4.16.2014 Fans launch petition for Muse to play 20th anniversary gig

JessicaSarahS

So many people against this petition, if they announced the gig (which I'm sure they won't) would you go to the gig?

Because if you say yes then you're an hypocrite

So, if people would have gone to the gig regardless, they are now hypocrites because someone unrelated made a petition they don't agree with the methods of?

Next it would be "people who haven't heard of the petition shouldn't be able to get tickets over those who signed it."

Although, tbh, I would probably feel a bit awkward at the gig, knowing it was sort of coerced... but that's just me.

I didn't have too many feelings about this, hard or otherwise, until the media got involved.

Now the band is put into a position where they give in, or when they don't, the media gets to make a giant fuss making the band look bad, and drive traffic over it.

And they should have just staid the fuck out of it, but of course they won't, because that's apparently their (useless) function in the world...

So, if people would have gone to the gig regardless, they are now hypocrites because someone unrelated made a petition they don't agree with the methods of?

Next it would be "people who haven't heard of the petition shouldn't be able to get tickets over those who signed it."

Although, tbh, I would probably feel a bit awkward at the gig, knowing it was sort of coerced... but that's just me.

I didn't have too many feelings about this, hard or otherwise, until the media got involved.

Now the band is put into a position where they give in, or when they don't, the media gets to make a giant fuss making the band look bad, and drive traffic over it.

And they should have just staid the fuck out of it, but of course they won't, because that's apparently their (useless) function in the world...

If anything Muse will (hopefully) just learn that running your mouth and making promises that you then never mention again is really shitty when they know (and often mention) how hardcore their fans are.

Poor Muse, being put in a situation where they have to keep their word.

I specifically mentioned people against it, not people who've never heard of the petition, which, with all the media coverage, aren't that many.

But if you feel so bad for the band, basically saying that they're being forced to do this gig, and then you go then yea, that's hypocrisy.

Poor Muse, being put in a situation where they have to keep their word.

I would never say Matt maybe shouldn't keep his mouth shut sometimes, but on the other hand, I don't want them put in a position where they can't say "we would LIKE to do this" etc. and they start never saying anything at all. They say little enough the way it is.

So, as for "promising" and "giving us their word" 99% of everything said was "we would like to do this" or "we're thinking about doing this."

The problem was Bellamy trying to calm people down by saying "hey, cool it, we're going to do it again" basically, after the Zepp.

He shouldn't have done that; I couldn't disagree with that.

It was a huge mistake.

I honestly think the people of Sweden, and potentially the people of Brazil (because god help Muse if MM is forgotten about) have even more reason to be pissed, as there were ACTUAL promises made.

What pisses me off is the narrow-mindedness of the people bitching about the people who are uncomfortable with this petition issue.

"Agree with us or you're fucking stupid" is a great example, and is almost always paired with some bullshit about how those people also think Muse can do no wrong, trying to undermine any dissenting opinion.

Ignore the people who have genuine concerns that things like this undermine the image of petitions like this in general, too.

I dislike the media getting involved in this issue, no matter which side I would happen to fall on if I had originally gave enough of a shit to have a side, because it's gotten blown so out of proportion.

I mean, my fucking mother called me to talk about this, and I haven't talked to her in ages, and live in the US besides.

One person who is involved in and makes a living from, "Muse" made a poorly thought out statement, and then didn't have the good sense to ever explain himself, which people thought was disrespectful, and maybe were even right to an extent.

And now besides just some fringe fans on the Internet, the media is set to make the band, and everyone involved, look like cunts.

I don't fully buy into the "no press is bad press" idea.

And, the backlash of this could also fall onto fans who weren't involved, or even aware.

And, in keeping with that, I'm going to move on with my life...

Edited by SerpentSatellite

First of all:

I honestly think the people of Sweden have even more reason to be pissed, as there were ACTUAL promises made.

We are.

What pisses me off is the narrow-mindedness of the people bitching about the people who are uncomfortable with this petition issue.

"Agree with us or you're fucking stupid" is a great example, and is almost always paired with some bullshit about how those people also think Muse can do no wrong, trying to undermine any dissenting opinion.

