Muse Slammed by Radio 1

stevie g

http://consequenceofsound.net/2013/09/bbc-radio-1-boss-says-green-day-and-muses-music-isnt-good-enough-to-be-played-on-air/

http://www.gigwise.com/news/84565/bbc-radio-1-music-boss-green-day-just-arent-good-enough

Extract on Muse;

When asked about 'Panic Station' by Muse not making the cut for the A-list, Harding replied:

"Muse are approaching a crossroads - their last single was the first one not playlisted by Radio 1 in a decade. The door remains open to them but we'll have to think carefully about their next album."

Radio 1 happily plays stuff like Something Really Bad (the new Dizzee Rascal one) so I really don't care about their opinion. Frankly, I don't believe for a moment that they're that stringent with most of the stuff they play; to quote DiS their shows play out like "an ADD patient with a spotify account".

:LOL:

I can't say I'm that keen on the new Green Day stuff or T2L compared to the older stuff, but those quotes are ridiculous

I don't get what's so ridiculous about any of it. They just don't think Muse's singles were good enough. What am I missing?

Of course they got blasted. Muse aren't like most shit modern artists that people get force fed over the radio these days. There clearly only going to play stuff that appeals to a more mainstream audience. I really dont understand what has went wrong with the music industry. since when did mass produced shit that is made at the click of a button become better to listen to that a couple of guitars and some drums. Fuck it, lets boycott the system and get Panic Station to Christmas number 1.

This is only an IMO by the way. Don't bite my head off for voicing my opinion. Sippe.

Edited by howardm93

I would imagine it seems ridiculous since they have artists that are generally considered to be worse than Muse on playlists yet they are trying to present it as though they have some kind of stringent quality control system.

That said there hasn't been a DJ on proper radio that has consistently played good/interesting music since Peel.

This is only an IMO by the way. Don't bite my head off for voicing my opinion. Sippe.

I am gonna bite your head off because you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Of course they got blasted. Muse aren't like most shit modern artists that people get force fed over the radio these days.
People aren't being force fed. They listen to what they want to listen to. If they don't like something, they'll switch channel. What is played is literally what the listeners want to hear.
There clearly only going to play stuff that appeals to a more mainstream audience.
No shit they're a RADIO STATION. They make a living from the people listening. Also, Since when weren't Muse suitable for a mainstream audience in the UK?
I really dont understand what has went wrong with the music industry.
Nothing went wrong, it's always been like this.
since when did mass produced shit that is made at the click of a button become better to listen to that a couple of guitars and some drums.
Please show me a popular song that was made at the click of a button. Just one, please.

and uhm...you ARE aware that Muse belong to the electronic pop music category too, right?

I am gonna bite your head off because you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

People aren't being force fed. They listen to what they want to listen to. If they don't like something, they'll switch channel. What is played is literally what the listeners want to hear.No shit they're a RADIO STATION. They make a living from the people listening. Also, Since when weren't Muse suitable for a mainstream audience in the UK? Nothing went wrong, it's always been like this. Please show me a popular song that was made at the click of a button. Just one, please.

and uhm...you ARE aware that Muse belong to the electronic pop music category too, right?

I switched the channel on the radio three times yesterday to have the same song on each station at the same time. This is what I mean by force fed it seems to be either 'listen to this song or just don't listen to the radio'

I didn't say that muse weren't suitable for a mainstream audience I only stated that radio stations especially radio 1 seemingly play more mainstream artists, on repeat, all day every day and its really damn annoying to have to listen to that on every station that you try to listen to.

It hasn't always been like this at all, modern music has took a serious dive. I mean yes there is some great music out there, but the bad far outweighs the good when it comes to air time. Again personal opinion.

Yes I am aware that muse fall into the electronic pop music category but at least they still incorporate heavy influences of actual instruments into it.

What exactly would you say are/aren't "actual instruments"?

Someone else's opinion on this would probably differ to mine but I would class a guitar as an actual instrument and a keyboard not an actual instrument. I am aware people who do make music on a laptop would say 'this is my instrument' but let's face it. It's not.

I switched the channel on the radio three times yesterday to have the same song on each station at the same time. This is what I mean by force fed it seems to be either 'listen to this song or just don't listen to the radio'
And if people don't listen to the radio, people will listen to something else. It's not like the radio is the only or even main way of listening to music these days. If people don't like it, they WON'T listen.

Or do you think people actually get forced to LIKE stuff too since the same stuff that's being played on the radio is also the most sold singles and most played on streaming sites?

I didn't say that muse weren't suitable for a mainstream audience I only stated that radio stations especially radio 1 seemingly play more mainstream artists, on repeat, all day every day and its really damn annoying to have to listen to that on every station that you try to listen to.

You don't have to listen to it. For christ's sake, CDs have been around for your entire life.

The reason to why Muse's singles aren't doing well is simply because they're average. We like them because it's Muse but a song like Follow Me bring absolutely nothing interesting to the pop scene.

It hasn't always been like this at all, modern music has took a serious dive. I mean yes there is some great music out there, but the bad far outweighs the good when it comes to air time. Again personal opinion.
Yes it has. And you have no idea what was being force fed down people's ears 40 years ago. It certainly wasn't Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin.

And "there is some great music out there" is such a ridiculous statement for someone who hasn't even heard a percent of all the music that's out there.

Yes I am aware that muse fall into the electronic pop music category but at least they still incorporate heavy influences of actual instruments into it.

Most of the time*

Someone else's opinion on this would probably differ to mine but I would class a guitar as an actual instrument and a keyboard not an actual instrument. I am aware people who do make music on a laptop would say 'this is my instrument' but let's face it. It's not.

Do you even know what a keyboard is?

Please, enlighten us on what makes an electric guitar more real than a keyboard.

And I'm still waiting for you to show me a one button pop song. It's not an opinion, it's a false statement about music when you clearly have absolutely no idea how electronic music is done.

might not be an instrument but the scope of musical possibility is far larger than it is with any selection of traditional instruments. I used to think the same thing as you until I heard Amon Tobin's stuff and got into IDM and trip-hop and electronic music in general.

Whenever you go to Radio One there's a lot of identikit electro-pop bollocks before you find a song you want, but there's usually at least something you may want to listen too somewhere in and amidst the crap.

Its primarily this crap about demographic that's the main pulling power, and it doesn't matter what genre or what instrument it draws on - if the style is 'in' and the Radio One people think they can grab a shit load of listeners by playing more of that stuff, then they will. So some years they'll play more indie stuff, then on others more electronic stuff, and at (frequently) other turns, pop crap.

Muse only really fit in with any of these ideas when its convenient and I suppose Panic Station isn't really fitting in with Radio One's view of what to play now. I'm ambivalent anyway I guess - I don't bother listening to music radio most of the time as its usually full of stuff I don't really want to listen too.