I consider buying a new amp to play in apartment, so at relatively low volume. I need your help !

I did some researches and the Blackstar HT-1R, HT-5R and Vox AC4 seem to match what I'm looking for.

The two Blackstars have MP3 input and headphones output, which is nice. The HT-5 have an EQ, the HT-1 don't (only the ISF...), but 5W might be to loud...

Same problem with the AC4, might be too loud, but this a Vox and I like Vox amps :D

Anyone here own or at least tested one of these amps ? Or have any other idea ?

[YT]
[/YT]

I think this is my favourite performance of Madness; that solo is just so fuzzy and tasty. Any idea what fuzz factory settings would be best for it?

Not sure, but definitely keep the stab control all the way up. I imagine that's the DI'd fuzz factory sound though

Also

1475929_248045612028217_265846384_n.jpg

My black strat->LS-2->DS-2 with a clean blend->Hartke HA3500

Did you have the tone on the guitar rolled back or anything? (though I'm guessing the guitar has the least to do with the sound)

I've always heard that he used the middle position on that ovation guitar, with the tone on the bridge pickup rolled off a bit. At least in kyuss.

I consider buying a new amp to play in apartment, so at relatively low volume. I need your help !

I did some researches and the Blackstar HT-1R, HT-5R and Vox AC4 seem to match what I'm looking for.

The two Blackstars have MP3 input and headphones output, which is nice. The HT-5 have an EQ, the HT-1 don't (only the ISF...), but 5W might be to loud...

Same problem with the AC4, might be too loud, but this a Vox and I like Vox amps :D

Anyone here own or at least tested one of these amps ? Or have any other idea ?

Anybody wants to help me ? =/

Nobody wants to help me ? =/

No :phu:

I'd go with the vox. It might be a little less versatile, but you can still use pedals. The only advantage with the others are the headphone and mp3 features I guess

The AC4 can switch down to 1/4 watts as well, so it shouldn't be too loud. Not sure if the blackstars can do anything similar

No :phu:

I'd go with the vox. It might be a little less versatile, but you can still use pedals. The only advantage with the others are the headphone and mp3 features I guess

The AC4 can switch down to 1/4 watts as well, so it shouldn't be too loud. Not sure if the blackstars can do anything similar

:(

I'd go with the Vox too, well, because it's a Vox.

Not sure that you can switch down to 1/4 with the AC4C1. I think it's only on the HW version...

Did you have the tone on the guitar rolled back or anything? (though I'm guessing the guitar has the least to do with the sound)

I've always heard that he used the middle position on that ovation guitar, with the tone on the bridge pickup rolled off a bit. At least in kyuss.

No actually, the tone was on full on the neck. My guitar was some crazy powerful pickups that have little to no highs so I imagine that was a good bit to do with the sound:LOL:

Ohh right, I forgot there were two. There's a $50 difference. the AC4TV has the output power switch, but not a full EQ. The AC4C1 has a full EQ, but no output power switch.

I don't know, I think this sounds pretty good... I'd go with this one to be honest, especially if you're concerned about being too loud.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyZBxnDaTNc

Edit: Dave'd. Is that the one with the humbucker pickups?

Ohh right, I forgot there were two. There's a $50 difference. the AC4TV has the output power switch, but not a full EQ. The AC4C1 has a full EQ, but no output power switch.

I don't know, I think this sounds pretty good... I'd go with this one to be honest, especially if you're concerned about being too loud.

Yep, and there is an HW version, but more expensive of course.

From what I read, the attenuator on the AC4TV isn't really good. It seems to become a bit muddy and dark on 1/4 W. People tend to say that the AC4C1 is more playable at low volume with his master volume, than the AC4TV with his attenuator...

Really? As in verse you mean when the riff kicks in? Or actual verse? Which is same as beginning? I can get the intro kinda tone easy

Oh I didn't realize he switches back to the first sound

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqxDmekNPQA

32 seconds in. I don't really have a problem getting that sound, but the sound at the beginning... I can't get any of them to sound that twangy/thin/etc. They just sound like P90s.

The intro tone almost sounds like one of my fuzz pedals when it's having RF interference...which usually drives me mad.

edit:

Mine sound more like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFq0-eGOOlA

Yep, and there is an HW version, but more expensive of course.

From what I read, the attenuator on the AC4TV isn't really good. It seems to become a bit muddy and dark on 1/4 W. People tend to say that the AC4C1 is more playable at low volume with his master volume, than the AC4TV with his attenuator...

So there are three different ones? I could only find the AC4TV and AC4C1

And yeah. It doesn't sound too bad in that video - certainly no worse than any other attenuator.

Oh and have you looked at the Marshall 1 watt amps? I don't know if those are still around, but they seemed cool... a bit overpriced though

Archived