Who would pick that colour?? And what' up with the bevel on the edge of the body?

I have seen that guitar around the internet many of times. I thought the green was an interesting take to make the guitar a little bit your own at least, instead of a red glitter replica, I personally wouldn't want the green though.

For the bevel, are you referring to the arm cut?

Whoa, has it all come together or is that a really well-done mockup?

Olly tricked us :stunned:

Nah it's done. Bridge works too.

Also, Jim (and Daev)... forgive me, but at those prices, I couldn't resist.

IMG_1898.jpg

It actually sounds great, and doesn't play too bad out of the box, but the build quality in some areas is pretty shocking.

Also, Jim (and Daev)... forgive me, but at those prices, I couldn't resist.

IMG_1898.jpg

It actually sounds great, and doesn't play too bad out of the box, but the build quality in some areas is pretty shocking.

Well done James, you've made Henry Jizzwincklebitch even richer and more powerful than before.

Well done James, you've made Henry Jizzwincklebitch even richer and more powerful than before.

WHAT HAVE I DONE

They're apparently having a 120th anniversary (???) next year and all the guitars are going to have a SPECIAL 12th fret inlay.

http://www2.gibson.com/Gibson-USA-2014.aspx

Not a fan. They could at least still do the regular ones without the grotesque inlay, but noooo...

WHAT HAVE I DONE

They're apparently having a 120th anniversary (???) next year and all the guitars are going to have a SPECIAL 12th fret inlay.

Not a fan. They could at least still do the regular ones without the grotesque inlay, but noooo...

I will admit, this looks the business

BAEBSFCH1-Finish-Shot.jpg

And why would Gibson actually do something perfectly? I mean, its not like the have the funding.

I played a Les Paul Traditional tonight, and I was quite impressed. The setup is excellent, though I can't say if it was like that out of the crate. Very low string action, slight fret buzz, but not bad. I would raise the action a bit so with heavier strings so you can give it a bit more stick. It was real heavy though, and balanced odd in a seated position. The 50's necks are nice, but they're somehow too rigid. If feels like you're just playing 'on' the fretboard, rather than the Fender feel of the whole neck. Does that make any sense?

Anyway, they seem to have greatly improved QC since the last time I played a new Gibson. They're pretty damn good now.

I will admit, this looks the business

BAEBSFCH1-Finish-Shot.jpg

And why would Gibson actually do something perfectly? I mean, its not like the have the funding.

I don't know if it's because they're not bothered, or that they actually can't.

It sounds more like they can't:

Factory tour was interesting....

-No cell phones, cameras, video/audio equipment allowed at all

-Super-strict security

-Tour guide: "This is an ES-137, like the type Trini Lopez or Dave Grohl of the Foo Fighters use." Except, neither of those people use ES-137s.

-Lots of CNC and machine labor, hardly any hand-building

-Tour guide was shocked and bitter when asked about the raid (:LOL:)

-Work environment sounds very strict. In fact, the whole factory had a very "Shh, they're watching us - must produce more guitars faster!" vibe. Did not dig.

-Lots and lots of laminates, very little solid wood being used.

Good tour. Sort of made me not want a modern Gibson anymore...

Assuming Jim didn't imagine all of that.

I played a Les Paul Traditional tonight, and I was quite impressed. The setup is excellent, though I can't say if it was like that out of the crate. Very low string action, slight fret buzz, but not bad. I would raise the action a bit so with heavier strings so you can give it a bit more stick. It was real heavy though, and balanced odd in a seated position. The 50's necks are nice, but they're somehow too rigid. If feels like you're just playing 'on' the fretboard, rather than the Fender feel of the whole neck. Does that make any sense?

Anyway, they seem to have greatly improved QC since the last time I played a new Gibson. They're pretty damn good now.

Nice, if it's a 2013 model, it's solid mahogany without any wood removed. I had a late 90's standard which was a great sounding and playing guitar, but was incredibly heavy for the same reason. I don't think the weight relief affects the sound too much (I wasn't able to tell the difference anyway), but I don't know about chambering.

There are a few issues with the one I just bought, but it's mainly cosmetic.

I am a fan of chambering for what it's worth, I like the way it affects the tone. It's subtle, but it is noticeable. As an added bonus, it cuts down the weight massively, which is never a bad thing.

My main guitar is actually a Chafin Boca, which is sort of a hollow body, but not really as It has a solid core, and chambered wings. It's very light and responsive, but a but neck heavy. I know it's not a great guitar but it works and my GK fits it better than my strat.

