I'm just glad a lot of these songs will work well live. I think that was the major problem with TR era.

I'd agree with that. As much as I personally liked The Resistance, it was disappointing that so many of the songs flopped live and others just didn't get the chance at all. I can see a lot of these being pretty good live though.

However, the production really bugs me. It sounds good during the softer parts, but as soon as there's anything that's meant to be remotely aggressive it sounds really bland, it has no beef to it.

Lol, what have you been listening to?! Supremacy's middle name is beefy as and it's surname is fuck! :p Survival's outro riffages sound pretty beefy to me :erm: Maybe I'm a production n00b, but I certainly don't hear anything flat.

Well, the positivity was fun while it lasted. :LOL:

:LOL: Indeed!

I'm just glad a lot of these songs will work well live. .

They do indeed! :D

The album is a nice chill out to whet our appetites, before it gets real. :D I'm loving what I'm hearing of the lyrics so far, especially Animals.

Btw I think I heard the offending parental guidance word in ?Explorers. :chuckle:

I'm starting to think they should go to a producer now. I never thought a producer would be able to keep the OTT in like people kept saying which is why I never cared much for a producer. But hearing this I'm getting nothing out of The 2nd Law as a sum of its parts. Someone to maybe guide some cohesiveness would be nice.

Lol, what have you been listening to?! Supremacy's middle name is beefy as and it's surname is fuck! :p Survival's outro riffages sound pretty beefy to me :erm: Maybe I'm a production n00b, but I certainly don't hear anything flat.

Compare Animals live to the album version. Liquid State is also really weak for what they had going for it.

I still haven't listened to the new tracks. It's so weird, I was up until 2 am last night, checking out if it leaks...I mean, if it is made available perfectly legally of course, then I was kicking myself at work for not being to listen to the songs when I saw they had been made available, was SO eager to get home, and now I'm just like "well, might as well listen to Zane to build up some slight anticipation for myself".

Compare Animals live to the album version. Liquid State is also really weak for what they had going for it.

This.

I was so excited for the chucky 5/8 riff at the end of Animals after hearing the Cologne performance.

The riff on the album doesn't hit as well as it does live. But I have yet to hear a lossless recording, to be fair.

I thought that part was going to blow up. Leaving the end of that song a little underwhelming on disc.

Lacking in energy and lazy is the complete opposite of this album.

And really, Supremacy, Unsustainable, Survival, Liquid State and Big Freeze isn't enough rock?

Ok maybe rock was the wrong word to use, I just guess I wanted something a little bit heavier. Knew it wasn't going to happen but was still disappointed. I'm not saying I don't like the album either because I do. I just feel a little underwhelmed.

Why would what they've done dictate what they do?

Because whether you realize it or not, they've built a business around the Muse moniker. There's certain things that people have come to expect from them and when they fail to deliver on some things that's not fair to the people who have invested all their time and money in them.

If they want to experiment. I say fine. If they want to experiment and release it I say they should either break up or go on hiatus and form a new band as a side project.

Watch out! Totally biased and personal review (of some songs) of a Muse fan since 2005.

For me it's their weakest album yet.

Most of the songs are rehashed from the sounds and progressions of their older hits/jams (I'm not even going to talk about the other heavily influenced riffs). Supremacy had the potential, but I feel like it was ruined by the verse.

I feel like Matt was playing around with Map Of The Problematique when he tried different chords and came up with Big Freeze, it doesn't work.

Save Me was another heavily discussed song and everyone was looking forward to it. Chris definitely has the voice to be a lead singer, but not with his falsetto, the song is predictable and something feels odd about it. That's why I prefer Liquid State, very heavy, Chris's voice fits well.

Isolated System is brilliant, but my favourite song from 2nd Law is Animals. That guitar is just what it all was about.

Leave my favourite songs out of the album's setlist and you get a pretty good pop album, unfortunately, it's just a mediocre rock album.

Archived