Anyone notice how bad Origin of Symmetry sounds?

sangforabsolution

I listen to it on record and it does sound terrible. So thin. No depth.

I'm sorry but as it goes for a three-piece band in 99/00/01, with not exactly state of the art production facilities, the album is incredibly broad in terms of sound and full of detail. I don't know where you are coming from with that statement

I'm sorry but as it goes for a three-piece band in 99/00/01, with not exactly state of the art production facilities, the album is incredibly broad in terms of sound and full of detail. I don't know where you are coming from with that statement

I have absolutely no idea where you're coming from with this statement either.

I have absolutely no idea where you're coming from with this statement either.

The production in Origin of Symmetry given the lesser budget and knowledge on recording than they do now was pretty damn good is my point. It was better than what they do now with megabucks and plenty of experience is what I'm saying

The production in Origin of Symmetry given the lesser budget and knowledge on recording than they do now was pretty damn good is my point. It was better than what they do now with megabucks and plenty of experience is what I'm saying

There was plenty of heavily experienced personnel involved in OOS, as well as high end studios.

Muse don't record everything themselves, so their individual experience in regards to production is irrelevant.

I've never tried Skullcandies so I won't comment on that, but I've actually heard that the Dr Dre ones are meant to be good? I've got a pair of Sennheiser HDs which I'm more than happy with

I think it's more like "They are AMAZING, compared to the iPod earbuds i've been using until now"

OOS is their best "sounding" album production wise by a country mile imho.

edit: this does not reflect well on the production of their other albums, ftr

Muse have never really had amazing production in albums. They've normally made up for it live. Like Stockholm on album vs. in concert.

My friend had Beats by Dr Dre. They had pretty terrible sound quality, even compared to some that cost about £10.

I found this list fairly useful in terms of headphones.

[spoiler=Headphones]Headphone%20Guide.jpg

Thanks for that list, it was really useful. I might decide to buy better Sennheiser headphones, but I'm satisfied with mine right now. I think ones quality of their headphones has a little to do with ones perspective on the quality of the album.

not only is the recording shit, but also the songs. I mean, what is Matt even singing in Micro Cuts? I don't even...

tbh, the only reason I like Muse is because of The Resistance. I Belong to You is absolute genius.

/el oh el

dey see me trollin'

:ninja:

Im very happy with my sennheiser HD. I think skullcandies are overated as well as dr Dre's beats. Anyway, thats just my opinion

I have Sennheiser HD 590 - but really for me headphones don't compare to speakers which really let the music breath.

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/headphones-home-audio/headphones/sennheiser/hd-590/prd_118011_2750crx.aspx

You know Rock is dead when people are complaining about it being too loud & distorted.

:) part true but then you have metallica - death magnetic, great songs and raw energy but sounds crap.

loud? why the hell are you complaining about the volume?

this: "Modern albums that use such extreme dynamic range compression therefore sacrifice sound quality to loudness."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

Personally, I like what John Leckie did with OOS. I just wish it was a bit more dynamic. And it's definitely not that loud and compressed compared to a lot of modern records.

I agree - although I also find OSS sounds a bit clinical and lacking in warmth

Muse have never really had amazing production in albums. They've normally made up for it live. Like Stockholm on album vs. in concert.

yes but The Resistance sounds great - I have the vinyl and it rocks, in particular Exogenesis :D

this: "Modern albums that use such extreme dynamic range compression therefore sacrifice sound quality to loudness."

That is true, but OoS isn't completely dominated by the loudness war. In the pic I have Hyper Music (one of the "loudest" in OoS)with Broken Beat and Scarred from Death Magnetic. You can see Hyper Music still has some range. Both aren't the highest quality (I really should re-rip the files, but laziness).

loudnessoosdeathmagnetic.jpg

Yeah true. In particular Abso/BH&R songs sounded much better live than on record.

This could be a deliberate choice though... perhaps the band wanted to allow room for improvement in a live setting?

Just to stop you there, the "Loudness War" has always existed and somehow irrelevant to this thread, as all subsequent Muse albums are far worse in that respect.

Motown records were always intentionally tinny to help them sound louder on radio. Pioneering 60's producers like Phil Specktor and Joe Meek made a lot of use of limiters/levelling amplifiers to achieve their sounds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NMnQdtFGOU

Another technique was to keep the songs as short as possible, which allows for the grooves in vinyl to be larger, allowing for greater volume, having less bass also allowed for the same. An iPod today is no different to a 60's jukebox.

Not all music suffers from modern techniques for increasing volume. Electronic music doesn't tend to suffer as much, if at all as there are plenty of techniques to help increase loudness, some of them actually introduce dynamics into the music (Sidechain compression and all that). Unfortunately these techniques don't translate well into rock music. -

Subsequent Muse albums should have mastered quieter (Absolution & BH&R sound crap on a decent set of speakers), but OOS gains as the approach of a "live band with everything set to 11, too loud for the studio and smoke pouring out of the mixing desk & limiters" comes across wonderfully. Might not be perfect production, but who cares?

Also, sometimes people want their music over-compressed, as long as it's what the artists themselves want, then judge it with an open mind.

Edited by haze015

Trolling?

Knights is 10x better live, the riff sounds so weak in comparison on the record.

And Map was absolutely superb on the Resistance Tour.

I couldn't hear the little details of Map live and the piano was too quiet.

Knights doesn't have the same ammount of distortion/effects on the riff and the bass doesn't have the same punch.

I couldn't hear the little details of Map live and the piano was too quiet.

Knights doesn't have the same ammount of distortion/effects on the riff and the bass doesn't have the same punch.

If you think MOTP sounds good on record, then there's something wrong with you.