Are Muse behind the curve?

Jimmyneutron

You don't sound like you're 87 as your profile says. Instead, you sound like a teenage kid who likes Muse because everyone else at school prefers dubstep, and now you're massively disappointed because you pick up hints of that very evil in Muse's new songs.

:LOL: Awesome.

Does this mean that it's okay to call Space Dementia classical music?

:LOL:

Ok you heard him/her guys. Game over.

/thread

That's a fact though.

Matthew Bellamy is just Thom Yorke backwards.

It's the same old shit at every album release.:LOL:

You get the haters and people accusing Muse of selling out, the unconditional lovers that embrace all they do, and the people preaching to others that they shouldn't judge an album based on 30 second clips. Not a lot else.

Exactly haha.

As far as embracing dubstep goes, most bands who've done so seem to do it with rather little variety. With Shikari you largely get chugga-chugga bits and then wub-wub bits, and with Korn it's hard to tell the dull, monotonous sludge of the guitars apart from the dull, monotonous sludge of the electronics.

There's room for a much more fully realised integration of the styles, and given Muse's success with MotP I reckon they could pull that off.

the circle of life

Reminds me of Rob Flynn talking about James Hetfield citing Machine Head as the main influence on Death Magnetic. I sincerely hope that Muse don't descend into the dirtiness pissing contest- the metal-influenced brostep thing reminded me that I have precisely the same problem with most metalcore.

It was just a guess, really.

It was more "dancey" in comparison to anything they'd ever done before, same with SMBH, plus with rock. But then Bliss is totally synth driven, PIB's bass line is Sexy Boy by Air, Hysteria & Stockholm Syndrome blended synths with guitars for that futuristic metal sound.

Wrong. This isn't dubstep. At all. Much more so than any of the previous four (!) album shockers (I'm talking TIRO, SMBH, Uprising and UD) the trailer (including the last part) exhibits a clear musical effort. That's new. If anything, Muse may be on the way back to the greatness of OoS and Showbiz (Exogenesis was a nice try). Unfortunately it's impossible to say for sure by these snippets.

Interesting (because I agree the songs you listed are not shocking, rather boring except SMBH I find funny). Could you please elaborate a bit more how you find the trailer snippet exhibits a clear musical effort?

Archived