4.16.2014 Fans launch petition for Muse to play 20th anniversary gig

JessicaSarahS

This is obviously true, never denied it. But the petition still asks for a gig and not for an explanation. The fact that we'll most likely be given one is a coincidence. The petition wasn't made to get one, it was made because who created it lives in the UK and wanted a gig too this year.

And while I said that the whole thing most likely won't have any negative outcome, please allow me to disagree with the way it's been done.

A petition asking for an explanation would suggest that the fans actually do have some sense of entitlement. The fact that it asks for a gig to be played gives Muse more room to respond to it, be that through a "we're working on album 7" answer or something else.

Personally, I'm not too bothered if Muse play an anniversary gig, but I would however, like them to confirm in way or another. The end justifies the means.

I'm so bored with this whole argument, really

I would if you could actually explain why you disagree. So far you've just mentioned several times that you "disagree with the way it's been done".

Didn't I explain in my boat? And what sade said is pretty much how I see it too.

Really don't see how anyone can be against a petition like this. Are petitions dumb? Yep, every one of them. Do they work? Rarely, if ever. Did I sign this one? You're damn right I did.

If you don't agree with the way this is being done: fuck you, you're dumb. This is by far the friendliest opportunity we've ever had to call Muse out on their dumb bullshit, and the fact that it has been picked up by websites like NME and Gigwise just gives it an extra bit of impact. Will they choose to ignore the petition? Almost certainly. But they still need to be called out when they run their mouths and then expect us to just forget about it like we're stupid. Especially when they expect us to forget about something that they KNOW FOR A FACT is important to a lot of people.

Like Simon, I really don't get why Fabri has suddenly gone soft and is crying about this petition. This is literally the best opportunity we've ever had to call them out, and it's not even being done in a harsh (the entitlement argument is just so incredibly stupid) way.

A sense of entitlement for an answer to be given, which is totally fine.

"Muse fans demand to know why band refuse to play gigs for their 20th anniversary".

If Muse fans demand an answer that suggests that they also expected a gig to be played, therefore demonstrating the entitlement you're railing against. You say that Matt (or Muse) didn't promise anything, but that's clearly not the case (Matt's tweet). So why shouldn't he (they) be held accountable for it?

It's all in the wording anyway. The petition in its current form doesn't even ask a question, as you can see.

"The fans would love to see Muse celebrate their 20th anniversary in style for 1 night only in the UK. Whether that be in their hometown of Teignmouth or a small venue in London. It's not every day a band can celebrate their 20 years together and while they are about to start recording their 7th album, it would be fun for both the Muse boys and their fans to play at a venue with no expensive productions involved."

I'm not quite sure how anybody could read any 'negative entitlement' from that. Muse could answer that in any way they see fit, without offending too many people.

Are you kidding?

Fabri has always been the 'biggest' muse fan here. He's taken over BarryC's mantel in that defence in blind idiocy regard.

What the fuck are you talking about?

dat BarryC response

If you don't agree with the way this is being done: fuck you, you're dumb.

Not as bad as this dumb way of arguing.

"Muse fans demand to know why band refuse to play gigs for their 20th anniversary".

If Muse fans demand an answer that suggests that they also expected a gig to be played, therefore demonstrating the entitlement you're railing against. You say that Matt (or Muse) didn't promise anything, but that's clearly not the case (Matt's tweet). So why shouldn't he (they) be held accountable for it?

It's all in the wording anyway. The petition in its current form doesn't even ask a question, as you can see.

"The fans would love to see Muse celebrate their 20th anniversary in style for 1 night only in the UK. Whether that be in their hometown of Teignmouth or a small venue in London. It's not every day a band can celebrate their 20 years together and while they are about to start recording their 7th album, it would be fun for both the Muse boys and their fans to play at a venue with no expensive productions involved."

I'm not quite sure how anybody could read any 'negative entitlement' from that. Muse could answer that in any way they see fit, without offending too many people.

I never said "Muse didn't promise anything", I did say "Muse never promised it multiple times" in a reply to Simon stating the opposite.

It's not all in the wording. It's all in what the whole thing looks like. "The fans would love to see Muse celebrate etc. etc." is just a polite-looking way of asking for a gig. And the fact that it's all done through a change.org petition backed by Gigwise and NME is what annoys me.

