Muse songs that are genuinely musically bad

Niall

The only Muse song I can say is bad after removing personal opinion is Con-Science...

I think it's actually really hard to classify a 'bad song' though. It's subjective and situational, you have to look deeper than the song and ask why it exists.

If the song is compositionally bad and also has no purpose then you could call that a 'bad song' I guess...

I think a few you missed the point of this thread :LOL: I'm glad some people got it.

Calling a song "generic" or "boring" doesn't really count because that's just how you personally feel about it. There's plenty of those. I'm looking for a song where you can show that the lyrics don't make any sense or are literally (as in literature) poor, or a song that is musically poorly constructed. Maybe one that breaks musical convention but not intentionally, just because it's poorly composed or something. Or maybe a song where you think Matt's performance was just off on the record.

Because while there's a fair few Muse songs I just don't like, I don't have the ability to say they're bad because I don't know music stuff. Thought this would make for an interesting discussion :)

Because while there's a fair few Muse songs I just don't like, I don't have the ability to say they're bad because I don't know music stuff. Thought this would make for an interesting discussion :)

Nobody does, which is why this thread is pointless.

No :p we protect your right to hate it here. Butt for the purposes of this thread, say why it's a bad song :)

Mainly because it's a complete mess...I mean, I listen to stuff like The Mars Volta occasionally, and you know, on first listen, that could sound like a bigger mess than anything else, but the more you listen, the more you realise how precisely it's been arranged and how carefully it's all been worked in together...Execution Commentary always just starts like a bit of a mess to me though...The random wailing doesn't really help, and I'm normally used to that kind of thing, haha! It just doesn't work for me though...Not really sure what the structure of the song is meant to be apart from riff and random noise...

Yeah, that you have a mediocre taste in music.

No need for that really, was there?

Forced in and yes please. I can't listen to them they are painful :LOL:

Forced In? Musically it's one of their most interesting songs in my opinion! It doesn't follow a typical song structure, doesn't make use of the instrumentation that they used in the way it would typically be used etc. Yes please is overly repetitive and sounds like a nu-metal song though. The early version of it sounded better, not including the vocals.

The only Muse song I can say is bad after removing personal opinion is Con-Science...

I like Con-Science, the way in which they managed to create a song out of what is effectively two or three harmonies is pretty cool, and I like the build-up. I guess it's pretty dull in terms of the amount of stuff going on, for most of it, but that's what gives it it's atmosphere.

Does anyone actually think any of their arguments in this thread are objective?

That's the problem; you can state facts about a piece of music, but whether or not you like those facts or not renders it subjective.

I don't know. I don't know enough about music to comment really. I'm just interested to read what others who are more knowledgeable say.

But Niall, music isn't like making cars. You can say that a car is bad because it takes a dangerously long distance to brake, if it takes 10 minutes to reach 10 miles per hour or if you have to turn the steering wheel halfway round before anything happens.

Music isn't like that.

Music is an art form, and objectively speaking, there's no such thing as good or bad art. The only value of art, is the value we put into it (subjectively!).

Archived