Muse songs that are genuinely musically bad

Niall

Can you back that up? I've never seen why that song is bad musically.

Re-read OP, get the point now.

I just don't find it very exciting... which isn't really the point of the thread :stunned:

The worst musically would be Execution Commentary because there are no real lyrics, bad production, and only two riffs and some crap guitar improv.

I'm thinking Muse should of just put that as the outro to Yes Please when they recorded the studio version.

Re-read OP, get the point now.

I just don't find it very exciting... which isn't really the point of the thread :stunned:

The worst musically would be Execution Commentary because there are no real lyrics, bad production, and only two riffs and some crap guitar improv.

I'm thinking Muse should of just put that as the outro to Yes Please when they recorded the studio version.

I did read it, and it was asking for songs that are musically bad, not unexciting.

No real lyrics? Did you even listen to the song? And the guitar improv is actually quite clever. Also, the production shouldn't be counted.

It's just really difficult to say when a song is objectively bad, because a song can't be objectively bad because it's based on our perceptions on the song. There is, however, compositionally lazy, where it seems people don't bother with making their music interesting. I find this to be the case with Uprising.

Uprising has a nice sound to it, but the bass just loops again and again all throughout the song with sparse variation. The guitar that comes in halfway does not add anything rhythmically nor melodically that already isn't there but just seems thrown in there to help 'fill out' the texture. The drums are uninspiring and rather generic. The synth arpeggios/melody have become rather typical and safe-ground for Muse. imo Uprising is a lazy effort.

...but some people seem to love it so it must have some redeeming features other than 'just being good live'.

Another song someone else mentioned is Con-Science. I think this song is great in the way it works itself into a climax, the sparse piano really has an effect of creeping me out and the marching drums point towards pending doom. With Con-Science it seems like the instruments/sections are only there/come in when they serve a purpose and climaxes when everything is layered which is what I think makes it a great song compositionally... whereas Uprising feels like it's lazily filling the criteria of a generic Muse song.

goddamnit Hannah

:LOL:

The only Muse song I can say is bad after removing personal opinion is Con-Science...

I think it's actually really hard to classify a 'bad song' though. It's subjective and situational, you have to look deeper than the song and ask why it exists.

If the song is compositionally bad and also has no purpose then you could call that a 'bad song' I guess...

:supersad: Con-science is amazing.

For me, it would probably be Overdue or Exo-Politics.

The only Muse song I can say is bad after removing personal opinion is Con-Science...

:facepalm:

What's bad about it after you 'remove personal opinion'?

If the song is compositionally bad and also has no purpose then you could call that a 'bad song' I guess...

How can it be compositionally bad?

And does a song need purpose? Which purpose?

Can a song exist without a purpose?

So technically there are no bad songs and every piece of music in the world is great? :awesome:

...Yeah, I wish.

I think it all comes down to personal opinion in the end. Many people just have common tastes in what kind of music is good and what kind of music is not, especially if those people like the same band or artist in the first place.

And? You can still grade composition. Students at Conservatorium are subjected to that all the time.

So I've never been in conservatory but I did take music classes in high school, and our compositions were graded as "good" or "bad" in relation to how closely they follow the conventions of a certain style.

I guess in that way one could say a Muse song is musically good or bad in relation to how well they achieve the intention in the making of the song was, but that's just a whole 'nother can of worms.

It's just really difficult to say when a song is objectively bad, because a song can't be objectively bad because it's based on our perceptions on the song. There is, however, compositionally lazy, where it seems people don't bother with making their music interesting. I find this to be the case with Uprising.

Uprising has a nice sound to it, but the bass just loops again and again all throughout the song with sparse variation. The guitar that comes in halfway does not add anything rhythmically nor melodically that already isn't there but just seems thrown in there to help 'fill out' the texture. The drums are uninspiring and rather generic. The synth arpeggios/melody have become rather typical and safe-ground for Muse. imo Uprising is a lazy effort.

...but some people seem to love it so it must have some redeeming features other than 'just being good live'.

Another song someone else mentioned is Con-Science. I think this song is great in the way it works itself into a climax, the sparse piano really has an effect of creeping me out and the marching drums point towards pending doom. With Con-Science it seems like the instruments/sections are only there/come in when they serve a purpose and climaxes when everything is layered which is what I think makes it a great song compositionally... whereas Uprising feels like it's lazily filling the criteria of a generic Muse song.

But Con-Science is bad because the piano just loops again and again all throughout the song with sparse variation.

Archived