Am I the only one that thinks Follow Me is total shite? Worst song on the album, sounds like a generic house track with MB providing guest vocals....

One week later and Follow Me is one of my favourite tracks on the album. Although it was probably the live performances that sold it....

How many house tracks have you heard? :chuckle:

Quite a lot. I used to go clubbing a lot when I was around your age (about a decade ago!), even though I hated the music (yep, I don't get it either).

Anyway, I agree with your point. It definitely has some electronica about it, but I'm struggling to see now what I didn't like about it on first listen.....

I personally think TR is a better album (even though Panic Station is awesome), there's not one song on T2L that can match up to MK Ultra in my opinion. Plus the 3 Exo tracks vs the 2 T2L tracks...Exo is better by miles.

Definitely NOT the most popular opinion on this board :LOL:

And all the fans of bliss. You will be very happy to know, they played Bliss in paris today !!!

Here is the set list

Supremacy

Interlude

Hysteria

Panic Station

Resistance

Supermassive Black Hole

Animals

Time Is Running Out

Save Me

Madness

Uprising

Follow Me * shudder *

Bliss

Knights Of Cydonia

Stockholm Syndrome

Starlight

Survival

hey everyone, I've just registered and thought I'd post my review of the 2nd Law here. This is my first review of any Muse album yet, so don't go hard on me.

I haven't had time to look over all the 100+ pages of this thread, but I'm pretty sure many are dissatisfied with the band's experimentation on this one. I for one love it and give the album an 8. And here's why.

Many here will nag me for this, but I have to agree with NME that Muse "jumped the shark" with Survival (kinda cheesy for an Olympic anthem). I thought the band needed a change in sound since in my view Bellamy went over the edge with bombastic symphonic epics on the Resistance, that's why I never embraced that album much. If Matt wants to write a symphony, please do it solo.

So when I heard previews of the tracks for the upcoming album, they sounded promising enough for me to hope it would turn out better than the Resistance. And thankfully my expectations paid off, though not fully.

For one the 2nd Law doesn't sound too overblown for me. I longed for a bit of subtlety and found it in at least half the album. Also I was surprised how Bellamy's lyrics have improved.

And if you read some of the reviews, ridiculously many are alienated by the 2nd Law's departure from the rockier sound of previous albums. THAT'S THE WHOLE DAMN POINT.

You can't go on with the same formula forever, you have to change and try out new things. And almost ALWAYS any artist's experimentation alienates loyal fans. Since we're talking about music, think of David Bowie (his unexpected dropping of Ziggy Stardust in favor of "plastic soul" and the hair-raising Berlin Trilogy) or Radiohead (how they shocked loyal OK Computer fans with their unusual epic Kid A (which I personally adore and consider better than OK Computer)). And in the case of the 2nd Law I think Matt, Dom and Chris have overall succeeded in their attempt of a new sound.

Here are my highlights:

Supremacy - a surprisingly good opener for yet another epic, even the James Bond touch amused me

Madness - probably my favorite of the whole album. Subtlety at last, beautiful electronic touches. Being the biggest Queen fan myself I don't know why it resembles Queen to the majority, I only hear the resemblance near the end. There's more Depeche Mode here for my ear

Panic Station - myself a funk fan is probably the reason why I embrace this one. Something unheard of from Muse. Again the Queen influence came last to me here

Follow Me - another great electronic take, no huge orchestral arrangements, lyrics that please the ear

Animals - this is possibly the closest a comeback to their Origin of Symmetry era, as if a left-over from those sessions, but lighter

Big Freeze - now this is where I definitely hear Queen, and even more U2. The riff near the end is as if played by Brian May himself. In terms of tone it roots back to the Black Holes and Revelations sessions

The 2nd Law - I love the title track as a whole, but Isolated System especially is my favorite of the whole album (on par with Madness) AND my favorite Muse closer, a lot more than Megalomania, Ruled by Secrecy or Knights of Cydonia (don't ask me about Exogenesis). Still have to get back a bit to Unsustainable though

Satisfactory:

Save Me - at first I didn't realize it was Chris singing, I did notice awkwardness in the vocals. The song itself is not bad, only it sounds too much like Radiohead (Subterranean Homesick Alien is closest). I don't know if that was intentional

Liquid State - again Chris singing, again not bad, and again a slight bit of Radiohead (or is it just me?). But I still have to get back to these two to really appreciate them.

