55th Annual Grammy Awards

muse samuse

Assuming the record label submitted nominations for the band since the lists have not been leaked, I believe the best chances Muse have to receive nominations in order of probability are in the following categories:

Rock Song

Rock Performance Group

Rock Album

Song of the Year

Record of the Year

Album of the Year

Special committees composed of respected music biz insiders decide on the five nominees in the latter three major categories along with Best New Artist. Usually at least one rock song or album will make the short list. They have shown a pop bias in the last couple of years however.

The rock veterans with reasonable chances of being nominated are Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan and Neil Young. Newer rock acts Mumford & Sons and The Black Keys are almost certain to be nominated along with Gotye and fun. It appears Coldplay, Linkin Park, Green Day and The Killers are among the other acts competing with Muse for nominations in the rock category. Note some of the above acts may have submitted in the pop and alternative categories instead of rock.

Comments and opinions are welcome.

I really don't think they stand a chance in getting nominated for album of the year, or song/record of year. Nothing they do is that popular here to warrant that kind of attention.

I realize Arcade Fire won AOTY recently but they got that largely through critical acclaim, which is also something Muse lacks.

They could, possibly, get a Rock Instrumental nod for either of the "2nd Law" ending tracks.

*edit - OK, or not. They got rid of that category last year. WTF? Wow..*

I'm sure they'll get a nomination for something this year, especially with the momentum from their previous Grammy win and TR publicity.

Jess, I think their Grammy nod (if any) would come in 2014.

TR came out around the same time (if not earlier) in 2009, and their night at the grammy's was in 2011.

Billboard had an article a couple months back that said the vinyl release was pushed forward specifically so that they could be eligible for nominations before the cut off, so yeah I'd be really surprised if they're not anywhere on the list next month.

Yep. This one: http://www.billboard.com/news/grammys-deadline-spurs-early-vinyl-releases-1007959472.story#/news/grammys-deadline-spurs-early-vinyl-releases-1007959472.story

Paul Grein, a well known Grammy Award forecaster, has made known his opinions on which acts have the best chances of receiving 2013 Grammy Award nominations in the four major categories and a few genre specific ones as well. One of his predictions for the category won by Muse in 2011 is quoted below:

"The Black Keys, Coldplay, Neil Young with Crazy Horse, Bruce Springsteen and Dave Matthews Band albums are the likely nominees for Best Rock Album."

I think three of the above are likely. It is curious that UK band Mumford & Sons are competing in the Americano album category while Neil Young's album was submitted in the Rock genre.

Coldplay apparently did not submit in the Rock Song category but Mumford did. Coldplay did submit in the Rock Performance Group/Duo category however. I still have no independent confirmation of what categories Muse are competing in since Mr. Grein did not mention Muse at all in any of his rather lengthy blogs about the upcoming Grammy Awards.

In a perfect world, Madness would be competing against Lonely Boy and I Will Wait in the Rock Song category along with two other songs by veteran artists like Springsteen and Young.

The most shocking revelation was the huge number of record label/artist submissions for the three major awards (ROTY, SOTY, and AOTY) averaging about 800 per category.

http://music.yahoo.com/blogs/awards/grammys-2013-predictions--album-of-the-year.html

• 2 weeks later...

Foo Fighters were nominated in all of the rock categories a year ago and won five trophies including one for Best Rock Album for "Wasting Light" and two for Best Rock Song and Best Rock Performance for "Walk." Two years ago, the winners in these respective categories were Muse, Neil Young and the Black Keys.

Coldplay got nominated a year ago with "Paradise" for Best Pop Performance and with "Every Teardrop is a Waterfall" for Best Rock Song and Best Rock Performance. This year the record label and band apparently submitted "Mylo Xyloto" for Best Rock Album and "Charlie Brown" and/or "Hurts Like Heaven" for Best Rock Performance and "Princess of China" for Best Pop Performance.

UK folk rock band Mumford & Sons has received nominations for "Little Lion Man" and "Cave" the past two years so I expect them to be a lock for their track "I Will Wait" this year along with their million selling album "Babel." The Black Keys will likely be their main competition. Muse could also be a contender in the rock categories for "Madness" and "The 2nd Law." The timing may help them this year since the song and album were released toward the end of this year's eligibility period and will be fresh in the voters' minds. Two years ago they won one of three awards for which they were nominated. The 2013 Grammy Award nominations will be revealed next week on December 5. They are decided by voting members of the Recording Academy who are musicians and songwriters and other music industry technical and creative professionals.

