Muse Slammed by Radio 1

stevie g

They play what's selling and what manages to chart. As far as I know, Panic Station didn't even chart and that's probably why they didn't play it.

How can a song chart if it isn't played anywhere? People simply don't know that song (if they aren't particularly big fans of Muse)

Panic Station is also ignored by big radios in France, except those that support Muse well, such as Virgin Radio, or rock radios.

How can a song chart if it isn't played anywhere? People simply don't know that song (if they aren't particularly big fans of Muse)

Panic Station is also ignored by big radios in France, except those that support Muse well, such as Virgin Radio, or rock radios.

Which is totally Muse's and their managements fault. Or the record label. The promotion for the single was awful.

I understand everybody has different musical preferences, but to say that Muse aren't good enough jsut doesn't make sense. This is only my opinion but.... Muse are among some of the only bands to play music and a variety at that. Ranging from Orchestral Symphonies to really hard rock. And to say their music isn't "good enough" just doesn't make sense. I used to listen to BBC Radio 1, but only in the hope Muse or something similar will come on. Now I'm just going to listen to BBC Radio 2 instead. I feel a bit disappointed in BBC Radio 1. Well it's their loss :p

Edited by Muse@Toulouse

I understand everybody has different musical preferences, but to say that Muse aren't good enough jsut doesn't make sense. This is only my opinion but.... Muse are among some of the only bands to play music and a variety at that. Ranging from Orchestral Symphonies to really hard rock. And to say their music isn't "good enough" just doesn't make sense. I used to listen to BBC Radio 1, but only in the hope Muse or something similar will come on. Now I'm just going to listen to BBC Radio 2 instead. I feel a bit disappointed in BBC Radio 1. Well it's their loss :p

Don't listen to BBC Radio 2 before 7.00pm GMT as they also play a lot of rubbish. They have shows in the evenings dedicated to various genres of music which are great. BBC6 Music is also great but if you like Muse you're more likely to find them on independent radio stations like XFM, Absolute Radio and Nation Radio. I've even heard them on Planet Rock.:)

Muse fans.

But not sure how you missed this but he was only talking about The 2nd Law, which was made even more obvious by the fact that he pretty much pointed out how almost all their previous singles had been good enough.

EDIT: No, sorry, I just can't leave these statements unanswered.

1. Muse are among some of the only bands to play music? What?

2. Ranging from Orchestral Symphonies to really hard rock. Well...uhm...how does that relate to the quality? It simple means that they're schizophrenic.

3. They never said their music wasn't good enough either. That some people in this thread think it's a fair assumption is just laughable.

4. To only hope for Muse or something similar to come on is quite a narrow minded view to have on music. No wonder you seem to dislike other music so much. Not to mention that it's a crazy thing to do. Have you ever heard of an iPod? You don't HAVE to wait until the radio plays something to hear it.

Edited by Tjet

I really doubt it matters. Muse perform dreadfully in the singles for such a high profile act but they're hardly bankrupted because they sustain a huge live following and good album sales. I'm sure if Radio One refused to play a Muse song ever again it would have some real impact on their ticket and album sales eventually as Zane Lowe does generate tremendous hype about these things but really, if what Muse have done thus far hasn't sunk them I doubt this will a major concern to them!

I really doubt it matters. Muse perform dreadfully in the singles for such a high profile act but they're hardly bankrupted because they sustain a huge live following and good album sales. I'm sure if Radio One refused to play a Muse song ever again it would have some real impact on their ticket and album sales eventually as Zane Lowe does generate tremendous hype about these things but really, if what Muse have done thus far hasn't sunk them I doubt this will a major concern to them!

It's not going to sink them, but its a milestone of decline. Oasis were consistently successful until their bust up but the decline from their heyday was obvious. Both in terms of popularity and quality.

Of course popularity isn't everything, but it'd be nice to see Muse create an album which makes an impact, and is considered a classic.

What a depressing thought,
I know it's depressing because it says a lot about the quality of the album, yet for me it is the best song on there.

lol no.
What other song then? Follow Me is clearly worse as a single. Madness has an okay ending. Survival has hideous lyrics (is okay live though).

I can see why not everyone is fond of Panic Station but I stand by my opinion. I really really loved the Prince cover as well. Funky suits them.

What other song then? Follow Me is clearly worse as a single. Madness has an okay ending. Survival has hideous lyrics (is okay live though).

I can see why not everyone is fond of Panic Station but I stand by my opinion. I really really loved the Prince cover as well. Funky suits them.

I'm probably just biased by the fact that Panic Station really lets me down live. There was a time when it was my favourite song on the album but now I can barely stand to listen to it. Personally I think Animals and Isolated System are much better than PS.

lol yes.

You make an interesting point, one which I would like to explore further.

I'm probably just biased by the fact that Panic Station really lets me down live. There was a time when it was my favourite song on the album but now I can barely stand to listen to it. Personally I think Animals and Isolated System are much better than PS.
It doesn't come across that well live indeed I'm afraid, especially in bigger venues. I also think it's a bit too short. The first time I saw it live was at the E-Werk gig in Cologne though and I had never heard the song before and we had a hell of a fun time dancing.

Another time I was sick in bed and couldn't go to my friends' party and they sent me a video of everyone going crazy to Panic Station even though lots of them didn't even like Muse.

It has a raw quality of making people carefree for three minutes, it un-taints my outlook on life. /probably off-topic and tmi