Prelude - let's just dismiss this one as a short orchestral intermission, nothing more. A filler

Least favorite:

Survival - I hope you understand me here. It just resembles Eurasia too much for me (which I honestly hated). Cheesy lyrics, and, let's be frank here, Queen were better at stadium anthems and rock opera

Explorers - some like it for it being a pretty little ballad, but for me it sounds as if a rewrite of Invincible, which I had average feelings for. Though it's tolerable, just not my favorite

Verdict:

So all in all, MUSE have proved themselves (at least to me) that they haven't completely "jumped the shark", that they CAN be diverse. Also Chris' lead vocal introduction is a pleasant surprise (quit complaining that he sounds off, it's his first time for Christ sake) and the first-time splitting of songwriting credits is probably why this album works so well.

Though a masterpiece-type album, which I could enjoy every bit of without skipping, is a rarity for me (I am very picky about my music), this is one of those albums I'd be gladly listening to for a long time. I definitely enjoy the 2nd Law more than the Resistance, or maybe even Black Holes and Revelations. If only not for those 2-3 songs I sometimes feel the urge to skip.

Nice job, Matt, Dom and Chris. Keep up the good work!

8/10

PS: experimenting is never bad.

I personally think TR is a better album (even though Panic Station is awesome), there's not one song on T2L that can match up to MK Ultra in my opinion. Plus the 3 Exo tracks vs the 2 T2L tracks...Exo is better by miles.

I completely agree with this. Don't understand opinions to the contrary at all to be honest as TR just seems so much more original and solid as an album. but then we're living in a world where one billion people believe in Islam and another billion in Catholicism.

OK, so me won't be popular either, but I'm not sure if Law is better than Resistance.

But it's also because I really loved Resistance.

Still, thinking that the first four albums were better.

And I kinda agree with the MK Ultra thing. I'm not sure if there's something better on The 2nd Law. OK, Supremacy may be huge, but it also may be boring sometimes. And there's no heavy, fast-paced song here, like Stockholm, like Plug In, like MK. Sadly.

I got bored of The 2nd Law very fast (but have to admit I listened to it "24/7" in the beginning), so that's where my doubts come from... But listening to it now, after few days of break, it's superb again! Still, nothing made me headbang so hard during iTunes festival stream like New Born... (or Knights, or TIRO...)

it's really not surprising that many don't embrace the 2nd Law. One reviewer I think pointed out perfectly that this album is SUBJECTIVE. You either love it or hate it. Same with Radiohead's Kid A, Depeche Mode's Exciter, Led Zeppelin's LZ3 at the time of its release. It's always like this when somebody tries out something different and expectations are high as hell. And the sad part is many fail to accept something new. but it's human

Can we talk about instrumentals here?

If yes, oh my god if the 2nd law instrumentals are good.

If no, nevermind.

of course we can, and if you mean instrumentals like Isolated System, I TOTALLY agree with you. Other ones are great too, but Isolated System is one of the best pieces Matt & Co. has ever penned so far

of course we can, and if you mean instrumentals like Isolated System, I TOTALLY agree with you. Other ones are great too, but Isolated System is one of the best pieces Matt & Co. has ever penned so far

No I meant the full album instrumental in that case :LOL:

I completely agree with this. Don't understand opinions to the contrary at all to be honest as TR just seems so much more original and solid as an album. but then we're living in a world where one billion people believe in Islam and another billion in Catholicism.

As a full album, I think it's weaker. But the individual tracks I think are on a much higher quality than The Resistance.

I guess I should go buy a Qur'an now.

ahem

Supremacy - better than anything on TR

Panic Station - better than anything on TR

Animals - Only beaten by MK Ultra

Isolated System - Different to anything done by Muse before and equal to the Exogenesis tracks

I'd make a comment about Big Freeze, Follow Me and Explorers being better than everything but MK Ultra and Exogenesis but I shall not. too late

:( I like the instrumentals so much better

It's because they make it easier for you to understand why the songs are so good :yesey:

ahem

Supremacy - better than anything on TR

Panic Station - better than anything on TR

Animals - Only beaten by MK Ultra

Isolated System - Different to anything done by Muse before and equal to the Exogenesis tracks

I'd make a comment about Big Freeze, Follow Me and Explorers being better than everything but MK Ultra and Exogenesis but I shall not. too late

Agreed until IS. Follow Me is on the same level with MK and worse than Exo, but I think Big Freeze and Explorers are way worse than Uprising, UD, US, MK

Instrumentals of: Madness, Panic Station, Survival, Follow Me, Animals, (to an extent) Explorers and Unsustainable are just incredible.

Yep, your post was opinion too, si?

Of course, hence the whole religion comment.

I kind of guessed the reason I didn't like the album before was mainly due to the vocals. I don't like the gimmicks, the dramatics, the terrible lyrics. Instrumentally this album is the best things they've done, it's beautiful start to finish.

Then Matt singing "brainwashing out children to be mean" and "buy yourself an ocean" and "fuulloooOOOOOWWWWWWHH MEEE" ruined it all.

Archived