How would you rate Survival, on a scale of 1-5?  

800 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate Survival, on a scale of 1-5?

• Poor - What is this shite?
    • Fair - Well, it's tolerable, but I'll skip it a lot.
    • Good - Decent song, some good parts.
    • Very good - Mostly enjoyable, some really great moments, but not perfect.
    • Excellent - Holy crap, I love it. I had to change my pants.

How is it possible to not be surprised? They even described it as 'silly'. The lyrics aren't exactly what you'd expect of an Olympics song, it's fairy heavy compared to regular chart-music and it differs from the standard structures of most pop and rock songs. I still can't believe it's the official song being used daily for all events and ceremonies through the games before I actually see it myself :p

Yes I agree with what you say about it being an unusual choice, but that implies that it was never seriously written for the Olympics.

Incidentally, good for them, I'm so glad that they didn't compromise and still got chosen.

On another note the idea of competitive nature of humanity is thought by many to be a false assumption. We are actually naturally a lot more co-operative than these theories of our nature suggest. Co-operative behaviours have also been shown in animals, suggesting that they are inherent. It is the assumption that we are primarily driven by competition that has infiltrated economics which is wrecking everything, not humanity itself.

I think post-1.25, this is the most epic thing Muse have done since Take A Bow.

I absolutely love it. And I'll tell you something else, if it hadn't come with Olympic connotations, I don't think the lyrics would feel half as corny.

Tbh, they don't really bother me when there's so much riffage and beef :awesome:.

This.

The lyrics suit the olympics, I can't see much wrong with them. Lyrics don't have involve genius word-play and massive words to be good, it fits the theme.

The riffs and the guitar work are brilliant as well.

The interview after the premier seriously implies that the song was being orginally written with the Olympics in mind, but after the collaboration with the other artist, Matt was also adapting the same themes to work in context of the 2nd Law album. So, it became a bit of both.

As much as I remember, Zane was "leading" him a little, so it was sort of muddled. :LOL:

Someone also said that it may have been submitted to the Olympics committee as an instrumental only, prior to approval?

Animals cooperate when it's mutually beneficial to their survival, or the survival of their offspring/species. Large scale "cooperation" in species develops over time and becomes the "norm" for some, but it's still a behavioral evolution that exclusively drives continuation of the species.

Pretty much the same for humans, except at some point we developed a consciousness of our own death and individuality (due to heightened intellect and brain function, I suppose) and this got warped into a drive to further the life and life quality, of individuals, and not the species as a whole...

Being as the opening ceremony was a celebration of centre left values and institutions, and that Survival could easily be representative of the darkness and destruction of individualism, I wonder whether the subtle anti-right commentary will continue in the closing ceremony.

Is Danny Boyle in charge of the closing ceremony as well? If so, I have high expectations. :D

Has anyone heard the song while watching the Olympics yet?

I keep hearing chariots of fire.

I was just going to say that. This is the second medal ceremony I'm watching now and I haven't heard it yet. Granted, it may have been played before I tuned in.

Archived