Are Muse behind the curve?

Jimmyneutron

Exactly. I really don't understand why people are so shocked.

It's a style they've never tried. It doesn't matter if they SAY it's an influence, it's still a leap in a totally different direction for them so it's surprising to hear. They could SAY their new album is influenced by gangsta rap... that doesn't mean we won't be shocked by a trailer with Matt rapping about bitches and hos!

It's a style they've never tried. It doesn't matter if they SAY it's an influence, it's still a leap in a totally different direction for them so it's surprising to hear. They could SAY their new album is influenced by gangsta rap... that doesn't mean we won't be shocked by a trailer with Matt rapping about bitches and hos!

But the thing is that it isn't actually that different from what they've done before. Sure it's different, but SMBH was still a bigger step from what they normally do.

Sure the trailer sounded very different on first listen, but then you realise that when you hear the individual parts, it's not that special.

But the thing is that it isn't actually that different from what they've done before. Sure it's different, but SMBH was still a bigger step from what they normally do.

We'll have to agree to disagree, cos I can't see how SMBH - a rock song that's purely falsetto (Micro Cuts etc) - can be a bigger step than dubstep. I'm going with the basis alone that this shocked me way more than SMBH ever did. Maybe the contrast from strings to 'step in the trailer made the shock greater, but I don't agree that it's not different from what they've done before. Using a kaoss pad in live songs isn't the same as being heavily influenced by a different genre to one you've used before. Just my two cents.

What I mean is we have heard it before. I really don't know much about dubstep, but when I heard this from Muse I just thought of the noises in Matt's live solo's etc. At first it reminded me of the Groove's intro:LOL: But calling it dubstep? I don't know. Like I said, don't know much about it.

How the fuck does he sell records? That is truly awful.

Go away, hipster.

We'll have to agree to disagree, cos I can't see how SMBH - a rock song that's purely falsetto (Micro Cuts etc) - can be a bigger step than dubstep. I'm going with the basis alone that this shocked me way more than SMBH ever did. Maybe the contrast from strings to 'step in the trailer made the shock greater, but I don't agree that it's not different from what they've done before. Using a kaoss pad in live songs isn't the same as being heavily influenced by a different genre to one you've used before. Just my two cents.

BUT IT ISN'T DUBSTEP. It's mostly their normal instruments doing a riff slightly different with an effect on top.

What I mean is we have heard it before. I really don't know much about dubstep, but when I heard this from Muse I just thought of the noises in Matt's live solo's etc. At first it reminded me of the Groove's intro:LOL: But calling it dubstep? I don't know. Like I said, don't know much about it.

Go away, hipster.

BUT IT ISN'T DUBSTEP. It's mostly their normal instruments doing a riff slightly different with an effect on top.

Okay, so explain why it ISN'T dubstep. This sounds like another case of people getting their knickers in a twist over defining genres, tbh. As in, 'Muse have never done prog / neoclassical etc music'. I'm not overly fussed with the technical definitions of genres, but more about how the influences translate into Muse's music. I heard the last 30 seconds of the trailer and the first thing I thought was 'dubstep'. So did most people, as that word has been bandied about here endlessly in the past 24 hours. That's not to say this one clip is now part of the dubstep 'canon' or whatever, but it's Muse's take on the genre. They've personalised it, imo.

Okay, so explain why it ISN'T dubstep. This sounds like another case of people getting their knickers in a twist over defining genres, tbh. As in, 'Muse have never done prog / neoclassical etc music'. I'm not overly fussed with the technical definitions of genres, but more about how the influences translate into Muse's music. I heard the last 30 seconds of the trailer and the first thing I thought was 'dubstep'. So did most people, as that word has been bandied about here endlessly in the past 24 hours. That's not to say this one clip is now part of the dubstep 'canon' or whatever, but it's Muse's take on the genre. They've personalised it, imo.

I'm just saying I'm not shocked. And if this is dubstep, then I really don't understand why people are shocked. Because then they have done dubstep for years already. I heard instruments. But the robot voice was new.

Go away, hipster.

Plebian

People have also said Dead Star and Assassin are heavy metal. The preview has heavy electronic stylings but it's not dubstep

That the song is influenced by dubstep is undeniable, but it isn't dubstep. Which is why it isn't that different. Muse hadn't done opera before IBTY, and they hadn't done barbershop vocals before Assassin.

Neither of those songs belong to those genres though.

I'm not getting caught up in the technical definition of 'dubstep'. I'm saying the Unsustainable section is without doubt heavily influenced by dubstep. There's 30 seconds of solid evidence of that. It's what I think of when I hear it. As I said, that's not to suggest that their sound is now part of the dubstep genre, but it's MUSE'S TAKE on dubstep. Their version. So the fact that people keep referring to dubstep when they talk about the clip isn't inaccurate. Going round in circles here :LOL:.

Anyway, so to sum up: No. Muse aren't behind the curve.

I'm not getting caught up in the technical definition of 'dubstep'. I'm saying the Unsustainable section is without doubt heavily influenced by dubstep. .

Lol. I think someone just said that.

Ok you heard him/her guys. Game over.

/thread

I'm not getting caught up in the technical definition of 'dubstep'. I'm saying the Unsustainable section is without doubt heavily influenced by dubstep. There's 30 seconds of solid evidence of that. It's what I think of when I hear it. As I said, that's not to suggest that their sound is now part of the dubstep genre, but it's MUSE'S TAKE on dubstep. Their version. So the fact that people keep referring to dubstep when they talk about the clip isn't inaccurate. Going round in circles here :LOL:.

Does this mean that it's okay to call Space Dementia classical music?

Archived