The best way to have an answer for me would have been making sure to ask them personally both last year (second half) and this year when meeting them before/after gigs, without any official petition bullshit.

Launching a petion again shows a wrong sense of entitlement and the bizarre notion that you are somehow making an official statement the band should be somehow more obliged to listen to and pay attention to.

What utter horseshit.

How the does petitioning equate to entitlement? I don't feel Muse own me anything, but I am supportive of an anniversary show, hence I signed.

I personally don't think the band have made anything that remotely resembles a formal promise, particularly given Matt's record for making statements.

I really cannot believe the level of fuss people are making about this, on both sides of the argument.

EDIT: I agree the petition is worded horrendously.

Not as bad as this dumb way of arguing.

It's simple wording to get through thick skulls, but obviously it's not working.

Also lol at how a petition backed by huge news sites is anything even remotely close to "friendly".

Why not? They're just bringing attention to a petition that in itself is worded in a very friendly way, as mentioned before. I'm almost certain that your fake outrage here is because the petition has gone into the mainstream, and you're still a dirty hipster.

You're awfully harsh for someone who doesn't even know what the petition is about. Read it and you might find out that there it doesn't actually state that it would have to be a club tour, or even a club gig.

Maybe it's a good idea for you to read things in the future, before slagging them off.

My first post was more generally referring to the outcry over no anniversary tour than over the petition itself, and I maintain that it was foolish to expect that one of the largest bands in the UK would be able to logistically pull off a small club tour in their home country without insane scalping, but whatever, that's not relevant anymore and I'm hardly an expert in tour management.

You're right, I should've read the petition before slagging it off, but after doing so, my opinion on it has not changed in the slightest. For me it seems to have the same level of maturity as making a thread asking for gigs in Turkey or wherever, and a petition on Change.org feels just feels like the wrong medium to me. Again I say "whatever". If you think it's an important cause to call Muse out on all their "bullshit", go right ahead and if you think that this is the way to do so, so be it. That doesn't mean I have to agree. And for the record, Fabri disagreeing with the use of a petition doesn't equate to him "switching sides". This doesn't make any sense.

Muse don't owe us a thing. If you don't like the product they're selling that's just tough luck for you, and you should take your money and time elsewhere, instead of complaining that you were somehow cheated.

And @Dee: Is it possible for you to argue/debate/discuss/etc without sounding like you got your cock stuck in a rose bush?

Well this escalated quickly.

If you don't agree with the way this is being done: fuck you, you're dumb.

Oh meow. :srsb33f: Lol.

What utter horseshit.

How the does petitioning equate to entitlement? I don't feel Muse own me anything, but I am supportive of an anniversary show, hence I signed.

Petitions have a historical background as being used as vehicles for change and root-level activism. Granted, the internet era has turned them into mostly completely useless tools for people's illusions of active participation for whatever topic might cross their minds at the moment, whether crying over the cancellation of Heroes or supporting "Invisible Children" after seeing a short Youtube video on a complex topic; it's just so easy to click an agreement and think you're making a difference. However, signing a petition with your own name still means taking a stand for something, and using a platform meant for real life issues just highlights the disparity between what is important and what is not. And yes, I do know other people use the site for similarly frivolous campaigns, but that just shows they lack perspective as well.

So let me get this right, when someone lunched a poll to select the songs we fans would love they played live nowdays (and I remember back then everyone talking about 20th anniversary gigs as a possible scenario to do it), trying somehow influence them to play those songs, that's totally ok. But asking about a especial gig it self for their 20th anniversary is muse fans and their sense of entitlement... :stunned:

Logic, go get f*cked :)

Muse don't owe us a thing. If you don't like the product they're selling that's just tough luck for you, and you should take your money and time elsewhere, instead of complaining that you were somehow cheated.

Good thing that's not what anyone is talking about then.

So is the idea here that the band will see the petition and realise that the fans were looking forward to this, making them want to do it for the fans? My understanding of petitions is that you use them to basically force people to take action on some matter for PR reasons basically. If it's to force them to do it I'm not sure what the point is.

I don't really have strong feelings about this, but I don't think the band would pay any attention to an internet petition personally.