NME Greatest Frontmen and Women

initialdylan

That was a train wreck in my opinion but hey, everyones entitled to their opinion. I'd rather watch Matt shuffle perfectly across the stage. :$

Yeah I agree. I don't really see what is good about that musically and anyone can jump about the stage but there you go. As has been said, each to their own.

But, I'm not going to start arguing that Matt is the greatest frontman, (and I don't bother to vote on these things as they're generally ongoing), I don't really care, its watching the performance of the music I enjoy, the more subtle stuff - the ability, quality and professionalism that I admire more than anything, together with the relationship with the music. But there have been times this tour when Matt has upped the frontman stakes too, usually in quite a saucy way! :chuckle:

That was a train wreck in my opinion but hey, everyones entitled to their opinion. I'd rather watch Matt shuffle perfectly across the stage. :$

It's a particularly famous television performance by a band falling apart, equipment breaking, probably up to their eyeballs on god knows what doing something they don't want to do. They didn't need to swap around instruments and mime to thoroughly take the piss! :p

One of the guitarists performing there is Omar Rodiguez, often seen in greatest guitarist polls. :)

Yeah I agree. I don't really see what is good about that musically and anyone can jump about the stage but there you go. As has been said, each to their own.

But, I'm not going to start arguing that Matt is the greatest frontman, (and I don't bother to vote on these things as they're generally ongoing), I don't really care, its watching the performance of the music I enjoy, the more subtle stuff - the ability, quality and professionalism that I admire more than anything, together with the relationship with the music. But there have been times this tour when Matt has upped the frontman stakes too, usually in quite a saucy way! :chuckle:

It's punk rock, there's no emphasis put on musicality or technical ability, it's all about energy and no, jumping around isn't easy on stage as it's completely knackering, trying exercising hard for over an hour whilst singing, then start going on about how "anyone can do it".

And Matt has got worse as a front man. So focussed on precision he's looking and behaving like every other commercial diva rather than a rock star. Throwing hissy fits for getting a few notes wrong, having to swap guitars every single song, the rehearsed few lines of banter, rehearsed "improv", the songs sound exactly the same night after night...

It's a particularly famous television performance by a band falling apart, equipment breaking, probably up to their eyeballs on god knows what doing something they don't want to do. They didn't need to swap around instruments and mime to thoroughly take the piss! :p

One of the guitarists performing there is Omar Rodiguez, often seen in greatest guitarist polls. :)

It's punk rock, there's no emphasis put on musicality or technical ability, it's all about energy and no, jumping around isn't easy on stage as it's completely knackering, trying exercising hard for over an hour whilst singing, then start going on about how "anyone can do it".

And Matt has got worse as a front man. So focussed on precision he's looking and behaving like every other commercial diva rather than a rock star. Throwing hissy fits for getting a few notes wrong, having to swap guitars every single song, the rehearsed few lines of banter, rehearsed "improv", the songs sound exactly the same night after night...

You had those arguments rehearsed even before you posted the video, admit it :LOL:

Agree completely though. I have seen that performance far too many times. ^^

You had those arguments rehearsed even before you posted the video, admit it :LOL:

I didn't actually. I just put that ATDI video up for a laugh. It is the absolute definition of rock'n'roll to me.

But yeah, a great musician =/= great frontman and vice versa.

Well I don't agree. I can't be bothered to argue it though, except to say, yes of course it takes energy to jump around on stage and you need to be fit obviously, but that doesn't mean there are any particular skills or musical talent involved.

Well I don't agree. I can't be bothered to argue it though, except to say, yes of course it takes energy to jump around on stage and you need to be fit obviously, but that doesn't mean there are any particular skills or musical talent involved.

What has that got to do with being a frontman though?

There are plenty of epically talented musicians who couldn't command an audience to save their life. Likewise there are plenty of great frontmen with no musical ability whatsoever.

There are plenty of epically talented musicians who couldn't command an audience to save their life. Likewise there are plenty of great frontmen with no musical ability whatsoever.

Well if you want to watch "frontmen with no musical ability" it's up to you, but I couldn't be bothered.

David Gilmour and Johnny Rotten are the two that spring to mind for me in those two categories. Freddie Mercury was one of the world's greatest frontmen, he knew how to own a stage and make an audience his, AND he had the singing chops to back it up.

I always find that the best frontmen are the ones with massive egos, who truly believe they belong on the stage as more than just a member in a band.

Well if you want to watch "frontmen with no musical ability" it's up to you, but I couldn't be bothered.

I've only posted massively talented individuals musically so far.

But yeah, if they are going to put a show on, far more interesting than someone stood there being pitch perfect. Who goes to a rock gig to see that?