Ignore the people who have genuine concerns that things like this undermine the image of petitions like this in general, too.

If your outrage is about this undermining the image of petitions then you're a good couple of years late to the party.

One person who comprises, and makes a living from, "Muse" made a poorly thought out statement, and then didn't have the good sense to ever explain himself, which people thought was disrespectful, and maybe were even right to an extent.

And now besides just some fringe fans on the Internet, the media is set to make the band, and everyone involved, look like cunts.

I don't fully buy into the "no press is bad press" idea.

It IS disrespectful. But even aside from that, this petition isn't doing any harm. And neither is the media drawing attention to it. So what if they get portrayed as cunts? That's just a consequence of running your mouth and spouting shit to a fanbase that you KNOW is hardcore and will follow you around the world whenever possible. It's about time they get called out on bullshit like this.

I don't know if you remember the summer setlist polls from 2010. The band would "endeavour" to play as many of the top 5 songs as they could at the summer gigs. In the end they settled for playing the same shit they always did with the occasional inclusion of CE and Bliss when it suited them. So even in the wording it was fairly clear that they had no intention of following through with it. Did they get called out on it? We called them out here on the board. Did it reach the media or even Muse themselves? Nope. They gave precisely zero fucks about it.

As you said, it was a poor decision for Bellz to post what he did. But he did it, and then they had talked about it in interviews as well, and therefore they should expect some form of backlash for it. They essentially made a promise that a lot of hardcore fans were really looking forward to, and then they expect us to just forget it without any explanation. That is disrespectful imho, and they should be called out for it.

First of all:

We are.

If your outrage is about this undermining the image of petitions then you're a good couple of years late to the party.

It IS disrespectful. But even aside from that, this petition isn't doing any harm. And neither is the media drawing attention to it. So what if they get portrayed as cunts? That's just a consequence of running your mouth and spouting shit to a fanbase that you KNOW is hardcore and will follow you around the world whenever possible. It's about time they get called out on bullshit like this.

I don't know if you remember the summer setlist polls from 2010. The band would "endeavour" to play as many of the top 5 songs as they could at the summer gigs. In the end they settled for playing the same shit they always did with the occasional inclusion of CE and Bliss when it suited them. So even in the wording it was fairly clear that they had no intention of following through with it. Did they get called out on it? We called them out here on the board. Did it reach the media or even Muse themselves? Nope. They gave precisely zero fucks about it.

As you said, it was a poor decision for Bellz to post what he did. But he did it, and then they had talked about it in interviews as well, and therefore they should expect some form of backlash for it. They essentially made a promise that a lot of hardcore fans were really looking forward to, and then they expect us to just forget it without any explanation. That is disrespectful imho, and they should be called out for it.

Ahhhh, the sweet sight of 'correct' is so beautiful in the evening.

Dee, I don't disagree with most anything you just said there, in theory.

And yes, I think I remember the setlist polls; assuming those were the ones where they let people also vote on shit they were going to play anyways, like SS and KoC?

Yes, the band (not just Matt... but kinda mostly...) pops their mouths off about shit, and shouldn't.

I don't really follow any other big bands to know if this is a Muse-centric problem... but assume it probably isn't.

Should Matt have said something and maybe even apologized for getting people's hopes up? Yes.

Should Tom have shut the fuck up about the Zepp release if it wasn't going to happen? Abso-fucking-lutely.

Am I late to the party with petition rage? Yeah, probably. But I can maintain my anger for a hell of a long time. Ask my boyfriend.

I still don't like this issue.

I would have liked their to be a different way it could have been handled, without the media shitstorm.

I don't think it's fair to say it's acceptable damage that so many people are now aware of this issue, which impacted so relatively few, and jumping on the bad press bandwagon.

If the gig happens, I would be concerned about what this could mean going forward, not just for Muse, but for any band/etc. having even the slightest issues being open game for this sort of event.

I'm concerned things like this could make Muse, or anyone else, much MUCH more likely to ignore their fans entirely in the future; no more giving in and playing Dead Star because of some signs, no more social media, no more Fury for some girl's gig anniversary, and the most boring stock-answer interviews of all time (I mean, more than normal... if that's possible.)

