Anyone notice how bad Origin of Symmetry sounds?

sangforabsolution

I think the production's pretty good, though I think Absolution could do with a job that brings out a bit more oomph in the guitar, rawer than the original mix. I reckon Origin has a better sound overall, while their subsequent stuff is just a little to slick.

In terms of sound, I'm quite glad Muse didn't go with Rick Rubin as a producer for The Resistance, seeing as I've found the sound of quite a lot of things he's produced lately a bit "flat" or "colourless". A Thousand Suns by Linkin Park being a good example- I thought the album was pretty good, but I felt that on tracks like "Blackout" and "Wretches and Kings" the guitars and distorted synths lacked impact. Same problem with "The Subliminal Verses" - I don't think it's possible to completely take the edge off Jim Root and Mick Thompson's guitar playing, but certainly the guitars don't create the monstrous walls of noise that you get on their previous and subsequent work.

Maybe they should get Robinson to produce the new album? Contentious I know, but what are anyone's views on that?

Here's an opportunity I have where I can promote BH&R: Its production quality might not be great, but boy does it have an intense feel. That was not lost in the slightest.

You sir are an incompetent nut. Off with you.

Couldn't have put it better. It could do with some more muscle in the mix, though I'd say that for all three albums post-Origin. I'd like the new album to have a harsher mix, perhaps like that on Unknown Pleasures- have Chris' bass a bit deeper but still prominent in the mix.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

NO!

OoS is great!

I do however agree that the production is less than their last 3 albums, but who cares, it still sounds better than pretty much everything these days

Do you really think that the production in OoS is worse than the production in BH&R?

Which songs on OOS do you think have bad production? :erm:

They're not bad., I never said that...

But if you listen to songs on The Resistance, you can just hear that it's more produced on these days' standards, more perfect, mistakes digitally removed, every instrument more clear, things like that... OoS has that less, and I prefer that, but I agree that the production is 'less' in a way..

Better but less.. how weird..:rolleyes:

They're not bad., I never said that...

But if you listen to songs on The Resistance, you can just hear that it's more produced on these days' standards, more perfect, mistakes digitally removed, every instrument more clear, things like that... OoS has that less, and I prefer that, but I agree that the production is 'less' in a way..

Better but less.. how weird..:rolleyes:

I wasn't referring to The Resistance though, I was on about how you think some songs on BHAR are better produced than some on OOS which I found odd because BHAR is horribly produced while OOS doesn't have a single badly produced song on it so I was wondering what made you think that.

I wasn't referring to The Resistance though, I was on about how you think some songs on BHAR are better produced than some on OOS which I found odd because BHAR is horribly produced while OOS doesn't have a single badly produced song on it so I was wondering what made you think that.

Now I think of it.. yeah you're right, I think Starlight is an exception,

But with OoS you can hear that the bass, and drums aren't right in your ears, as they are in TR and probably the new album based on Survival,

Now I think of it.. yeah you're right, I think Starlight is an exception,

But with OoS you can hear that the bass, and drums aren't right in your ears, as they are in TR and probably the new album based on Survival,

The bass and drums sound great to me, what are you listening to the album through?

The bass and drums sound great to me, what are you listening to the album through?

I listen both TR + Survival and OoS through the same earphones (Sennheisser extra bass) so I think I can surely make the comparison...

And I will say this one more time... I don't think they are bad, I never said I think they are bad, and I will never say that they are bad, because I think they aren't.. I'm just saying, I think some songs on their later albums, and pretty much all songs on TR and Survival sound better (production)