<back on topic>

Anyway, yes this was the '13 model with the solid Mahogany body so it was pretty heavy. I wonder what Mahogany they're using these days, it looks pretty insipid, sort of like Sapele. Is it definitely a true Mahogany I wonder, because supplies are not great for large widths now. Will investigate..

Personally a bit of a gibson boy. That special inlay works on some of the guitars pretty well. I think it just looks kind of awkward on the ones that have the trapezoid inlays.

The chambering that Gibson does now all depends on the personal preference and what you are looking to get out of the guitar. I do enjoy the new ones, they carry a great tone, and don't break your back. My buddy does have a Black LP Custom from 80's I believe it is. It is one solid piece of wood for the body, and and as heavy as it is, this feeling you get when you strum a chord on that guitar is just unparalleled.

Gibson's standards have slipped over time, still have to check out the guitar prior to buying, I wouldn't feel 100% confident buying one online. The out of the box isn't the best usually either.

There are actually a lot of epiphones out there that can give the Gibson line a run for their money. My one Epiphone Les Paul is still my main guitar over anything else right now. The sound and feel of it just tops the rest for some reason!

Personally a bit of a gibson boy. That special inlay works on some of the guitars pretty well. I think it just looks kind of awkward on the ones that have the trapezoid inlays.

The chambering that Gibson does now all depends on the personal preference and what you are looking to get out of the guitar. I do enjoy the new ones, they carry a great tone, and don't break your back. My buddy does have a Black LP Custom from 80's I believe it is. It is one solid piece of wood for the body, and and as heavy as it is, this feeling you get when you strum a chord on that guitar is just unparalleled.

Yeah I agree about the inlay - it could work if there were no other inlays I guess, but it looks out of place with the other trapezoids

as for the chambering, it's not a bad thing, but I feel like it loses some of that sound. I had a chambered classic (2007 I think) a few years back and it was nice, but it sounded a bit flat/dull/whatever.

Having said that, I had an amazing '99 DC lite a few years back (muse59200 on here now owns this) which was a very lively sounding guitar. These are not only chambered, but the body is about 3/4 of the thickness of a regular LP. I will say that it's a different sound though

And I used to have an '84 custom... I think the standard I mentioned was actually heavier. The custom probably had the weight relief (think they started doing that in '82 or so)

Small question: Can the hissing, feedback-like sounding noise that the Fuzz Factory makes (even when idle) be reduced, or even removed completely, with an ISP Decimator Noise Reduction pedal? It's extremely loud on my amp (Vox VT-120+)

Small question: Can the hissing, feedback-like sounding noise that the Fuzz Factory makes (even when idle) be reduced, or even removed completely, with an ISP Decimator Noise Reduction pedal? It's extremely loud on my amp (Vox VT-120+)

It could but the problem might be coming from your guitar. Check the grounds and look into getting it shielded. Its a bit more work but its much cheaper than a decimator and is a bit of a fail safe when it comes to your guitar.

I am a fan of chambering for what it's worth, I like the way it affects the tone. It's subtle, but it is noticeable. As an added bonus, it cuts down the weight massively, which is never a bad thing.

My main guitar is actually a Chafin Boca, which is sort of a hollow body, but not really as It has a solid core, and chambered wings. It's very light and responsive, but a but neck heavy. I know it's not a great guitar but it works and my GK fits it better than my strat.

<back on topic>

Anyway, yes this was the '13 model with the solid Mahogany body so it was pretty heavy. I wonder what Mahogany they're using these days, it looks pretty insipid, sort of like Sapele. Is it definitely a true Mahogany I wonder, because supplies are not great for large widths now. Will investigate..

is african mahogany considered true mahogany? It would be interesting to know what the lower end ones are made of...the LPJ was $550 (for 2013) but I'm guessing it was affordable because the neck was maple (not a bad thing in my opinion) and it didn't have les paul's name on the headstock

also...

"New Model Year serial numbering system enhances collectability"

Is this because the guitars are going to be worthless? all because of that damn inlay

Sounds a bit desperate! :chuckle:

They're running out of ideas...but we knew that long ago, after Henry J was the only one to JOIN THE REVOLUTION

So apparently there's a Muse gig today. I wonder if there will be anything particularly exciting...what time is it in Australia?

Jim?

It could but the problem might be coming from your guitar. Check the grounds and look into getting it shielded. Its a bit more work but its much cheaper than a decimator and is a bit of a fail safe when it comes to your guitar.

What do you mean by getting it shielded?

Archived