Sure, that would also mean no broken promises, no false hopes, but I'm not convinced it's the best answer.

And moreso, these are my beliefs, and I can RESPECT that others have theirs while still expressing my own concerns.

I'm capable of understanding how others see this issue, but I just plain don't agree with parts of it. Welcome to life.

I like to spout my mouth off about things because (I'm bored) and because maybe I can point something out to someone they haven't thought of... or maybe someone can do the same for me.

But, instead all I see is people saying "oh boo fucking hoo" and calling people "retards."

Edited by SerpentSatellite

If you fuck up once, fair enough. If you fuck up, then support that fuckup for months, before leaving the idea without an explanation or excuse or even any mention of it, you don't end up with happy fans, pretty simple.

Add the fact that muse have been bullshitting the fans like this for years, and it's about fucking time Muse get some bad press.

u fucking wot?

Did I get my double negatives wrong?

Typing fast on my phone isn't the best of things.

"Bellamy sometimes says things he shouldn't; or at least that he hasn't thought out very well. He pisses people off a lot of times because of it, myself included (although not really on this issue, but plenty of times in the past.) Some of this anger is even well placed.

Of course, we all do this.

It mostly just doesn't matter because we're not famous, and no one really fucking cares what we have to say."

I guess would be the long version.

Did I get my double negatives wrong?

Typing fast on my phone isn't the best of things.

"Bellamy sometimes says things he shouldn't; or at least that he hasn't thought out very well. He pisses people off a lot of times because of it, myself included (although not really on this issue, but plenty of times in the past.) Some of this anger is even well placed.

Of course, we all do this.

It mostly just doesn't matter because we're not famous, and no one really fucking cares what we have to say."

I guess would be the long version.

And pretty much every other famous person has the decency to apologise or at least address their fuckups.

Maybe they haven't addressed it because it's something they haven't completely ruled out. I am not sure why anyone gives "oh we are done touring and playing until 2015" any more stock than "oh 20th anniversary rehearsal gig hurr' kwim?

I've got nothing against the petition I just don't give enough of a shit to sign it I guess. :awesome:

I still don't like this issue.

I would have liked their to be a different way it could have been handled, without the media shitstorm.

I don't think it's fair to say it's acceptable damage that so many people are now aware of this issue, which impacted so relatively few, and jumping on the bad press bandwagon.

I don't know what articles you've read, but calling it a "media shitstorm" is a load of crap.

If the gig happens, I would be concerned about what this could mean going forward, not just for Muse, but for any band/etc. having even the slightest issues being open game for this sort of event.

I'm concerned things like this could make Muse, or anyone else, much MUCH more likely to ignore their fans entirely in the future; no more giving in and playing Dead Star because of some signs, no more social media, no more Fury for some girl's gig anniversary, and the most boring stock-answer interviews of all time (I mean, more than normal... if that's possible.)

Sure, that would also mean no broken promises, no false hopes, but I'm not convinced it's the best answer.

I don't see why it would. Muse logic says that this is entirely possible, because it's always all or nothing with these guys, but I'd like to give them more credit than that.

And besides, they get loads of credit when they actually do stuff like that. They've got loads of credit for being so open and spontaneous this tour, especially when you compare it to the disaster that was the TR tour. So why shouldn't they be able to take some criticism? They're fair game just like any other band or public figure.

As for the interviews: their interviews are always boring anyway. At a stretch like 1 in 10 interviews actually contains something even slightly interesting for someone who isn't completely new to the band and/or braindead.

But, instead all I see is people saying "oh boo fucking hoo" and calling people "retards."

Because if anything, the people who are against the petition are precisely the people who have turned it into a "shitstorm" amongst fans. Sitting up on their high horse with lofty arguments to support their outrage.

I don't really have faith in change.org - just because I signed petitions on there doesn't mean (for example, as I signed these) BBC3 is going to stay on the air, or that the moron that owns my favourite football team will go, or that a rock club down the road from where I live is going to escape closure by the town's council.

