ok

all of these things are the beauty of vintage amps. and anything else, for that matter. it's got that mojo, man.

What about the reissues though?

I'd say that's a good choice. For me, the aesthetics of the thing are the draw when you're looking at vintage amps like that. I know that I can build something that will sound better, and be far less likely to kill me, I wouldn't even think about buying just a chassis, unless I had an empty combo waiting for it, and even then, I'd probably end up replacing almost all the internals.

That said, do quite like the sound in the clip you linked.

Almost all of the internals? I've got a few older amps, and I've never really had anything replaced that doesn't need to be/won't need to be replaced.

And I've bought three chassises in the past :facepalm: One of which was considered hazardous and was rejected by a tech who worked on it in the past... but it was brought back to life and is probably my best sounding amp.

All of these were 70's Marshalls, so they're generally less of a rats nest than supros and other 60's point to point amps

But on the other hand... what do you think of this?

billyblades_zps5f8e09c9.jpg

P9260135_zps43b5cb96.jpg

P9020108_zpsf81cdeda.jpg

P9020109_zpse7656b8b.jpg

The story behind that is...

a new amp 'builder' claims he can build this guy an amp for cheap. the guy gives him a chance. he ends up with what you see above.

so the guy ends up rebuilding the amp from the ground up, and ends up with this

PC010053_zpsc921a003.jpg

I thought it was pretty cool. There's a thread about it here

http://www.marshallforum.com/workbench/62101-makeover.html

New year should hopefully bring some interesting toans with it

Hopefully getting an A/B-Y box for xmas, so I can split guitar signal to both Hayden and Blackstar and run both through my stereo cab. Just need to retube Hayden and then buy a shitload more of leads

Unfortunately, since I don't have a sxc MIDI rig with a sound sculpture switchblade...how would I go about putting pedals in the effects loop. Presuming I'd have to choose a single amp and have it running through the FX loop of just that amp?

Anyways, the goal is to become Simon Neil-ish. Clearly that's the only reason I still have the Hayden

Couple of random questions.

About to finish a glitterati replica and just wondering what to use in terms of glitter. Is there any specific colour or size of glitter that was used on the original or is it just your usual silver craft glitter?

Also, on Matt's keytar, does anyone have any idea how the light up outline was achieved? I've looked at LED strip lights but they don't really give the same effect. Ultimately I'd like to have something where the light is provided by a single LED but I'm not really sure how to go about it. Any suggestions?

EDIT: I've thought about having a thin piece of acrylic/ perspex with a couple of LEDs spaced around the inside of the guitar and then put a veneer on top to cover everything up. If i did go down this path, would the LEDs be bright enough to provide an even coverage around the edge of the guitar?

New year should hopefully bring some interesting toans with it

Hopefully getting an A/B-Y box for xmas, so I can split guitar signal to both Hayden and Blackstar and run both through my stereo cab. Just need to retube Hayden and then buy a shitload more of leads

Unfortunately, since I don't have a sxc MIDI rig with a sound sculpture switchblade...how would I go about putting pedals in the effects loop. Presuming I'd have to choose a single amp and have it running through the FX loop of just that amp?

Anyways, the goal is to become Simon Neil-ish. Clearly that's the only reason I still have the Hayden

I've wondered about the same thing recently. I don't think there's really a way to run the pedals in two effects loops at the same time without using a switching system like that.

And I ended up selling mine. Curious what the newer ones are like though.

I've wondered about the same thing recently. I don't think there's really a way to run the pedals in two effects loops at the same time without using a switching system like that.

And I ended up selling mine. Curious what the newer ones are like though.

Thinking of having blackstar as more chuggerZ heavy tone and Hayden with a sort of overdriven/Simon Neil toan, and then can switch to channel 2 on Hayden to 'blend' with blackstar for mega beef

Sent from Fabri is a nob

Oh also, when mic'ing guitar cabs, reflexion filters (think that's what they're called)...make much difference/worth it? Know that Matt uses/used one live

Sent from Fabri is a nob

Depends.

Can certainly see the value of using one for gigs as venues are rarely ideal acoustically, although would be pointless in small venues on the whole. In a bedroom studio on a low budget, a couple of duvets should be more than enough.

The SE one can be found for pretty good prices, so can't imagine it being a bad investment.

Nice choice of song, it's not their hardest so it should be doable :) Are you aiming for the studio version or the live version? And will you have a singer for this song?

It's probably the hardest to get the tone right, and the part before the bridge... that took me ages to learn properly.

Nice choice of song, it's not their hardest so it should be doable :) Are you aiming for the studio version or the live version? And will you have a singer for this song?

It's probably the hardest to get the tone right, and the part before the bridge... that took me ages to learn properly.

We aren't going to be doing it as a live cover. More of a thing to keep us sharp as players. We're worried about playing too many easy songs :LOL: I doubt our singer will be doing it as Maynard is a bit out of his range and its not really what he is into (By which I mean Prog/metal stuff)

I found a tab on tooltabs.net which has the variations that Justin plays live so I'll just see which I prefer. Tone-wise I don't have a flanger so I can't really do the intro exactly. As far as regular tone goes I haven't played the song on my actually rig so I don't know how much I'll need to adjust it.

Dav pls

If you're able to get the kyuss (as in Josh Homme) sound, then you shouldn't have trouble getting any other tone from any other band.

Speaking of which, I've found a pedal that sounds sort of like the rated R sound...maybe a little less edgy though

Dav pls

If you're able to get the kyuss (as in Josh Homme) sound, then you shouldn't have trouble getting any other tone from any other band.

Speaking of which, I've found a pedal that sounds sort of like the rated R sound...maybe a little less edgy though

Do tell....

guitar or bass tone?

This guy nailed it, but then he appears to have an identical setup

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCRExe6M_jU

Different song, but I mean the sound in general

Quite easy to "nail" sounds when it is still part of the backing track. :LOL:

But yeah, Tool isn't too difficult, just expensive. Cool thing is that it is more about the amps rather than the guitar used.

I've seen a great bass cover of forty six and two, can share if you want.

I don't know why you didn't post it already :p let's see it

Quite easy to "nail" sounds when it is still part of the backing track. :LOL:

But yeah, Tool isn't too difficult, just expensive. Cool thing is that it is more about the amps rather than the guitar used.

True, but I think we're still hearing his guitar for the most part since it's much louder.

And yeah, definitely has a LOT to do with the amps, and I'm guessing the Marshall more than anything else

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZUWQjE-ecs

Oh and apparently that guy in the other video has a super bass. The amp adam jones has is a super lead (for the most part) from what I've heard

Archived