Oh and apparently that guy in the other video has a super bass. The amp adam jones has is a super lead (for the most part) from what I've heard

Adam Jones uses a modded Super Bass. No idea what those mods actually are though. But yeah, its the midrange in his sound, the other amps do everything else.

It appears that its a superbass with some caps changed to take it back to the superlead specs. Although going for the superlead would seem to be easier I imagine theres some bigger differences between the two even with the cap changes.

This was the 60's, so that was literally it. :LOL:

From what I remember, the Super Bass never changed at all until Marshall came out with the JCM800 version, while the JMP Super Lead changed a lot throughout the 70's. So basically any Super Bass will give you that 60's JMP sound without the price tag whereas the Super Lead slowly morphed into the JCM800.

Depending on how you want to use it, it is not necessarily worth modifying it to Super Lead spec. Personally not been as big a fan of them as the Super Bass. The Amplitube 3 JTM45 emulation (JH Gold) with the emulation of the channels bridged is a brilliant example of how these amps sound.

Shame it is a phone camera, but a nice example of these things:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnHlLE7oDRQ

I remember hearing Adam uses a Superbass and has a bass cab for it live and has two Diezel VH40 (I think) to back it up and use more extreme sounds.

Yep, but I never heard anything about the bass cab

Adam Jones uses a modded Super Bass. No idea what those mods actually are though. But yeah, its the midrange in his sound, the other amps do everything else.

Here's what I've read. The source is someone who I'd consider trustworthy

Its a 1959 late 70s with jj el34s and chinese preamp tubes. It is super lead spec w/ 100k feedback on the 4 ohm tap it has a .68 cap for the presence and a .68 for v2 also the caps out of v1 are both .022s. The amp is biased to 25ma and he jumps the channels with a cable.

Translation: It's a standard late 70's SL circuit with one component value changed to bass spec, and one added part which gives a slight boost in the upper mids.

It appears that its a superbass with some caps changed to take it back to the superlead specs. Although going for the superlead would seem to be easier I imagine theres some bigger differences between the two even with the cap changes.

Depends on the year really. the difference between the first super leads and the super basses was literally one added cap on the first volume pot for the super leads. The later super leads changed, but the super basses stayed pretty much the same up until around when the JCM 800 came out

This was the 60's, so that was literally it. :LOL:

From what I remember, the Super Bass never changed at all until Marshall came out with the JCM800 version, while the JMP Super Lead changed a lot throughout the 70's. So basically any Super Bass will give you that 60's JMP sound without the price tag whereas the Super Lead slowly morphed into the JCM800.

Depending on how you want to use it, it is not necessarily worth modifying it to Super Lead spec. Personally not been as big a fan of them as the Super Bass. The Amplitube 3 JTM45 emulation (JH Gold) with the emulation of the channels bridged is a brilliant example of how these amps sound.

Shame it is a phone camera, but a nice example of these things:

yeah pretty much. some people say the bass spec amps don't have much overdrive available, but I swear the ones I've tried have had just as much as the average super lead, and have been a little more aggressive sounding

And the bass amps seem to handle pedals better as well.

yeah pretty much. some people say the bass spec amps don't have much overdrive available, but I swear the ones I've tried have had just as much as the average super lead, and have been a little more aggressive sounding

And the bass amps seem to handle pedals better as well.

Got similarities to a Fender Twin in that it takes them longer to break up, but when they do... Also I don't think everyone is aware of bridging the channels, the treble channel is a bit lacking in overdrive.

Got similarities to a Fender Twin in that it takes them longer to break up, but when they do... Also I don't think everyone is aware of bridging the channels, the treble channel is a bit lacking in overdrive.

Really? I always found it the other way around. (although there's only one thing that makes the two channels in the super bass different from each other, so they should be pretty close as far as overdrive goes)

When using pedals, I bridge the channels, but mainly use the normal channel. As far as distorted sounds go, I usually use the top left input on its own and turn the volume up. It can sound a bit thin sometimes, but just as long as the volume control is kept above 11 o clock

This is using a lead spec amp though. On a bass spec amp I would use the top left input for everything, since they're not ridiculously bright at low volumes.

Had a nice little jam on the sxc jazz today. Really do quite like that twin p90 sound. I mean I'd really like to try it out in a full band scenario with bass to fill out the lower end, but it's still sxc. Unfortunately it plays like absolute shit at the moment though, and Phil's rather occupied with his new job, so hopefully a familiar face on here may be helping me out

?

EDIT: I guess I just like that rawer kind of sound. Like...Shepherds Bush 2006, I think that sounds shit

Dundee 2006 was a fuzz mess :LOL: I think Reading 2011 was dull too. Shepherd's Bush 2006 imo is the good middle ground between fuzz and heavy. This tour it's been similar imo

Really? I always found it the other way around. (although there's only one thing that makes the two channels in the super bass different from each other, so they should be pretty close as far as overdrive goes)

When using pedals, I bridge the channels, but mainly use the normal channel. As far as distorted sounds go, I usually use the top left input on its own and turn the volume up. It can sound a bit thin sometimes, but just as long as the volume control is kept above 11 o clock

This is using a lead spec amp though. On a bass spec amp I would use the top left input for everything, since they're not ridiculously bright at low volumes.

I meant the Super Bass is similar to a Twin because it takes more to get it to break up than a Super Lead. But have heard examples where they seem to distort really easily, but probably been modded to Super Lead spec. Would be cool to have the option of both specs actually.

If I'm the only guitarist, then I'll bridge the channels by default, with another guitarist or layering sounds I would more likely stick to one.

Just the one overhead? Did you only have the two mics then? Curious to hear how it sounds

We had 5 mics but we put up the first overhead, checked to see how it sounded and we were just really happy with it! We wanted a little more punch from the snare so we added in the second mic, very low in the mix.

I need to edit the drum tracks a little as my laptop is slightly spastic and glitched a few little bits of it but thankfully drums are way more repetitive so they'll be easy things to fix. After that I'll record my bass, send that to my guitar who'll record his guitar and then I'll get our singer over to do his vocals.

[YT]

[/YT]

I think this is my favourite performance of Madness; that solo is just so fuzzy and tasty. Any idea what fuzz factory settings would be best for it?

Archived