NME Greatest Frontmen and Women

initialdylan

Music isn't meant to be completely note perfect or 100% in time, as everything would sound like a MIDI file. It's the flaws that make music human.

And instruments like guitar and of course vocals are capable of hitting notes that don't exist in the chromatic scale, but still sound in tune, the pentatonic scale used in Blues/Rock can't actually be played on a keyboard.

I'd much rather hear someone fuck up putting their heart & soul into what they are doing than tame it down just to get it "right". Any decent frontman knows what is "right" changes every night.

Not sure if you're agreeing or disagreeing with what I said :p But yes, I agree.

I'd much rather hear someone fuck up putting their heart & soul into what they are doing than tame it down just to get it "right".

I'd rather hear someone put their heart & soul into what they are doing -and- get it right. Sure, messy and energetic approach might work for punk rock, but mistakes do not always make for charmingly human details that enrich the concert experience. Sometimes they just plain make you cringe. Some of Muse's early performances on YouTube sure as heck make me cringe.

Sure, messy and energetic approach might work for punk rock, but mistakes do not always make for charmingly human details that enrich the concert experience. Sometimes they just plain make you cringe.

Well done on stating the obvious.

But we've not defined what a "mistake" is in the context we've been discussing and what you're getting "right", a completely accidental fuck up/not perfect technique or anything that deviates from the original song?

I just don't get why people would expect outright perfect performances from rock musicians. If people want that, start listening to and going to watch virtuosos perform, but they don't slide around stages on their knees and set fire to stuff...

But we've not defined what a "mistake" is in the context we've been discussing and what you're getting "right", a completely accidental fuck up/not perfect technique or anything that deviates from the original song?

I was responding to your statement that you'd rather hear someone fuck up putting their heart & soul into what they are doing than tame it down just to get it "right". I assumed that by 'fuck up' you meant a mistake as in not perfect technique. I can't see why a deviation from the original song would be described as a fuck up, a variation still can sound right to the ear.

Yes, she's 40 and from Washington and clearly knows everything there is to know about the NME, right? ;)

Wow, that was a weird attack. I have been reading NME since 1983. We do have magazine stores here in the states and I am 40, therefore I have been around longer, this kid is younger than my oldest daughter. You think NME is exclusive to UK? How naive are you!

Back on topic though....Can someone please explain to me how LIam Gallagher is a great frontman? He stands there with his arms behind his back in front of a mic sometimes with a guitar and always with sunglasses on not acknowleging the audience at all. :(

Back on topic though....Can someone please explain to me how LIam Gallagher is a great frontman? He stands there with his arms behind his back in front of a mic sometimes with a guitar and always with sunglasses on not acknowleging the audience at all. :(

It's the sheer arrogance, he doesn't need to perform. Although the idea is copied from Ian Brown of The Stone Roses.

Also, how is it people can't hear/see the shoegazer influence in Oasis!? It's so obvious!

Wow, that was a weird attack. I have been reading NME since 1983. We do have magazine stores here in the states and I am 40, therefore I have been around longer, this kid is younger than my oldest daughter. You think NME is exclusive to UK? How naive are you!

I think you missed the point.

"16 years old from Ohio", that is naive if anything. We are talking about 2004 here, not 1983.

And if you're still not getting it, it wasn't an attack based on where you live, it was a joke due to the fact that you clearly tried to make a point by the age and location of the person you quoted. Like a 16 year old couldn't follow up on a bands history on the internet.

Judging someones argument based on their age, and you call someone else naive.

I think you missed the point.

"16 years old from Ohio", that is naive if anything. We are talking about 2004 here, not 1983.

And if you're still not getting it, it wasn't an attack based on where you live, it was a joke due to the fact that you clearly tried to make a point by the age and location of the person you quoted. Like a 16 year old couldn't follow up on a bands history on the internet.

Judging someones argument based on their age, and you call someone else naive.

You aren't happy unless you are putting someone down or arguing needlessly with someone are you? There is absolutely NOTHING naive about me!!!

You think I stopped reading NME after 1983? Years progress and people still keep reading esp. something they are interested in. My life revolves around music, British music in general. Its cyclical. NME has always favored a band and then falls out of favor with that band when everyone else does. And you are 19. Come back and talk to me when you are 30 or 40 and have actually lived you life a little bit. When I was 19 I sure as hell thought I knew everything, but I didn't. And I can admit that now. I still don't know everything, but I sure as HELL know a lot more than someone who is 20 years or younger, about just about everything. Thats not arrogance; thats age and experience. Don't talk to me until you grow up and experienced things a bit. You don't know me or my life so don't presume you do!

/rant over.:mad:

It's the sheer arrogance, he doesn't need to perform. Although the idea is copied from Ian Brown of The Stone Roses.

Also, how is it people can't hear/see the shoegazer influence in Oasis!? It's so obvious!

Absolutely! I didn't even think about the connection! I LOVED The Stone Roses! Ian Brown was, in my op., far more entertaining then Liam is. Oasis was put on this super high pedestal and Liam acts as though they are still up there. It's kinda pathetic. This actually made me laugh:

You aren't happy unless you are putting someone down or arguing needlessly with someone are you? There is absolutely NOTHING naive about me!!!

