55th Annual Grammy Awards

muse samuse

• 2 weeks later...

2013 GRAMMY Awards nominees in the Best Rock Album and Album of the Year categories ranked by Metascore (favourable critic reviews in various publications measured by Metacritic.com)

92 Channel ORANGE / Frank Ocean (No prior GRAMMY wins) - This album has sold over 500k copies worldwide

84 El Camino / The Black Keys (2 prior GRAMMY wins) - This album has sold over 1 million copies worldwide

83 Blunderbuss / Jack White (9 prior GRAMMY wins) - This album has sold over 500k copies worldwide

78 Wrecking Ball / Bruce Springsteen (20 prior GRAMMY wins) - This album has sold over 1 million copies worldwide

70 The 2nd Law / Muse (1 prior GRAMMY win) - This album has sold over 1 million copies worldwide

65 Mylo Xyloto / Coldplay (7 prior GRAMMY wins) - This album has sold 6 million copies worldwide

63 Babel / Mumford & Sons (No prior GRAMMY wins) - This album has sold 3 million copies worldwide

60 Some Nights / Fun. (No prior GRAMMY wins) - This album has sold over 1 million copies worldwide

• 2 weeks later...

Some performers and presenters will likely be announced by the Recording Academy in early January. I believe Mumford & Sons, the Black Keys, the Lumineers, Bruce Springsteen, Frank Ocean and Gotye are strong contenders to both perform and win one or more GRAMMYs. Fun. performed at the nominations ceremony on December 5 so I am not certain they will be asked to perform again on February 10. Some music industry pundits and journalists will soon be predicting who they expect to win in some of the major categories and I will link some of their opinions and forecasts in this thread in January and early February. The album and rock song categories are very competitive but Mumford and the Black Keys are joint favourites in my opinion. Peers are praising Madness so it has a chance.

I think guys will play Madness

They have a break after February 6, so it's very likely

But I predict Coldplay to get the best album

I really like Coldplay, but I think that The 2nd Law has better songs so I'll keep hoping that my prediction is wrong.

MX is too poppy and has become a bit annoying way too soon

• 2 weeks later...

It may not mean anything, it looks like one of those breaks they usually do after 3 or 4 weeks of touring.

Either way, would be great if they were going. They have never attended an awards ceremony unless they're performers or they've won something so I reckon seeing them there would be good news :D

6 of the 22 tracks on the 2013 GRAMMY album are by UK artists, including two of the Best Rock Album nominees (Muse and Coldplay).

Well done, Brits!

"Madness" has been shortened to 3:34 however according to the track listing on iTunes.

Muse were in the second round of performers announced in 2011. More performers for the 2013 Grammys will be announced in the next couple of weeks. Carrie Underwood was the only one announced this week.

Noted Grammy pundit Paul Grein has revealed his predictions of winners in the Big Four categories today:

http://ca.music.yahoo.com/blogs/awards/grammy-predictions-big-four-181236963.html

Goldderby.com has also handicapped all of the categories. According to experts and editors polled on that website, Coldplay and Muse have as much chance to win a Grammy this year as does Manchester United in winning the Champions League in May 2013 at Wembley. The odds: 7-1 to 12-1

Can somone tell me the logic of grammy nomination ?

The resistance was released in 2009,got a nomination in 2011.The 2nd law was released in 2012,got a nomination in 2013.

sorry for my bad english,by the way.

Well the Grammys are for the year before. So the 2013 Grammy goes to an album that is released between late 2011 (too late to register for the 2012 grammy) and 2012.

The eligibility period (release dates) for GRAMMY nominated recordings usually runs from 1 October through 30 September each year. However, the period ended 31 August 2009 for the 52nd Awards because the ceremony was held earlier than usual at the end of January 2010 instead of February. The eligibility period for the 53rd ceremony was 1 September 2009 through 30 September 2010. TR was eligible and nominated for the 53rd ceremony which was held in February 2011 while T2L was nominated for the 55th ceremony taking place on 10 February 2013 because the vinyl release of T2L was released early on 29 September 2012 before the physical and digital album versions on 2 October.

Voting for the nominations takes place in October. Ballots are tabulated in November and nominations announced in late November/early December. Voting for the short listed finalists takes place in December and early January. Ballots are tabulated in mid to late January and winners announced at the live ceremony in February. Nobody knows in advance who has won at the GRAMMYs until the live ceremony just like the OSCARS and EMMYs.

There are about 12k voting members of the Recording Academy. They are musicians, songwriters, producers, engineers and other music industry professionals with recording credits. Fans, journalists, and music critics cannot vote.

My predictions for several 2013 GRAMMY categories:

Handicapping the Best Rock Album and Album of the Year at the 2013 GRAMMY Awards

El Camino - The Black Keys is the clear favourite for Best Rock Album because it is not competing against Babel which should help its chances. This well produced and performed album has sold over a million copies and charted three songs at Alternative. Coldplay and Muse have already won in a sense because their albums were nominated. The Recording Academy recognized the quality of their works and both artists should be proud.

Babel - Mumford & Sons is the narrow favourite for AOTY because of their break through in the USA during the past three years and their enormous record sales (more than four million for their first two albums)

Handicapping the Best Rock Song category at the 2013 GRAMMY Awards

Lonely Boy - The Black Keys is the narrow favourite for this blues rock track because it is also nominated in the General Field for Record of the Year even though it was released over a year ago - It spent 11 weeks at #1 at Alternative but did not cross over to other formats

I Will Wait - Mumford & Sons is in the running but it is more folk than rock and is too long and repetitive for my tastes - It has spent 15 weeks at #2 and one week at #1 at Alternative and has had some crossover success. I liked The Cave and Little Lion Man better. Both songs were nominated in the past but did not win.

Madness - Muse has a fair chance in this competitive category - It is one of the Devon trio's best compositions comparable in some respects to the classic "God Only Knows" by the Beach Boys - It has spent a very impressive 16 weeks (and counting) at #1 at Alternative and is now crossing over to other formats at US radio.

We Take Care of Our Own - Bruce Springsteen also could win because of its theme and it was used in President Barack Obama's re-election campaign but it did not get much radio airplay - If voters split their vote among the younger artists, anything is possible for this legendary veteran. For example, Neil Young won this category in 2011.

Freedom at 21 - Jack White is the least well known song in this category - It did get some radio airplay but I preferred Sixteen Saltines.

Handicapping the Best Rock Performance category at the 2013 GRAMMY Awards

BK, Mumford, and Springsteen all have good chances of winning - Coldplay and Alabama Shakes probably do not.

More 2013 GRAMMY performers have been announced by the artists themselves and in a just released press release:

Ed Sheeran w/ Elton John

Jack White

The Lumineers

Carrie Underwood

Miranda Lambert w/ Dierks Bentley

A few slots still remain open for R&B/Rap and pop artists and perhaps Springsteen and a few surprise guests and collaborations...

Archived