Muse - Greatest Hits

Spectrum IV

It's a bit of a problem, unfortunately.

Pretty much every CD or DVD I bought from a 3rd party seller on Amazon has been a fake; even when it was an existing legit item I ordered, I always got a fake.

I buy "used" new cds from Amazon 3rd party vendors all the time. Are you saying they're not legit? :erm:

I was talking in general.

Actually I think you'd find it pretty common that the "fake" stuff has generally good ratings. The one exception being anything on DVD, and then most of the negative reviews are simply things like "it wasn't all regions and didn't play."

Even things like the iTunes Festival bootleg have tons of 5 stars, that actually say things like "wow! This is really good, I can't believe I have heard of it before, why wasn't there advertising for this release!" etc, etc.

Not limited to CDs/DVDs, either.

Boyfriend bought an aquarium pump that was a knock off copy sold as a major brand on there. Hundreds of positive reviews on the item, and not a one called it out as the fake it was. (and it was pretty damn obvious.)

Sort of a bigger issue when you're talking $700 items.

I buy "used" new cds from Amazon 3rd party vendors all the time. Are you saying they're not legit? :erm:

It's possible, but unlikely.

I have a relative small sample size to base my opinions on, because I stopped ordering things pretty quickly. :LOL:

I was ordering mostly OOP stuff, and singles (for B-sides) and they were pretty universally fake.

Some of them were so good that it would have been hard to tell without a side by side comparison, but with the amount I paid for them I still wasn't very happy.

Amazon doesn't have the same return policies for all 3rd party vendors, either.

Actually I think you'd find it pretty common that the "fake" stuff has generally good ratings. The one exception being anything on DVD, and then most of the negative reviews are simply things like "it wasn't all regions and didn't play."

Even things like the iTunes Festival bootleg have tons of 5 stars, that actually say things like "wow! This is really good, I can't believe I have heard of it before, why wasn't there advertising for this release!" etc, etc.

Not limited to CDs/DVDs, either.

Boyfriend bought an aquarium pump that was a knock off copy sold as a major brand on there. Hundreds of positive reviews on the item, and not a one called it out as the fake it was. (and it was pretty damn obvious.)

Sort of a bigger issue when you're talking $700 items.

I was more talking about the seller opinions and reviews, not the reviews of the actual item (which, I think you know, is often sold by many different sellers). A seller which sells real stuff but sends fakes will hardly have good reviews.

If they don't know the difference or care, it's their problem... Seems pretty obvious. Also the 97% you see there is the general score of the seller, not in relation to the item they're selling.

I was more talking about the seller opinions and reviews, not the reviews of the actual item (which, I think you know, is often sold by many different sellers). A seller which sells real stuff but sends fakes will hardly have good reviews.

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about sometimes, no offense.

In relation to this particular CD, both the reviews of the item, AND the reviews of the sellers are positive, with no mentions of fake or bootleg items (at least the two sellers that I bothered to check) even though both of those sellers are selling obvious fakes as legit releases. And lots of them.

Reviews are NOT typically a good indication, both because a lot of people just plain won't care if they got something cheap or something they couldn't get elsewhere, or they don't have the experience to tell the difference.

In the case of things like the aquarium pump, it's not something many people buy a ton of, and if you'd only got the one (and at a discounted price) it would have been very difficult to know the difference, so the sellers continue to get away with it for a long time, and move to a new ID once they get called out.

Well, here's personal anecdote #1: I order single X from band A, say, for $25.

Obviously it is OOP at this time, and the 3rd party sellers are linked off of the legit item's main page.

They say it is used, but in "like new" condition.

When I receive it, the case and insert look pretty good. Really one of the nicest fakes I've seen in a while (considering CD single inserts usually aren't that fancy) and matches the original in all ways. At least the pictures I've seen; I had never seen it in person before.

The CD itself, however, is noticeably different from what I know it should look like, and after really inspecting it then, it's obviously a fake.

Now, if I'm not expecting this could happen, and I'm not obsessive enough about band A that I know exactly what all the CDs for their singles look like (remember, the design on the CD, not the insert; and it was still pretty close,) then I would happily go on thinking this was legit.

It's not like these people with high reviews are sending out something that says "Magnavox CD-R" on the CD, with an insert printed off on office paper that's blank on the back.

They're good enough to fool a majority of people, clearly.

Amazon also only partially covers you on these purchases. I spent $10 on shipping, and was not to receive a refund on that. I was also required to send the item back, adding insurance onto the postage, making the amount I was losing on shipping just about equal to what the actual CD cost.

Even though I called the item out as a fake to Amazon, they did not take that into consideration, and the seller is actually still on there to this day.

i'm pretty sure this CD had a thread. :)

it was released in 2012 by the way,

not in the past few weeks / months and

i'm not sure if it's fake or not.

i saw iTunes Festival DVDs on

eBay last year.. can't seem to

understand how people could've

bought it, it's obviously just a rip.

a b-sides & rarities album

was also released, and the artworks

seemed pretty legit for both

CDs, though

it might be just a reeeaaally good

fake.

Jesus Christ.

It. Is. A. Fake. It is not officially listed ANYWHERE, it has never been officially announced, the band have made no recognition of its existence.

Bloody hell. This place tries my patience at times with its will to believe anything and everything.

• 4 weeks later...

The prominence of iTunes has made Greatest Hits albums even more irrelevant than ever.

When you can easily just go and buy the "hits" or the songs you want, what's the point in putting money into a physical release that's going to have a limited scope of appeal like that?

Greatest Hits albums and "deluxe" re-releases that have 1-2 new songs on them that are only available there are despicable cash grabs, anyways.

Greatest Hits albums and "deluxe" re-releases that have 1-2 new songs on them that are only available there are despicable cash grabs, anyways.

What actually bothers me the most with those is the fact that if the album is called "Greatest hits", and it's a collection of the most commercially succesful singles, why is some random cut-from-the-album discarded track worthy of a spot? It's not like they know if it's going to be a hit or not :LOL: Sucks for completists though to have to buy the album.

Exactly, though. :(

They know existing fans won't need to be a re-release of the album, or even a Greatest Hits album, but if they throw an extra track or two on there - no matter how shitty - that those same fans that bought the albums the day of release will have to pay full price for a couple of (probably shitty) unreleased songs.

:noey: