worse.

And just having a look, and I think I follow most people from here as well, but not quite half.

Got a bit startled by the amount of likes and followers I got when I made that video of the new born kaoss pad intro. Had to have been linked on one of those foreign speaking Facebook fan pages...

So wait.

Did your DSL have the same problem I described? I don't really want to change anything in the preamp section in mine, as I like the overall sound, but the channels just aren't balanced in how full they sound. Which is why I'm looking into having that resonance thing done.

And I forget what the different modes are called, but I really only use clean (non-virginal of course :rolleyes: ) on the green channel, and the lower gain of the two settings (lead 1) on the red channel. Still has more than enough gain though.

I certainly wouldn't mind having the crunch mode on the green channel foot switchable though, but I'm just using pedals for low-medium overdrive now

The exact same problem. I use the amp the same way you do it seems, so it would probably work for you too. I think the resonance thing is overcomplicating things, try snipping the cap and see how you get on. I too wish they'd made the clean/crunch mode footswitchable, but I guess that would have needed a third master vol because of the leap in volume?

That was soothing. What song is that and who is it by?

It's called Earth to Calm by one of my favourite artists Scott Matthews. A big follower of Guild guitars.

Oh my what a way to kick off a Sunday thanks.

That riff sounds very Sleep. But with even MORE filth, love it.

http://youtu.be/BSpRBjqXWOU

Eek, sorry. It's good for you in the long run ;)

Good thing my AC30 isn't working properly, otherwise I'd have to make a 15 second clip on my iPhone 6 to make the G.A.S. even worse.

And just having a look, and I think I follow most people from here as well, but not quite half.

Got a bit startled by the amount of likes and followers I got when I made that video of the new born kaoss pad intro. Had to have been linked on one of those foreign speaking Facebook fan pages...

Half was a wee bit on an exaggeration :LOL:. Think I missed that kaoss pad one when you posted it, but it seems you're #instafamous

Eek, sorry. It's good for you in the long run ;)

True.

The exact same problem. I use the amp the same way you do it seems, so it would probably work for you too. I think the resonance thing is overcomplicating things, try snipping the cap and see how you get on. I too wish they'd made the clean/crunch mode footswitchable, but I guess that would have needed a third master vol because of the leap in volume?

I'll try removing the cap first, but surely it won't make a massive difference if I have the control set at around 1 o clock to begin with? Maybe if I set it much lower than that, but I rarely do.

I wouldn't be surprised if this amp already had that cap clipped, as it's a little better sounding on the red channel than the other DSLs I've used, but I'll open it up and see. It has had the main board replaced with a brand new one as well, which I'm sure would alter the sound as it's got a few fixes.

And yeah, it would. There was this little module kit that someone used to sell, which added a jack for switching the clean/crunch modes, but I'm not sure how well it worked.

Oh my what a way to kick off a Sunday thanks.

That riff sounds very Sleep. But with even MORE filth, love it.

BSpRBjqXWOU

That is filthy.

Half was a wee bit on an exaggeration :LOL:. Think I missed that kaoss pad one when you posted it, but it seems you're #instafamous

I just follow the people from here plus a handful of other people, and the usual band profiles. And I have no idea what happened with that one. By far my most successful post, but the least serious one!

On the subject of amps... what pre-amp tubes do people like?

Generally I lean towards the Chinese made ones, but it really depends on the amp. They all have good and bad things about them in my opinion.

Are you considering changing some out in one of your amps?

Generally I lean towards the Chinese made ones, but it really depends on the amp. They all have good and bad things about them in my opinion.

Are you considering changing some out in one of your amps?

Managed to get a Svetlana EL34 cheap on eBay so going to try that in the SL5.

Couldn't find a conclusive answer as to whether any of the current production pre-amp tubes are better than the Shuguang ones for the SL5 so think I will just leave those alone.

Managed to get a Svetlana EL34 cheap on eBay so going to try that in the SL5.

Couldn't find a conclusive answer as to whether any of the current production pre-amp tubes are better than the Shuguang ones for the SL5 so think I will just leave those alone.

Generally I'd avoid the ones on eBay unless they're from a reputable seller that has sold LOTS of properly tested tubes and has good reviews.

When you say it's svetlana, it could be two different things. Either the new ones (which are made by the same company that does Sovtek, electro harmonix, and most other new russian tubes) or the older ones from before around 2000, which are different (and supposedly better)

Chances are it's one of the new ones, but still worth a try I guess.

As for preamp tubes, how many does the SL5 use? Guessing at least two. In high gain Marshall type amps, I generally put a new production tung sol 12AX7 in the first slot, and Chinese/Shuguang in the rest.

Can someone who owns a manson with a sustainer do me a massive favour.....

Need a sample of it holding the note of B for 10-20 seconds (with a slight bend towards the end) on harmonic mode. (think how MB uses the sustainer before playing the riffs at the end of SS)

Preferably recorded DI into an interface so I can run it through amplitube/revalver.

Ta.....