Muse - Greatest Hits

Spectrum IV

Why would anybody even want a best of cd? Why would you want to buy another cd with music on it that you already have on a different cd? If you want the best of muse, why not just make your own? Don't really understand the logic in this thread :stunned:

Why would anybody even want a best of cd? Why would you want to buy another cd with music on it that you already have on a different cd? If you want the best of muse, why not just make your own? Don't really understand the logic in this thread :stunned:

Well, there's always a period in a commercially great band's carrier in which a Greatest Hits, or a "Best Singles" collection, or an assembly of rarities is released.

Radiohead did it, Placebo did it, Deep Purple did it, Pink Floyd did it, and so on.

I'm not saying Muse should forcibly publish one of those ones, it's just fun reading all of the personal schemes and theories about them.

Can't say for other Muse fans, but I would buy it if that was the artwork. As for why anyone would want to buy a Greatest Hits album, I figure maybe for the people who are just about to get initiated into the Muse fanzone, or for those who are not exactly a diehard fan and don't have the time to buy or listen to all the songs in the 7 albums.

One thing that I would change about Muse, if I had superpowers, is I would not have previously released all the songs that they've done. I'd save some for exclusive bonus tracks in their greatest hits album in case they ever wanted to publish one in the future. For instance, I wouldn't have previously released Fury, Hyper Chondriac Music, and maybe a demo like Instant Messenger, and save them as bonus tracks for a greatest hits album. That could attract diehard fans to buy their GH album.

Edited by hairolfitri

One thing that I would change about Muse, if I had superpowers, is I would not have previously released all the songs that they've done. I'd save some for exclusive bonus tracks in their greatest hits album in case they ever wanted to publish one in the future. For instance, I wouldn't have previously released Fury, Hyper Chondriac Music, and maybe a demo like Instant Messenger, and save them as bonus tracks for a greatest hits album. That could attract diehard fans to buy their GH album.

That by definition wouldn't be a "greatest hits" then would it? They'd be b-sides.

Soundgarden did the same thing with Telephantasm. It's mostly GH plus an unreleased song called Black Rain. Technically it's still a GH CD.

Greatest Hits are aimed for casuals and new audiences, not hardcore fans. To sell more units, lately artists are putting one or two unreleased tracks so the fans'll have to buy it too.

Also expect probably a Greatest Hits Tour after the release.

In Muse case it'll be something like

Sunburn

Muscle Museum

Plug In Baby

Feeling Good

Hysteria

TIRO

Starlight

Supermassive Black Hole

Knights

Uprising

Madness

Survival

Dead Inside

Mercy

New Song

As someone whos never bought or even downloaded a GH album, i wouldn't know especially. And no way id pay upwards of £15 for one new song. It seems more something, as Finn said, aimed at getting new fans who wouldn't be bothered trawling through old albums for tracks they like, and also for that strange breed that need to own everything a band releases.

Greatest Hits are aimed for casuals and new audiences, not hardcore fans. To sell more units, lately artists are putting one or two unreleased tracks so the fans'll have to buy it too.

Also expect probably a Greatest Hits Tour after the release.

In Muse case it'll be something like

Sunburn

Muscle Museum

Plug In Baby

Feeling Good

Hysteria

TIRO

Starlight

Supermassive Black Hole

Knights

Uprising

Madness

Survival

Dead Inside

Mercy

New Song

Survival wouldn't be on it. But Panic Station would.

It makes me chuckle when a band release a GH album but they still continue to release new material every other year. Foo Fighters is a good example. It's just silly.

I also agree with what someone said above - just make your own. Spotify and iTunes is what most of the world are using and they are pretty useful applications.

As someone whos never bought or even downloaded a GH album, i wouldn't know especially. And no way id pay upwards of £15 for one new song. It seems more something, as Finn said, aimed at getting new fans who wouldn't be bothered trawling through old albums for tracks they like, and also for that strange breed that need to own everything a band releases.

Sometimes it might work, if there's a band whose singles are great but their album tracks don't do much for you. But yeah on the whole I agree with you, they are pretty pointless in most cases

Sometimes it might work, if there's a band whose singles are great but their album tracks don't do much for you. But yeah on the whole I agree with you, they are pretty pointless in most cases

Yeah. I think Led Zeppelin is a good example for that. I could never get into a full album, despite how awesome they actually are.

Greatest Hits are pointless these days. If someone wants to listen to the greatest hits of an artist, they'll just play the most played stuff on Spotify, Itunes, Youtube or whatever.

Yeah, was gonna say this ^

You only really tend to see older, quite retro artists putting out Greatest Hits nowadays 'cause their fanbases generally consist of older people who probably don't use Spotify etc.

Well, there's always a period in a commercially great band's carrier in which a Greatest Hits, or a "Best Singles" collection, or an assembly of rarities is released.

Radiohead did it, Placebo did it, Deep Purple did it, Pink Floyd did it, and so on.

I'm not saying Muse should forcibly publish one of those ones, it's just fun reading all of the personal schemes and theories about them.

They didn't want to though, did they? It's normally a label thing.

They're aimed at the casual music fan shopping in Tesco's, so they make loadsa monaaay

The only way I would even consider acknowledging a greatest hits album would be if they released it with an unreleased track or a new single. It's a lame way for a band to make money but it works.

Other than that no thank you. Not yet anyway.

YEah I don't buy them if there's nothing new on it. Even if I'm a newcomer to an established artist, I would rather buy the original albums, and hear those songs in the context they were meant to be heard in, damnit

Edited by Gemsy

Haha, no nerve struck! I just have a vague memory of there being a lot of OUTRAGE!!! when Radiohead's came out so was kind of vaguely asking for enlightenment about that.

IIRC, I think they were leaving the label they were on so said label decided to release the Greatest Hits against the band's wishes so they could squeeze a bit more money out of them before they left.

Not really a massive deal but I guess it's the kind of thing that TY would get salty about.

IIRC, I think they were leaving the label they were on so said label decided to release the Greatest Hits against the band's wishes so they could squeeze a bit more money out of them before they left.

Not really a massive deal but I guess it's the kind of thing that TY would get salty about.

That's right, yeah, I remember now :D I don't think I'd like that either. I'd be like, my greatest hits are MY ALBUMS :phu:

I don't think Muse would mind as much though. I get the feeling most of their gigs are greatest hits sets, haha.

I think that would be a very calculating, greedy, and not fan-friendly attitude, and I rather not see them being like that.