Below are the GRAMMY 2013 Predictions in the Rock/Alternative field according to Paul Grein as posted on his blog this week a few days before the nominations are announced. He believes Muse is in contention for one or more nominations or the band may just miss out. He has now placed Jack White ahead of Dave Matthew Band to receive one of the slots for Best Rock Album.

http://music.yahoo.com/blogs/awards/grammys-2013-predictions--rock-alternative-fields-205110315.html?page=all

"The Black Keys, which won the Grammy for Best Alternative Music Album with its 2010 album, Brothers, is competing in the Best Rock Album category this time around. Jack White, who, with the White Stripes, won Best Alternative Music Album three times, is also competing for Best Rock Album. If the Black Keys or White wins the award, they’ll become be the fourth act to take top album honors in both fields. U2, Green Day and Coldplay also achieved the feat. (Acts are often seen as alternative when they are building and then as part of the rock establishment once they reach the top.)

Two past winners for Best Rock Album, Coldplay and Bruce Springsteen, are likely to be back in the running with their current albums, Mylo Xyloto and Wrecking Ball, respectively. Two other past winners in the category, Green Day and Muse, are also fairly strong candidates, though they may fall short this time around."

Best Rock Album:

The Black Keys, El Camino

Coldplay, Mylo Xyloto

Neil Young & Crazy Horse, Americana

Bruce Springsteen, Wrecking Ball

Jack White, Blunderbuss

Alternates

Dave Matthews Band, Away From The World

Green Day, Uno!

Muse, The 2nd Law

Of Monsters And Men, My Head Is An Animal

Lou Reed & Metallica, Lulu

Patti Smith, Banga

Best Rock Performance:

Coldplay, “Charlie Brown”

The Black Keys, “Lonely Boy”

Imagine Dragons, “It’s Time”

Mumford & Sons, “I Will Wait”

Bruce Springsteen, “We Take Care Of Our Own”

Alternates

Muse, “Madness”

Green Day, “Oh Love”

Of Monsters And Men, “Little Talks”

Arcade Fire, “Abraham’s Daughter”

Linkin Park, “Burn It Down”

Dave Matthews Band, “Mercy”

Neon Trees, “Everybody Talks”

Jack White, “Freedom At 21”

Neil Young with Crazy Horse, “Oh Susanna”

Best Rock Song:

“Charlie Brown” (Coldplay), Guy Berryman, Jonny Buckland, Will Champion & Chris Martin, songwriters.

“It’s Time” (Imagine Dragons), Imagine Dragons

“I Will Wait” (Mumford & Sons), Ted Dwane, Ben Lovett, Winston Marshall & Marcus Mumford

“Lonely Boy” (The Black Keys), Dan Auerbach, Brian Burton & Patrick Carney

“We Take Care Of Our Own” (Bruce Springsteen), Bruce Springsteen

Alternates

“Freedom At 21” (Jack White), Jack White

“Madness” (Muse), Matthew Bellamy

Best Alternative Music Album:

Gotye, Making Mirrors

Tom Waits, Bad As Me

Fiona Apple, The Idler Wheel Is Wiser…

Bjork, Biophilia

David Byrne & St. Vincent, Love This Giant

Alternates

The XX, Coexist

Sigur Ros, Valtari

Best Americana Album:

Mumford & Sons, Babel

Bonnie Raitt, Slipstream

Bob Dylan, Tempest

The Lumineers, The Lumineers

The Avett Brothers, The Carpenter

Alternates

Kevin Costner & Modern West, Famous For Killing Each Other: Music From And Inspired By Hatfields & McCoys

Alabama Shakes, Boys & Girls

Ryan Adams, Ashes & Fire

Ryan Bingham, Tomorrowland

Bodeans, American Made

John Hiatt, Mystic Pinball

Amos Lee, As The Crow Flies

Little Feat, Rooster Rag

Lyle Lovett, Release Me

Shelby Lynne, Revelation Road

Dwight Yoakam, 3 Pears

Archived