(Sorry for the stupid title)

Hello there. I was thinking the other day that maybe some parts of our voice tends to «die out» as we grow older. Do you think Matthew is able to reach the peak of his falsetto like he used to*?

I notice that on Micro Cuts, a song they always seem to play at the same pitch, there is the legendary performance, Hullaboloo, and then there is the Wembley 2006 live performance, which I used for comparison. While the latter one is not a bad performance per se, it seems that Matthew sort of lucks through the song by shortening some of his singing, blur some of the vocals, and he does not scream with the same intensity as he did in Hullaboloo (or on the studio version, for that matter). Maybe he had to dial it down in order to hit the notes?

Do you think Matt has to calm down on his voice because he can't reach those high notes or am I simply making mountains out of molehills? I've seen a lot of people claiming his falsetto has «changed», do you think this is the case?

* Ca. 2000-2002

Matt's voice gets older, it's 10 years since he recorded those songs, obviously he will have lost a bit of his top range playing so may concerts. On the other hand his technique has improved a lot, so so far we haven't noticed that much difference other than the deeper voice.

He WILL lose his higher register more and more as he gets older.

I haven't examined it closely, but he still appears to be getting the notes to me. I think less songs use falsetto now but I think his overall vocal performance is stronger.

PS It's inevitable that he will lose some of it unless he wears very tight trousers! lol! But I think his overall vocal is good enough to compensate.

OP - you mean Wembley 07, right? (HAARP). I agree with Sippe - Matt's voice ages with him, so he won't be hitting the same notes as when they first recorded the song. His voice has gotten deeper since then, and although that'll mean his falsetto isn't quite as strong, I still think his vocal skills overall have improved. His singing sounds more powerful somehow, especially live.

OP - you mean Wembley 07, right? (HAARP). I agree with Sippe - Matt's voice ages with him, so he won't be hitting the same notes as when they first recorded the song. His voice has gotten deeper since then, and although that'll mean his falsetto isn't quite as strong, I still think his vocal skills overall have improved. His singing sounds more powerful somehow, especially live.

His voice does sound incredibly powerful on the NSC chorus.

I actually responded to this topic but it got thrown away.

hyper_chondriac_muser: Yes, I meant 2007. ;)

Matt Bellamy's Muse: I agree. But I don't really think he uses his falsetto there, does he?

And I never thought of KoC, that song is incredibly powerful live, even though it has its share of high notes.

I actually responded to this topic but it got thrown away.

hyper_chondriac_muser: Yes, I meant 2007. ;)

Matt Bellamy's Muse: I agree. But I don't really think he uses his falsetto there, does he?

And I never thought of KoC, that song is incredibly powerful live, even though it has its share of high notes.

Nope, no falsetto on NSC. I was just commenting on his voice overall.

Interesting conversation... yea I think sometime or another you'll notice that he can't play certain songs because he can't hit some notes anymore, but I agree with the majority of people here saying that although he may not hit it as high, his voice is stronger than before. Considering KoC is fairly recent, he should be able to hit those, but on Micro Cuts... hmm.... I don't know if he could hit it as well, but at minimum, those notes would take a hell of a lot more effort than they used to. I just hope though that Matt doesn't loose it entirely, because it's quite a signature of the band. I'm sure the band could be great without it, but its still one of the main components that make Muse unique, so as time passes, things could get interesting.

Interesting conversation... yea I think sometime or another you'll notice that he can't play certain songs because he can't hit some notes anymore, but I agree with the majority of people here saying that although he may not hit it as high, his voice is stronger than before. Considering KoC is fairly recent, he should be able to hit those, but on Micro Cuts... hmm.... I don't know if he could hit it as well, but at minimum, those notes would take a hell of a lot more effort than they used to. I just hope though that Matt doesn't loose it entirely, because it's quite a signature of the band. I'm sure the band could be great without it, but its still one of the main components that make Muse unique, so as time passes, things could get interesting.

I used to think that, that it was that part of Matt's voice that made his voice "unique" but I've changed my mind. I think as he's matured and his voice has become richer, that alone provides distinction. When he was very young, I don't think his voice was all that distinctive, and then I think it was the falsetto, together with the style he used that marked him out. Now I think it's more to do with his voice alone.

Indeed. He is like a fine glass of wine. :)

I must admit I sometimes wonder why Micro Cuts seems to be played in the same pitch live as in the studio version. Maybe because it need to be this way to truly kick and scream, which the song is all about?

Starlight is always played one or two steps lower, and I love it that way; Unintended is also typically played lower.

Recent Blss falsetto speaks volumes on behalf of his voice. Even if he's not going to be doing that amazing note before Micro Cuts' outro anytime in the future.

You mean the note that he doesn't hit or even try half of the time? :p

He's a bit like Paul McCartney, Pauls vocals were freakishly different in the 'Band on the run' era than in The Beatles or solo era. Mainly cause he found that sweet spot for his voice. I think Matt hasn't had his vocal moment yet. In showbiz he hit notes that would make bomb sirens sound like a burp. Now his exploring his lower vocal range (Uprising is his lowest to date) so I think when a new album comes out we are going to hear vocals for an amazing level.

My two cents :D

He's a bit like Paul McCartney, Pauls vocals were freakishly different in the 'Band on the run' era than in The Beatles or solo era. Mainly cause he found that sweet spot for his voice. I think Matt hasn't had his vocal moment yet. In showbiz he hit notes that would make bomb sirens sound like a burp. Now his exploring his lower vocal range (Uprising is his lowest to date) so I think when a new album comes out we are going to hear vocals for an amazing level.

My two cents :D

No it isn't.

No it isn't.

You're right, I'm pretty sure it's Spiral Static :p(Which, by the way, I bet would sound even better if he tried to sing it now, since he'd probably be able to hit those low notes a lot easier :chuckle:)

Anyway, I have always said that I really prefer the "new" deeper and more mature-sounding vocals to the old Showbiz/OoS era vocals (not that they weren't good, his voice has just matured so much since then, and it's really improved!).

I definately doubt he'd be able to sing Microcuts anymore, or do any of the Showbiz falsetto/scerams, but over-all, his voice is so much richer sounding and (in my opinion) just beautiful :happy: Plus, he's still able to do the falsetto wonderfully. True, he doesn't hit some of the super-duper high notes anymore, but as someone mentioned, songs like KoC, which feature lots of really high vocals, still sound amazing. :)

Archived