I don't think holding a randomly belted "woo" for less than a second qualifies as going into the books as highest musical note ever hit by his voice.

And yes, if you pitch-shift a guitar sound upward, it sounds kind of like the timbre of a voice. And Kaoss Pads can do whatever you make them do, including pitch-shift.

To end all worries that his voice is going downhill

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAyrPurTh-I

In actuality this is a demonstration of his head-voice (although I may spark another rant through miss-using that term) not his falsetto which is what this threads about.. Oh well!

So yeah, 2 mins 30 in!

I won't rant. I'll just say that that's falsetto :awesome:

Great falsetto actually.

In actuality this is a demonstration of his head-voice (although I may spark another rant through miss-using that term) not his falsetto which is what this threads about.. Oh well!

So yeah, 2 mins 30 in!

I'm pretty (absolutely) sure that that IS falsetto that he's using there...

EDIT: Hadn't seen Sippe's post. ;)

My mistake.

I've 'corrected' my post

:LOL:

There are no real facts pointing out what's falsetto and what's head voice, but I am going by the definition that I have seen most knowledgeable people use, and I know that some people here don't agree with that definition :p

I thought that falsetto was using your throat to expand the note above and beyond the singer's vocal range?

Well, for some. For me it's basically open vocal chords, lots of air, and a part of the head voice. There is no connection to the chest voice, unlike the head voice which is basically an extension of the chest voice, together they are FULL voice. Head voice also closes up parts of the vocal chords, using only a small hole to push air through.

Well, for some. For me it's basically open vocal chords, lots of air, and a part of the head voice. There is no connection to the chest voice, unlike the head voice which is basically an extension of the chest voice, together they are FULL voice. Head voice also closes up parts of the vocal chords, using only a small hole to push air through.

Yeah, I know nothing about it really, I just know how to do it. :LOL:

I don't think holding a randomly belted "woo" for less than a second qualifies as going into the books as highest musical note ever hit by his voice.

Of course it counts. But that's not the point, some people were whinging that he has lost his upper range. As you can see that just isn't true. :p

Of course it counts. But that's not the point, some people were whinging that he has lost his upper range. As you can see that just isn't true. :p

Though, he probably has lost some of it. If he had the technique back then that he has today, he would probably get higher than A#5.

I watched some videos of their 1999 and 2000 performances, and goddamn that man struggles with the singing sometimes. His technique has really improved.

Though, he probably has lost some of it. If he had the technique back then that he has today, he would probably get higher than A#5.

I watched some videos of their 1999 and 2000 performances, and goddamn that man struggles with the singing sometimes. His technique has really improved.

I don't know why people think he has damaged his voice. :erm: There are no audible signs of trauma. He has good breath support, the lack of which is a main cause of vocal damage.

The voice can take an absolute hammering if you have enough breath support. Here's a video of Steven Tyler and his vocal cords.

Notice that he anchors his torso for higher notes, putting his rib cage in a better position to resist the diaphragm's movement. When that isn't enough (falsetto), he raises his arms above his head to provide further resistance. This is actually one of Aerosmith's easier songs to sing, according to Tyler.

You'll notice a similar thing in Bellamy. He usually has both arms up whenever possible, and occasionally he leans back to provide some extra resistance. But overall Muse songs are a lot easier to sing than Aerosmith's.

I don't know why people think he has damaged his voice. :erm: There are no audible signs of trauma. He has good breath support, the lack of which is a main cause of vocal damage.

The voice can take an absolute hammering if you have enough breath support. Here's a video of Steven Tyler and his vocal cords.

Notice that he anchors his torso for higher notes, putting his rib cage in a better position to resist the diaphragm's movement. When that isn't enough (falsetto), he raises his arms above his head to provide further resistance. This is actually one of Aerosmith's easier songs to sing, according to Tyler.

You'll notice a similar thing in Bellamy. He usually has both arms up whenever possible, and occasionally he leans back to provide some extra resistance.

I'm not saying it's damaged. I'm just saying that it's natural to lose a bit of range as one gets older.

+That he obviously has a lot better technique now. He isn't reaching those high notes as easily anymore, but he makes up for it with better technique. Therefore I think that B5 would have been no problem for a younger Matt with the same technique.

[bullshit begins=]In actuality this is a demonstration of his head-voice (although I may spark another rant through miss-using that term) not his falsetto which is what this threads about.. Oh well![/bullshit ends]

So yeah, 2 mins 30 in!

Totally off topic but Dom's drumming at the end of that is absolutely outstanding....back on topic.... Matt sounded great but who am I to say....not a vocal expert

I'm not saying it's damaged. I'm just saying that it's natural to lose a bit of range as one gets older.

Which is why I gave you a video of Steven Tyler, aged either 59 or 60, hitting A5's. He has been singing far more difficult songs than Bellamy for a much longer period of time, he has even had some laser surgery on his vocal cords, but he still has his upper range quite in-tact. You can also see he has no nodules or anything of the sort. :)

There are no studies to prove that aging alone will affect your vocal range (post-adolescence of course). When people's voices change over time, there is usually vocal abuse present, and it generally results from a lack of breath support. This makes sense, because support requires physical strength, which does constantly decline with age.

The vocal cords can lose their elasticity and possibly develop nodules even if you don't sing or shout. All it takes is a chatty person with no breath support and you can see their voice "age" in the span of a few months.

Which is why I gave you a video of Steven Tyler, aged either 59 or 60, hitting A5's. He has been singing far more difficult songs than Bellamy for a much longer period of time, he has even had some laser surgery on his vocal cords, but he still has his upper range quite in-tact. You can also see he has no nodules or anything of the sort. :)

There are no studies to prove that aging alone will affect your vocal range (post-adolescence of course). When people's voices change over time, there is usually vocal abuse present, and it generally results from a lack of breath support. This makes sense, because support requires physical strength, which does constantly decline with age.

The vocal cords can lose their elasticity and possibly develop nodules even if you don't sing or shout. All it takes is a chatty person with no breath support and you can see their voice "age" in the span of a few months.

Fair enough. I'll accept defeat and thank you for the lesson :p

Oh noes, I better back off my chattiness. :ohmy:

I know a good falsetto is more than just high notes, but he hit an B5 in Santiago some weeks ago. His highest note to date

3:35

:LOL:

It was in this thread that I got the video from in the first place.

• 1 month later...

Archived