For playing the verse in sunburn, what picking pattern do you all use?

For some reason I can't play it as cleanly strictly using alternate picking, but rather

down, down, up, down, down, up

(using a delay for the extra notes of course)

Trying to figure out what makes the most sense...I can't really tell how MB plays it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhCOXHrL2zU

Matt's playing down up up up up up up

kinda like this

e----7------7---------

B------8------8-------

G--------9-------9---

D-9-------------------

A----------------------

E-----------------------

Interesting. I rarely find it easier to do continuous up strokes like that - I was actually taught to do economy picking (moving in the direction of the next string) but found certain things more difficult compared to alternate picking.

Isn't he alternating down/up notes in the verses? Certainly seems that way, as there's a bit of a pause at the start of each root note where there's a d-(pause)-d in the picking pattern.

--d-u-d-u-d-u-d-

e----7------7---------

B------8------8-------

G--------9-------9---

D-9-------------------

A----------------------

E-----------------------

Isn't he alternating down/up notes in the verses? Certainly seems that way, as there's a bit of a pause at the start of each root note where there's a d-(pause)-d in the picking pattern.

--d-u-d-u-d-u-d-

e----7------7---------

B------8------8-------

G--------9-------9---

D-9-------------------

A----------------------

E-----------------------

I think he was going between the two. Watching the intro he definitely up picks everything except the first note of each phrase but yeah having now watched both verses I think it's a mix of that and the alternate picking where he changes the pattern slightly so it's more of a

e-------7-----7------

B---------8-----8----

G----9------------9-

D-9------------------

A---------------------

E---------------------

Anyone ever tried the coated Ernie Ball's?

I'm getting pretty tired of the 3 unwound strings keep getting corroded so quickly :$

Alternatively, does anyone carry 10 -13 - 17 packs? I need to change them way more quickly than the 3 wound strings :$

I'm getting pretty tired of the 3 unwound strings keep getting corroded so quickly :$

Alternatively, does anyone carry 10 -13 - 17 packs? I need to change them way more quickly than the 3 wound strings :$

coated ernie balls felt really meh when i tried them

James, I can't really read the brand of this guitar : http://fr.aliexpress.com/store/product/Free-Shipping-Maple-Fingerboard-Electric-Guitar-with-Gig-bag-Accessories-Monochrom-High-Quality-musical-instrument-US/1379650_32346508915.html

But it seems really similar to the brand on the head of the white travel guitar, no ?

It does. Is there any information on that page about the brand? Guessing it's something generic. I think EKO makes more sense - it matches their style of guitar and everything, but I haven't found anything exactly like it

maybe try these. They're MB approved after all.

http://www.ernieball.com/products/electric-guitar-strings/1739/rps-10-slinky-nickel-wound

(Apparently that guy is EB's president)

I've got a couple of sets ordered to see if there's much of a difference. Going to put them on the copper to see how they handle abuse, as that one took a while to break in last time.

http://www.ernieball.com/products/electric-guitar-strings/1739/rps-10-slinky-nickel-wound

I've got a couple of sets ordered to see if there's much of a difference. Going to put them on the copper to see how they handle abuse, as that one took a while to break in last time.

I use these but they're not coated. Just the unwound strings are reinforced. Don't really know if they're any better than the regular ones.

:eek::pimp:

Damn that sounds :love: James you know what I like ;)

I can't even imagine how loud that must be to get that tone though.

such a percussive tone

Would the tweed bassman be much louder than the average JTM45? I know the circuits are nearly identical, but the parts aren't.

Not really a coincidence that Hendrix's best clean tones came from the 45/100 I guess.

I've actually tried these before. The wound strings are exactly the same as the Regular Slinky's. The 3 plain strings feel the same, but the string ends have more wraps(?) so they can supposedly take more abuse. Not coated though, so they rust pretty fast :$

detail_06.jpg

I changed the red guitar's strings last week and the 3 plain strings are already getting sticky. :(

Also: How are you supposed to use the 3-way toggle? I notice that if I push it too quickly it'll make a pretty noticeable sound when playing, so I have to grab the switch and move it gently. It's a new Switchcraft switch, so I don't think the switch is the problem? Both guitars seem to do this too

Edited by Cider

Looking back at some recordings I made on my iPhone 6, I don't know why I didn't take these any further yet... some seem like some decent enough ideas to work with...

There's quite a few on my phone too, but most sound like RATM rip-offs :LOL:. Still, that music memos app is pretty handy.

I changed the red guitar's strings last week and the 3 plain strings are already getting sticky. :(

Also: How are you supposed to use the 3-way toggle? I notice that if I push it too quickly it'll make a pretty noticeable sound when playing, so I have to grab the switch and move it gently. It's a new Switchcraft switch, so I don't think the switch is the problem? Both guitars seem to do this too

Do you clean your strings after playing?

Is it a kill switch? If it makes a sort of pop sound that's normal as far as I know.

Do you clean your strings after playing?

Is it a kill switch? If it makes a sort of pop sound that's normal as far as I know.

No and no. It's only a 3 way toggle to change between the pickups

There's quite a few on my phone too, but most sound like RATM rip-offs :LOL:. Still, that music memos app is pretty handy.

One does sound a bit RATM like, but that's inevitable. I do have one that's completely different (probably my best one) but I haven't bothered finishing it yet. It sort of has that same dark sound that lullabies to paralyze has. Or at least that's how I'd describe it.

Most other stuff I have saved is just individual riffs that I thought could be used one way or another.

You mean MUSE riffs?

Exactly.

Also, I like your attention to detail. Not many people put MUSE in all caps.

Percussive indeed.

Poor Jimi, if he'd lived he would be deaf as a post.

Yeah. Pete Townshend for example is almost completely deaf at this point it seems... guessing a lot had to do with those hiwatt stacks!

For what it's worth, I had a sound city 120 watt several years ago (probably a bit similar to the hiwatts). It was scary how loud that amp was.