4.16.2014 Fans launch petition for Muse to play 20th anniversary gig

JessicaSarahS

Fans call for band to play special one-off show

16th April 2014 by Andrew Trendell

Muse fans have launched a petition for the band to play a special one-off gig in the UK to mark their 20th anniversary as a band.

The Devonshire space-rock trio formed in Teignmouth in 1994, and have teased fans by hinting that they might have something special planned. However, recently the band have stated that this weekend's second instalment of Coachella is their last confirmed gig of the year before they head into the studio to start work on their upcoming seventh album.

As a result of the lack of UK shows, Musers have come together to call for the band to play a special commemorative gig. See and sign the petition here.

The petition reads:

"The fans would love to see Muse celebrate their 20th anniversary in style for 1 night only in the UK. Whether that be in their hometown of Teignmouth or a small venue in London. It's not every day a band can celebrate their 20 years together and while they are about to start recording their 7th album, it would be fun for both the Muse boys and their fans to play at a venue with no expensive productions involved.

"I hope this petition will find it's way to Matt, Chris and Dom and they can see how much the fans love them and just want 1 night to celebrate!"

Last year, Muse played a bizarre set packed with rareties, b-sides and old favourites at The Zepp in Tokyo, Japan, before frontman Matt Bellamy then responded by Tweeting:

"@MattBellamy

Hey, relax; that's was just a rehearsal for our 20 year anniversary tour!"

The news comes after the suggestion was aired earlier in 2014, when drummer, Dom Howard, teased fans by saying that the band, now used to stadium and headlining festivals, might play a 'little club' show in 2014.

Read more at http://www.gigwise.com/news/90249/muse-fans-launch-petition-for-band-to-play-20th-anniversary-gig#pHqzgPGfAU3qQMl8.99

Sign the petition here: http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/muse-20th-anniversary-gig-1-night-only-gig-to-celebrate-20-years-of-muse

Ugh …

I'd rather have a new album than a one off anniversary show that would be damn near impossible to get to. Also, it's just 20 years since they more or less formed, not since they released their first album. The only recordings we have from near that time are a VHS recording of a Battle of the Bands and the Newton Abbot Demo.

I say wait until 2019 for the Showbiz 20th, then people can get their knickers in a twist.

It's pretty much already done its job probably. Now that it's been mentioned in some article, the band are likely to hear about it and realize yet again the fans' displeasure at something they mentioned and failed to follow up on.

I'd rather they stay in the studio. And it's not like they'd stop everything and say "OMG we were supposed to do a 20th Anniversary tour! Put down the accordion Matt, our fans need us." Even if it's just a one off, it would still involve a lot of time, discussion and logistics.

I'd stopped thinking quite awhile ago that these gigs would happen and I never felt entitled to them anyway. The band probably tried to make them happen and for some reason it didn't work and now they prefer to go to the studio anyway. Cool, new material soon.

But I don't quite get why some people are so upset about the petition. I've read some really nasty comments towards the band and IMO some people are exagerating in their disappointment at the lack of the tour and THAT I really do not condone... But I don't see any of that or any sense of entitlement in the actual petition..? It's just fans asking the band for a gig, that's all. There have been other "petitions" far more errr ridiculous. As long as it's asked nicely (lol), really don't think it comes across as being disrespectful or entitled. Or are people who sign the petition leaving nasty comments?

Besides, this is Muse. They always do as they please. They won't do a gig or a tour only cos we asked on a petition online :p Tbh, I'm kinda thinking that if they realise how badly fans wanted a gig, though, perhaps they'll gives us some bonus stuff that wasn't in the plans, like Zepp or other stuff :D

Edited by mjartrod

DO NOT SIGN THIS UTTER SHIT !

Muse fans can be real dicks, this disgusts me, so fuckin selfish !

Yeah, Muse fans suck. I wonder where we got this selfish idea about anniversary gigs from? Fucking dick fans.

Oh...

Dont think it would be fair to knock the people doing the petition, its their view on things and so far its not anything offensive and/or harmful:) Besides, its not like its some random petition about something out of the blue or totally sudden

If they do it they'll play a gig in London in a 15k capacity venue and pretend that a dodgy livestream will suffice for the rest of the planet who don't have superfast broadband and no work to be at on a Friday morning or qualms with handing £450 to touts.

If they do it they'll play a gig in London in a 15k capacity venue and pretend that a dodgy livestream will suffice for the rest of the planet who don't have superfast broadband and no work to be at on a Friday morning or qualms with handing £450 to touts.

Big 'if'' though. Is a shame because for once, I was actually starting to believe what Matt was saying...

I don't see that fans are being selfish or nagging or that they have a sense of entitlement. I got the impression that the band would be working on the new album in London anyway so there wouldn't be a problem with logistics, especially if they did a stripped-down set, just themselves performing without all the extras. So what if not every Muse fan in the world is able to go? Not every Muse fan in the world could get to Rio or Coachella but at least some of us did. As long as Matt's health wouldn't be put at risk, I don't think it would kill them or seriously delay the new album if they played ONE gig.

Has anyone considered that a club tour might be a bit of a logistical nightmare for such a big band?

Yes. That's why the petition asks them to play one gig.

'If anything a one-off, no-pressure gig would do them good as a break from recording anyway. Only thing is the older rarities would have to be rehearsed. -shrug- '

Musicians who are as talented as the members of Muse don't need too much rehearsal if they just play the music and don't have videos, pyrotechnics etc.

Musicians who are as talented as the members of Muse don't need too much rehearsal if they just play the music and don't have videos, pyrotechnics etc.

Wrong, if the setlist is made of old songs they haven't played in a while. And Muse are perfectionists so they would rehearse a lot even for just one gig.

I really doubt they'd focus on a gig for weeks in the middle of their album sessions.

It's not stupid, its probably the most effective way to get the attention of the band. Even if they still decided not to do anything it could possibly lead to explanation of why they decided against it or even encourage them to release the Zepp DVD - both of which are a result in my opinion.