Muse Slammed by Radio 1

stevie g

I don't get what's so ridiculous about any of it. They just don't think Muse's singles were good enough. What am I missing?

To me it's because they're playing so many singles only to keep their listening figures high and keep people happy, the commercial tracks, not because of how good they are. Course, that's based on assumption, but getting up to R1 every morning makes it kinda obvious to me, for lots of tracks anyway

It's also likely that they got heavily misquoted to make a good story..

Sent from Twatatalk

This wank-bait thread title....

Someone else's opinion on this would probably differ to mine but I would class a guitar as an actual instrument and a keyboard not an actual instrument. I am aware people who do make music on a laptop would say 'this is my instrument' but let's face it. It's not.

Why isn't it a real instrument? That's just such a dumbass thing to say. You do realize that people 60 or so years ago would say the same for the electric guitar? Keyboards and laptops don't just make songs in 2 seconds. You need talent for that too. This opinion is just sf dumb and it's clear that you need to listen to some electronic music because it seems like you're basing your opinion on what little electronic music you hear on the radio.

I don't get what's so ridiculous about any of it. They just don't think Muse's singles were good enough. What am I missing?

What you're missing is that most of the 'music' played on Radio 1 is shit so saying anything by Muse isn't good enough is laughable.

This wank-bait thread title....

Why isn't it a real instrument? That's just such a dumbass thing to say. You do realize that people 60 or so years ago would say the same for the electric guitar? Keyboards and laptops don't just make songs in 2 seconds. You need talent for that too. This opinion is just sf dumb and it's clear that you need to listen to some electronic music because it seems like you're basing your opinion on what little electronic music you hear on the radio.

If you can make music with it, it's an instrument. People often say electronic instruments aren't real instruments; what they should say is that they're not acoustic instruments, or that they are not instruments normally found in a standard symphony orchestra. To say that a keyboard is not a real instrument shows appalling ignorance.

What you're missing is that most of the 'music' played on Radio 1 is shit so saying anything by Muse isn't good enough is laughable.

Radio 1 have never said that Muse's music isn't good enough in terms of quality. They said that their music doesn't fit in with the demographic they are catering to and what's currently popular music. All this R1 person is saying that if Muse take a less ~mainstream direction that they might not get played on R1 because they just wouldn't fit in. end of

yall need to learn how to read and stop jumping to conclusions

Radio 1 have never said that Muse's music isn't good enough in terms of quality. They said that their music doesn't fit in with the demographic they are catering to and what's currently popular music. All this R1 person is saying that if Muse take a less ~mainstream direction that they might not get played on R1 because they just wouldn't fit in. end of

yall need to learn how to read and stop jumping to conclusions

that isn't actually what they "said" though, that's just what you've inferred from it. Their newest releases have been by far the most accessible stuff they've ever put out so that line of thought doesn't really make sense to me. Panic Station in particular really doesn't sound a million miles away from a lot of the music R1 plays. I would imagine that people have generalized the green day comment which says that they are "not good enough" to muse as well, which isn't entirely unreasonable.

that isn't actually what they "said" though, that's just what you've inferred from it. Their newest releases have been by far the most accessible stuff they've ever put out so that line of thought doesn't really make sense to me. Panic Station in particular really doesn't sound a million miles away from a lot of the music R1 plays. I would imagine that people have generalized the green day comment which says that they are "not good enough" to muse as well, which isn't entirely unreasonable.

When asked about 'Panic Station' by Muse not making the cut for the A-list, Harding replied:

"Muse are approaching a crossroads - their last single was the first one not playlisted by Radio 1 in a decade. The door remains open to them but we'll have to think carefully about their next album."

what else can you honestly take away from this? fans are so quick to jump onto the thought that R1 hates/has something against Muse, when it's even stupid to think that such a huge radio station would dislike anyone. They play what's selling and what manages to chart. As far as I know, Panic Station didn't even chart and that's probably why they didn't play it.

"Who cares about what Radio 1 think?"

*whines about how bad Radio 1 are until they love Muse again*

Nah, if I want to listen to Muse I'll put an album on. I just can't stand Radio 1's DJs and they don't seem to have a clue about structuring a playlist. Give me 6music any day (hopefully we'll get the Adam & Joe show again soon). Radio 1 are just worried that Muse aren't moving with the mainstream rather than any quality control (back in March I heard Fern Cotton refer to Bastille's success as surprising, given that they sound "weird", and laughed out loud).

I would imagine it seems ridiculous since they have artists that are generally considered to be worse than Muse on playlists yet they are trying to present it as though they have some kind of stringent quality control system.

That said there hasn't been a DJ on proper radio that has consistently played good/interesting music since Peel.

What about Garvey, Jarvis et al?

To the radio in general, or just Radio 1? Because I like a lot of new stuff, but equally there's also a bunch of new stuff I can't stand.

To the radio in general. The only time I listen to the radio is in the car and that's because I usually really enjoy stuff like P!nk and fun. and there's rarely ever a track I don't enjoy somewhat.

But with a little more specific radio stations that pretend to play something more than just the most mainstream stuff you'll ever find, you usually get an almost equal amount of meh as you get good stuff. And there are much better ways of finding new music than the radio so I simply don't understand what anyone would get out of listening to the radio as opposed to their own music library.

To the radio in general. The only time I listen to the radio is in the car and that's because I usually really enjoy stuff like P!nk and fun. and there's rarely ever a track I don't enjoy somewhat.

But with a little more specific radio stations that pretend to play something more than just the most mainstream stuff you'll ever find, you usually get an almost equal amount of meh as you get good stuff. And there are much better ways of finding new music than the radio so I simply don't understand what anyone would get out of listening to the radio as opposed to their own music library.

I find 6music tend to be reliable, and I like several of the DJs on there. But I never listen to the radio in the car (no digital radio) and generally I prefer seeking stuff out myself.

What about Garvey, Jarvis et al?

I like the banter but I'm not huge on the music they play

what else can you honestly take away from this? fans are so quick to jump onto the thought that R1 hates/has something against Muse, when it's even stupid to think that such a huge radio station would dislike anyone. They play what's selling and what manages to chart. As far as I know, Panic Station didn't even chart and that's probably why they didn't play it.

I just posted what else someone could take from it. I would imagine that it's possible that regardless of the size of an entity they could still dislike a band, although I'm not saying that is necessarily what is happening. Do Don Broco, BMTH and whatever grime R1 is playing this week chart well? I don't know if they do or not.

this thread omfg :LOL:

the only issue i have with muse getting "slammed" is that the bossman came out in a statement and said that panic station wasn't good enough for Radio1. like, why you gotta go out of your way to make a statement? why not just not play it?

but woteva people have their own opinions.

the only issue i have with muse getting "slammed" is that the bossman came out in a statement and said that panic station wasn't good enough for Radio1. like, why you gotta go out of your way to make a statement? why not just not play it?

Because he was asked about the lack of them.

Can you really not infer negativity in there? Of course in the end the station will only play what charts. But in the previous comment they seemed fine saying that Green Day weren't played because they "were not good enough". You could take that as a quality judgment.

:LOL:

BBC didn't say that they wouldn't play Muse (their new material) anymore because they aren't good enough. they did say this about Green Day though.

Also they said they have to think about it if they are going to play Muse with their next album or not.

that's probably like 2 years away still.. they probably forget about this and if it fits or if they like it they'll play Muse again. and even if they don't. nah. it doesn't really matter anyway.

It happened to many artists, that certain songs(or yeah, even entire era's of their career without airplay) wouldn't get any airplay, due to whatever reason.