How exactly does Muse sound like Radiohead?

Xvm27

Fair enough, but like you said, it's still just a segment of the fanbase.

Precisely, and it's neither honest nor fair to use them to make any broader point about the fanbase or the band, and it certainly has nothing to do with the music. They do, however, stick out.

I think because Radiohead often does try to approach that boundary between the accessible and the esoteric that engenders a very special kind of "weird", in that they try to be elitist and populist (probably the wrong word but you get my drift) at the same time, which just ends up looking truly bizarre.

DITTO!

But here's to hoping that Muse doesn't pull a "Radiohead" on their next album and give us an hours-worth of pretentious elevator music. ;)

Amen. King of Limbs was my definition of music without any real heart. What really horrified me was that I didn't love it and I didn't hate it. I didn't feel anything for it.

Matt's always insisted that any similarity was owed to him and Yorke sharing Jeff Buckley as an influence and using the same producer on Showbiz who produced The Bends.

Matt's always insisted that any similarity was owed to him and Yorke sharing Jeff Buckley as an influence and using the same producer on Showbiz who produced The Bends.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that they named Radiohead as an influence during the start of their career. But once the comparisons became so annoyingly loud and spoken about, Muse never mentioned them again.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that they named Radiohead as an influence during the start of their career. But once the comparisons became so annoyingly loud and spoken about, Muse never mentioned them again.

This is true. Watch and read some old interviews. Some very old interviews.

I think because Radiohead often does try to approach that boundary between the accessible and the esoteric that engenders a very special kind of "weird", in that they try to be elitist and populist (probably the wrong word but you get my drift) at the same time, which just ends up looking truly bizarre.

Exactly!

You mean like Muse fans are 14-year old fangirls who are all "pwoper fans" and loves everything they do no matter what?

No, I'd say the majority of Muse fans are avid fans of the band and they are able to critique the band and say when they do not approve of something, while with the RH fanbase, it is so taboo to say anything relatively negative about the band. People seem to get so touchy if you give off the hint that you might not love everything that spews out from Thom York's ass.

Case in point...

No, I'd say the majority of Muse fans are avid fans of the band and they are able to critique the band and say when they do not approve of something

Or expel vast quantities of hateful bile on to the internet.

DIAMONDS WOULD BE NICER.

This pretty much defines "pretentious" if you ask me. I do think the word can be used to describe some musicians -- maybe not the music itself -- but certainly the musicians.

Another thing that points me in that direction is the fact that Thom Yorke is (from what I've heard) an asshole as a person, and not at all friendly.

This pretty much defines "pretentious" if you ask me. I do think the word can be used to describe some musicians -- maybe not the music itself -- but certainly the musicians.

Another thing that points me in that direction is the fact that Thom Yorke is (from what I've heard) an asshole as a person, and not at all friendly.

Thom Yorke is not a nice person, but never claims or tries to be, but then, people who've met Bellamy have found him to be a bit of an arse. Some legendary musicians are even bigger cunts and downright nasty people.

people who've met Bellamy have found him to be a bit of an arse.

Really? He's always seemed a fairly approachable person on the few pieces of footage that I've seen of people meeting him. Well apart from the one where he completely blanks the girl trying to talk to him, but I think that was for legal reasons.

Have you got any examples of him being an arse? Shame about Thom though, he seems quite an interesting person.

Thom Yorke is not a nice person, but never claims or tries to be, but then, people who've met Bellamy have found him to be a bit of an arse. Some legendary musicians are even bigger cunts and downright nasty people.

And some are very nice people!

A few "notoriously nice" musicians are Gwen Stephani, Slash, David Bowie, I dunno -- Chris Wolstenhome for goodness sake!! :LOL: I've seen Matt come off as a bit shy sometimes, but never as an outright asshole. I forgot to add Dave Grohl, who is a super nice guy -- I met him myself & had a few beers with him!

What have you heard? Only because he treated Dom bad doesn't mean he's an asshole

From Wikipedia:

"A number of celebrities have been upset by Yorke's alleged rudeness. In 2001, Kelly Jones, the lead singer of the Welsh band Stereophonics, referred to Thom Yorke as a "miserable twat"[55] (a comment he later retracted).[56] In 2002, Jack Black claimed to have approached Yorke to congratulate him on his solo show at the Bridge School benefit concert in San Francisco, only for Yorke to ignore him and walk away. Referring to the incident, Black stated in an interview: "I heard later that he's famously cold, and it wasn't just me that he despises, but the whole world."[57] After completing a trek of Kilimanjaro in 2009, Ronan Keating was asked by an interviewer which celebrity he would most like to throw off a mountain. Keating named Yorke, and referred to him as a "muppet", stating that Yorke was once rude to him.[58] In the same year, Miley Cyrus and Kanye West also complained about Yorke's alleged rudeness.[59]

[edit] "

Rumor is too that he turned his back and walked away from Kate Hudson the same day she hooked up with Matt.

I think he would've turned his back on Kate Hudson no matter who she was with.

She wasn't with Matt -- yet. The official rumor (if there is such a thing) is that she tried to flirt with Thom Yorke and he walked off so she then started looking elsewhere. ;)

From Wikipedia:

"A number of celebrities have been upset by Yorke's alleged rudeness. In 2001, Kelly Jones, the lead singer of the Welsh band Stereophonics, referred to Thom Yorke as a "miserable twat"[55] (a comment he later retracted).[56] In 2002, Jack Black claimed to have approached Yorke to congratulate him on his solo show at the Bridge School benefit concert in San Francisco, only for Yorke to ignore him and walk away. Referring to the incident, Black stated in an interview: "I heard later that he's famously cold, and it wasn't just me that he despises, but the whole world."[57] After completing a trek of Kilimanjaro in 2009, Ronan Keating was asked by an interviewer which celebrity he would most like to throw off a mountain. Keating named Yorke, and referred to him as a "muppet", stating that Yorke was once rude to him.[58] In the same year, Miley Cyrus and Kanye West also complained about Yorke's alleged rudeness.[59]

[edit] "

Rumor is too that he turned his back and walked away from Kate Hudson the same day she hooked up with Matt.

Don't know what point you're trying to prove here. Thom Yorke does have "celebrity" friends and all that, just he only seems to talk to people who interest him. Kid A came about from Thom listening to the radio with Bjork and being deeply offended by bands like Coldplay, who cite Radiohead as an influence.

Also Thom Yorke has children with his long-term partner, so that rumour is a bit stupid.

Archived