As for this petition, I'm staying neutral. If it works, great - I'll see if I can go and be pleased the petition worked. If not, no bother - it might mean the new album is out sooner, plus there's other bands around. I accept Bellamy shouldn't have blabbed about it if it wasn't going to happen, and that part is annoying, but its not something I can find myself being too worked up about.

It's just really surprising how many people are acting shocked that Muse isn't keeping their word on something. Life is easier with low expectations. Or maybe I'm just turning into one of those jaded Muse fans. Meh. Muse.

Edit: Or maybe it's more that I'm surprised people still want to argue over the fact that Muse isn't keeping their word on something. Well, this is the Muse board. Arguing is fun.

Edited by Furygirl

It's just really surprising how many people are acting shocked that Muse isn't keeping their word on something. Life is easier with low expectations. Or maybe I'm just turning into one of those jaded Muse fans. Meh. Muse.

Edit: Or maybe it's more that I'm surprised people still want to argue over the fact that Muse isn't keeping their word on something. Well, this is the Muse board. Arguing is fun.

What does it matter if this is the 10th or the 100th time they don't keep their word or break a promise? It's still a shitty thing to do and it's really disrespectful to fans.

It's not like they forgot about the whole anniversary thing, behind the scenes there was probably a bit of work put in or Matt got sick and threw the idea out in order to write music. Older material is obviously on their minds and next tour is going to be very interesting to say the least. Especially if they stick to the whole "staying in cities two nights instead of one" like they mentioned with the big arena show and the small theaters. Hell, they've mentioned putting something out this year so who knows if there's going to be a 10th anniversary to the Earls Court shows or something.

Things happened, they wanted to get in the studio rather than rehearsing a bunch of old material they may or may not continue playing in the future. Japan got one hell of a treat and that sucks for everyone that wasn't there but it's a couple of songs. Whatever, excuse me for not crying a river over a bunch of fans in the UK not being able to see Muse in a couple clubs after having an entire leg of arenas and an entire leg of stadium gigs (affordable public transport system/lodging is a thing there + Brighton to Carlisle only being a 6 hour drive).

Edited by Alexander DeLarge

It's not like they forgot about the whole anniversary thing, behind the scenes there was probably a bit of work put in or Matt got sick and threw the idea out in order to write music. Older material is obviously on their minds and next tour is going to be very interesting to say the least. Especially if they stick to the whole "staying in cities two nights instead of one" like they mentioned with the big arena show and the small theaters. Hell, they've mentioned putting something out this year so who knows if there's going to be a 10th anniversary to the Earls Court shows or something.

Things happened, they wanted to get in the studio rather than rehearsing a bunch of old material they may or may not continue playing in the future. Japan got one hell of a treat and that sucks for everyone that wasn't there but it's a couple of songs. Whatever, excuse me for not crying a river over a bunch of fans in the UK not being able to see Muse in a couple clubs after having an entire leg of arenas and an entire leg of stadium gigs (public transport + Brighton to Carlisle only being a 6 hour drive).

You are such a shit troll.

You are such a shit troll.

I'm not a troll. I'm sick of European fans bitching about gigs not being played near them or them not seeing them enough. Longer sets, more shows on average within reasonable distance, better material (until this tour I'll give them credit on that one) + bigger/smaller gigs + transport is easier, shorter and cheaper. Then I saw people complaining about Muse playing anniversary shows ONLY in the UK and they wanted them in Russia/France/Germany too. I looked it up, I can get from Russia to London with $325, round trip.

Hell, even Swedish fans can get from Stockholm to Helsinki for $110-$120 and be there in an hour.

Those points aren't what the past few pages of argument have been about.

I'm just saying it sucks that UK fans aren't going to have a third leg of touring during the past year and a half, but they're already getting preferential treatment compared to everyone else, I won't lose any sleep at night because *insert username here* won't get to see them in a small venue and hear a couple rare songs.

Good riddance to the anniversary shows anyways because it'd just cause butt hurt everywhere, including the hardcore fans that actually live there because ticketing would be a nightmare.