4.16.2014 Fans launch petition for Muse to play 20th anniversary gig

JessicaSarahS

Has anyone considered that a club tour might be a bit of a logistical nightmare for such a big band?

Honestly I didn't read the petition, because the whole thing seems fucking stupid to me.

You're awfully harsh for someone who doesn't even know what the petition is about. Read it and you might find out that there it doesn't actually state that it would have to be a club tour, or even a club gig.

Maybe it's a good idea for you to read things in the future, before slagging them off.

Wrong, if the setlist is made of old songs they haven't played in a while. And Muse are perfectionists so they would rehearse a lot even for just one gig.

I really doubt they'd focus on a gig for weeks in the middle of their album sessions.

I'm a musician and I know a lot of professional musicians and it doesn't matter how long it's been since you played stuff; people who are this talented and experienced could probably manage a one-off gig with one or at most two rehearsals. Playing new songs requires more rehearsal than songs you're already familiar with. Professional classical musicians usually have two rehearsals to one concert even when performing music they don't already know. Muse know their own songs inside out and only need to go over them a couple of times.

Edited by maturefan

I'm a musician and I know a lot of professional musicians and it doesn't matter how long it's been since you played stuff; people who are this talented and experienced could probably manage a one-off gig with one or at most two rehearsals. Playing new songs requires more rehearsal than songs you're already familiar with. Professional classical musicians usually have two rehearsals to one concert even when performing music they don't already know. Muse know their own songs inside out and only need to go over them a couple of times.

Noap.

You mean the Matt it took ages for to remember the CE chords, only a year or so after playing it?

If anything a one-off, no-pressure gig would do them good as a break from recording anyway. Only thing is the older rarities would have to be rehearsed. -shrug-

Would Matt or Chris have to pull a Krist Novoselic and buy a tab book to relearn some old parts :LOL:

I know Dom had to re-learn Screenager for the R+L 2011 shows by watching old vids

Honestly, where are people dragging all this 'it'll be oh so difficult' nonsense from?

Booking a venue would be no issue at all, sorting some half-way decent way to do the tickets would be easy (yes, it's going to be tough for 99.99% of people who want to go, that's life), learning a few oldies/fan favourites would take a couple of days rehearsal (Muse's songs are pretty simple on the whole), there would be no need for any kind of 'production' - book a venue, get some lights, play, done, move on.

I'm not saying Muse SHOULD do it, it's entirely their call - even if thousands sign the petition - I'm just saying it wouldn't be a logistical problem in any way, shape or form. If Prince was able to pull it off over several nights in London, I'm sure Muse are capable.

Why? :erm:.

First of all, change.org "Enables anyone, anywhere to start a petition, mobilize support, and win change in anything from local concerns to global issues... We want to accelerate this dramatic shift – by making it easier to make a difference, and by inspiring everyone to discover what's possible when they stand up and speak out. We're working for a world where no one is powerless, and where creating change is a part of everyday life." The petitions highlighted on the first page deal with human rights and other serious concerns. Using the platform for frivolous topics like asking a band to perform is in bad taste and makes the petition to have a completely misguided sense of importance. (Many people have issues with internet petions in general, questioning their effectiveness and point, but that's another issue)

Secondly, it's similar to launching a campaign to ask the band to perform a certain song/s - tweet the band about it, organise a group of signs at a concert- fine. Launching a petion again shows a wrong sense of entitlement and the bizarre notion that you are somehow making an official statement the band should be somehow more obliged to listen to and pay attention to.

I don't get the entitlement argument. Muse have fucking promised, several times that it's happening, and then they just stop mentioning it, hoping that the fans might not remember it.

The fans ARE entitled to something after Muses constant bullshitting, year after year.

I like how it somehow makes a difference how many times Muse promise something, like if it isn't above 5, it's not worth taking seriously.

That alone should be a sign that muse need to get their shit together. The weird fact that you've started defending their bullshitting after years of making fun of it is even weirder though. Get your shit together, fabri.

It just annoys me how fabri suddenly switched side and oh, now Matt isn't the biggest bullshitter in the world anymore...at least not when calling him out on it comes at the expense of Muse's opinion of their fans or something, I dunno. Better not make them feel even slightly uncomfortable over making empty promises to their fans for years anyway. Matt doesn't make that make empty promises etc.

I'm not even butthurt over the bullshitting, I'm just annoyed over how suddenly everyone backs out on calling muse out on it, now that we actually have the chance to do so.

But after being promised something, how are you not supposed to feel any entitlement towards it? I mean muse haven't even given us an excuse.

Tell me, without defending Muse, why muse fans are not entitled to at least an explanation. This petition is, like it should be obvious already, a great way to call them out on it, and force them to actually communicate with their fans. Unless they wanna look like assholes ofc, which is where I guess that this whole thing will fall apart.

Tell me, without defending Muse, why muse fans are not entitled to at least an explanation.

This is obviously true, never denied it. But the petition still asks for a gig and not for an explanation. The fact that we'll most likely be given one is a coincidence. The petition wasn't made to get one, it was made because who created it lives in the UK and wanted a gig too this year.

And while I said that the whole thing most likely won't have any negative outcome, please allow me to disagree with the way it's been done.

This is obviously true, never denied it. But the petition still asks for a gig and not for an explanation. The fact that we'll most likely be given one is a coincidence. The petition wasn't made to get one, it was made because who created it lives in the UK and wanted a gig too this year.

And while I said that the whole thing most likely won't have any negative outcome, please allow me to disagree with the way it's been done.

Well then tell me why muse fans aren't entitled to asking for a gig after being promised one.

I would if you could actually explain why you disagree. So far you've just mentioned several times that you "disagree with the way it's been done".