If just like an album of songs which are well thought out, interesting to listen to with a decent number of tracks which could genuinely be good singles - not songs written cause they think they'll be popular but songs that just end up being awesome and good enough to appeal to a bigger audience.

This is a very generic definition of a "good" Muse album. "Good" here the way you put it means a record made without any "pop" appeal in mind. An album should inherently be well thought out and interesting to listen to, otherwise critics like Anthony Fantano would rate it a 1-3/10. Music should never be boring or half-baked, *coughs* Linkin Park *cough*. Anyways, saying a "decent number of tracks which could genuinely be good singles" accounts for a pop appeal, which contradicts your point about not written to be pop. A "good single" is a single that sells, and popular music sells. Citizen Erased is a good track, but would not be a "good single" because it's too complex for the typical pop music lover that listens to mainstream radio.

Ok, let's have a (slightly unwise) go at listing stuff that I think would be great on the new album

(and that helped to make other albums so good)

Grand, expansive, uplifting, melodic tracks (possibly longer in length)

Singles that contain strong guitar rock sensibilities (possibly fused with arty, pop-ish hooks)

More innovative guitar work and guitar sounds (use of pedals and other cool gear)

Something in Drop D (that doesn’t sound like a rehash of an old Drop D song)

Memorable opening riffs or solos

Big choruses

A song or two that builds and builds into a grand, heavy outro

Less stuff with cheesy vocal delivery

Less massive genre-hopping from song to song

Production that lends a level of cohesiveness to the album, and doesn’t ruin songs such that they sound way heavier live than in studio

B-sides that involve some of the above, and can have an argument put forward for them actually being on the album

I really don't get the desire for b-sides. A song being a B-side does not make it good.

people are expecting that they release more obscure stuff as b-sides (songs that wouldn't make it to the album), I guess.

but the whole concept is questionable since they don't really make physical copies of singles anymore (iirc).

Let's just consider this. Do we really want angst from men in their late thirties? The word implies rather adolescent themes to me. I'm all for anger, fear, etc. but I'd prefer it to be expressed in a more mature way.

noun: angst

a feeling of deep anxiety or dread, typically an unfocused one about the human condition or the state of the world in general.

People just immediately think of "teenage angst" which became an epidemic, which is "angst about trivial matters."

I'm pretty sure Muse have been doing the former well into their 30s already.

Also, includes a feeling of wanting/needing to overcome the situation, but that hope often being as formless as the worry is.

Which to me sums up Muse's music pretty well.

Archived