You think I stopped reading NME after 1983? Years progress and people still keep reading esp. something they are interested in. My life revolves around music, British music in general. Its cyclical. NME has always favored a band and then falls out of favor with that band when everyone else does. And you are 19. Come back and talk to me when you are 30 or 40 and have actually lived you life a little bit. When I was 19 I sure as hell thought I knew everything, but I didn't. And I can admit that now. I still don't know everything, but I sure as HELL know a lot more than someone who is 20 years or younger, about just about everything. Thats not arrogance; thats age and experience. Don't talk to me until you grow up and experienced things a bit. You don't know me or my life so don't presume you do!

You are missing the point once again. When did I ever imply that you didn't know what you were talking about?

"You think I stopped reading NME after 1983?"

What? Did you even read what I wrote?

And you are doing it again. Putting down someones argument by they age. That would be correct, if we were talking about anything even remotely connected to experience. I was defending someone that you were talking down on by commenting on the age, and you return by commenting about my age, while telling me that I'm putting people down. Get a grip.

You don't need to have read the NME since 1983 to know something that happened 2004. Is it clear enough for you now? There is no need to start commenting on age just because someone disagreed with you. Age gives you experience, but it clearly doesn't give you logic.

"Don't talk to me until you grow up"

"And you are 19. Come back and talk to me when you are 30 or 40 and have actually lived you life a little bit."

" sure as HELL know a lot more than someone who is 20 years or younger"

"You don't know me or my life so don't presume you do!"

Just how ignorant are you?

Oh and

"You aren't happy unless you are putting someone down or arguing needlessly with someone are you?"

Just goes so well with

"You don't know me or my life so don't presume you do!"

Do you use these age arguments every time someone disagrees? "I'm older so I know better" even though experience in life has absolutely nothing to do with the subject at hand? Like for example how the fact that you have read the NME since 1983 doesn't matter at all when discussing something written over 20 years later.

"I know better than you because I'm older". Well you sure don't sound a day older than 10 to me.

Absolutely! I didn't even think about the connection! I LOVED The Stone Roses! Ian Brown was, in my op., far more entertaining then Liam is. Oasis was put on this super high pedestal and Liam acts as though they are still up there. It's kinda pathetic. This actually made me laugh:

Well Liam is a great frontman because we're still talking about Oasis and people still love/hate them and the Gallaghers have been fantastic at fueling it and both live & breathe what the band was all about.

Lol at middle aged women arguing with teenagers.

More lol at middle aged woman reading NME and thinking it has represents British music! :LOL:

NME is and always has been a pile of shit read by idiots. It originally made it's name by slagging off bands for the sake of it, then find a scene, build it up, then tear it down, find the next one for a heavily narrow part of what is "British music".

Edit - I'm pretty sure it's Marc Almond who claimed to have a bad review by the NME framed as he doesn't want to ever get a good review by them or something.

Frankly I don't give a shit how long you've been reading NME, I just thought your attack on the 16 year old was pretty bitchy, snarky and uncalled for. I don't know about you but at 16 I pretty much knew shit about music, maybe a bit more patience with the noobs next time?

Thanks to Sippe and the people who actually "got it" and tried to explain in my absence :)

:LOL: NO seriously, get get a grip. I'm 40 too and I treat the people on here as my equals whatever their age, you need to learn some respect for your peers because whether you like it or not, whether these people are 16 or 57 on this board they ARE your peers and our age doesn't give us the right to walk all over people with your opinions. It's as bad a pulling rank because you think your Muse's "biggest fan" or something.

Sippe was making the point he knew I meant, nothing more. You made a judgement because you could see someone was 16 and from Ohio, I did the same to you so you could see that it was pretty stupid. The end.

Liam Gallagher is one of the most iconic frontmen because of his attitude. He always acts like he owns the arenas he performs in, he's never overawed by anything at all, and his off-stage attitude contributes to that just as much as his on-stage attitude does. It's the swagger he has, and he's not a very good musician. Not a great singer at all. It took Noel ages to get him used to singing in a studio with headphones on :LOL:

Bellamy used to be a great frontman, back in the days when his stage moves didn't seem as practised and he didn't care about hitting the odd bum note, because back then Muse were more about the stage presence. Nowadays it's all about the light shows and Bellamy has changed. Perhaps hiting himself in the face with his headstock too many times has scared him away from the spontaneity he used to exhibit.

More lol at middle aged woman reading NME and thinking it has represents British music! :LOL:

NME is and always has been a pile of shit read by idiots. It originally made it's name by slagging off bands for the sake of it, then find a scene, build it up, then tear it down, find the next one for a heavily narrow part of what is "British music".

Edit - I'm pretty sure it's Marc Almond who claimed to have a bad review by the NME framed as he doesn't want to ever get a good review by them or something.

Heeey, I'm not an idiot! It just took me a couple of issues to realise it wasn't as good as everyone said it is!

I still had to soil my reputation sometimes by buying it whenever there was a band featured I wanted to read about though :'(

Archived