David Gilmour and Johnny Rotten are the two that spring to mind for me in those two categories. Freddie Mercury was one of the world's greatest frontmen, he knew how to own a stage and make an audience his, AND he had the singing chops to back it up.

I always find that the best frontmen are the ones with massive egos, who truly believe they belong on the stage as more than just a member in a band.

Honestly no idea who I'd go with as the best as I honestly think Queen are fucking awful.

But yeah, if they are going to put a show on, far more interesting than someone stood there being pitch perfect. Who goes to a rock gig to see that?

Who goes to Muse for a rock gig?

You can put on a show and be more of less pitch perfect. That's what I go to a rock gig to see/hear.

PS That's what I go to Muse gigs to see/hear.

When I go to a gig, I don't want the band I'm seeing to sound as if they've just put their record on. I can listen to the record at home. I like listening to a band who has the technical skill to try variations and not get all mardy-bum if they cock up in places. However, we have a band frontman here who tries to play a relatively easy (at least it should be for a classically trained pianist) Chopin piece after a song, fluffs it once then never plays it again. Bellamy strikes me as the type to throw his toys out of the pram if things aren't exactly perfect at a gig.

When I go to a gig, I don't want the band I'm seeing to sound as if they've just put their record on. I can listen to the record at home. I like listening to a band who has the technical skill to try variations and not get all mardy-bum if they cock up in places. However, we have a band frontman here who tries to play a relatively easy (at least it should be for a classically trained pianist) Chopin piece after a song, fluffs it once then never plays it again. Bellamy strikes me as the type to throw his toys out of the pram if things aren't exactly perfect at a gig.

Well firstly Matt isn't a classically trained pianist and that is something that he has said he feels inhibits him. I wouldn't describe it as "throwing his toys out of the pram". He hardly did that, just didn't play it again.

I think he does want it to be perfect, and I think there's still a lot of pressure out there, particularly with the massive gigs they do, but I can't see why that isn't easy to accept. If you want to see someone making a balls up and not caring, go and see a new, smaller band who has less to lose.

Muse aren't going to lose fans because of little fuck ups here & then. :LOL:

And smaller bands have much, much more to lose. Muse have the big major label deal and a huge enough fan base to not give a flying fuck. So much ignorance masquerading as "opinion" as always. :noey:

You can put on a show and be more of less pitch perfect. That's what I go to a rock gig to see/hear.

PS That's what I go to Muse gigs to see/hear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFj7aXfuf8I

In fact, every version of this song on Youtube seems to actually be different.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78a9oZR9FU

The guitar sound throughout the Astoria one is just strange -

16 years old from Ohio......You do realize that NME has been pumping Muse constantly since 2004, right? If people are going to be sick of them they would have 3 or 4 years ago. :rolleyes:

Hmm, well since I just got into Muse last year and found out what NME was after that. No. ;)

Muse aren't going to lose fans because of little fuck ups here & then. :LOL:

And smaller bands have much, much more to lose. Muse have the big major label deal and a huge enough fan base to not give a flying fuck. So much ignorance masquerading as "opinion" as always. :noey:

Oh sod off! - re your rude comment!

The reason small bands have less to lose from fuckups is that there are less people to witness them. It is less likely to encourage criticism from the media. Thus it is easier for them to be more free in what they do. Obviously if they were completely terrible no one would go back to see them, but I don't think that is what we are discussing.

The reason small bands have less to lose from fuckups is that there are less people to witness them. It is less likely to encourage criticism from the media. Thus it is easier for them to be more free in what they do. Obviously if they were completely terrible no one would go back to see them, but I don't think that is what we are discussing.

Yes, I'm pretty certain Hendrix is regarded by many as the greatest guitarist of all time because of how technical perfect his singing & playing was at every single gig when playing to crowds of 10's of thousands of people...

Criticism in the media does fuck all to a band of Muse standard. If anything, it makes them bigger. Criticism of a small band playing in a pub? Yeah, take a guess.

Seriously, what do you think they would lose by playing wrong every now and then? They aren't famous for being note by note perfect.

Matt played wrong all the time in the early days, and look where that got them.

Seriously, what do you think they would lose by playing wrong every now and then? They aren't famous for being note by note perfect.

Matt played wrong all the time in the early days, and look where that got them.

Music isn't meant to be completely note perfect or 100% in time, as everything would sound like a MIDI file. It's the flaws that make music human.

And instruments like guitar and of course vocals are capable of hitting notes that don't exist in the chromatic scale, but still sound in tune, the pentatonic scale used in Blues/Rock can't actually be played on a keyboard.

I'd much rather hear someone fuck up putting their heart & soul into what they are doing than tame it down just to get it "right". Any decent frontman knows what is "right" changes every night.

Archived