Top 6 most irritating uses of a high note

JadeLovesMuse

Top 6 most irritating uses of a high note

The moral of this list? Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should do it. Nobody likes a show-off, and nobody enjoys shattered glass and burst eardrums. Here, then, are some proponents of high notes who really should've kept their vocal cords in check.

6. Muse, "Micro Cuts"

If you've ever seen Muse live, you'll know that it's a mind-bending experience. "How the shit are three tiny humans making such an incredible amount of noise?" everyone wonders aloud, for the first half hour. Problem is, once the crowd gets used to it and settles into the show, Matt Bellamy often feels like the band's prowess is being taking for granted. So, in a fit of rage one day (we're guessing), he invented this thing where he warbles really, really high until every piece of glass in the auditorium has broken (which is the sole purpose of "Micro Cuts"). It's both an attention-grabber and an act of revenge. Sort of like the end of Carrie without the fire.

5. Skid Row, "Wasted Time"

Contrary to popular belief, Skid Row was awesome. Sebastian Bach's girlish cheekbones, perfectly tousled hair, and teeny tiny leather vests were a wondrous sight to behold. We also liked it a lot when he would go all bow-legged every time he needed to hit a high note -- like the magic all came from his rubber-clad nether regions. We suspect that the day the band recorded "Wasted Time," though, he'd laced his leggings up too tight, because there's a bit about 5:07 minutes in where he sounds like he's trying to burst out of his pants using the power only of his lungs and man voice. Total shame when the rest of the song is so, um, amazing.

4. U2, "I Can't Help Falling In Love With You"

Dear Bono, you know how everyone hates you? It's not just because of the self-righteous, wraparound sunglasses crap, it's also because of shit like this, where you take a bonafide classic and sing the middle bit like a nine-year-old girl with her hair stuck in machinery. WTF, bro? It's enough to make us forget The Joshua Tree even happened. How much did you pay that girl in the front row to scream "We love you, Bono!" anyway? We'd need at least a million dollars at this point.

3. Bon Jovi, "Runaway"

The reason Bon Jovi's first album wasn't as huge as the others? Because in the band's early days, people had to get past not only the poodle hair, lilac (yes, lilac) spandex pants and the bizarre, near-constant lunging, but also the way Jon used to sporadically squeal like a cat in a washing machine (as he does here, 3:48 in). We're glad someone had the good sense to stop him from doing that by the time Slippery When Wet rolled around, but we think it tragic that the chick with the eyebrows and flared nostrils was also excluded from future videos. Look at her moves and triangular hairdo! What a vixen!

2. Minnie Riperton, "Loving You"

Young Minnie sings most of this like a woman half-stoned off of the act of sweet, sweet lovemaking. Her voice is all exhausted and pleased and writhing around sweetly like she's mid-coitus and just can't believe the joy of it all. Nice. Then, horrifyingly, when you least expect it, she makes a noise like a woman who's about to get knifed in an alleyway. It's most disconcerting. Is that supposed to represent climax or something? Just look at her face when she makes that dog-whistle sound 3:28 minutes in. Terrifying.

1. Mariah Carey, "Emotions"

We can picture the conversation now:

Producer: "Yah, Mimi, this is great. Just great. But you know what this track is missing?"

Mariah: "Range? Is it range? Do you want me to show off my amazing vocal range? Beyond doing that up-down-shakey-shouty thing that Christina Aguilera is about to steal from me and pass off as her own?"

Producer: "Precisely, Mimi, precisely. I want you, at three separate points during this song, to hurt the listener. Actually cause them physical pain. They'll never forget you then, darling. Make the kind of noise that will ring in their ears for weeks at a time. Then, and only then, will you achieve superstardom."

Actual evil in action.

http://blogs.sfweekly.com/shookdown/2011/01/top_6_most_unnecessary_use_of.php

I think that Matt's falsetto voice in this song expresses the emotions of the lyrics appropriately. Even if you don't understand what he's saying you can 'feel' what he's trying to say. His voice is a musical instrument that holds the song together. Matt never does anything musically w/o good reason. He's a very talented, bold, creative and unconventional musician!

Micro Cuts Lyrics:

Hands are red with your blame

Megaphone screaming my name

Whimpers someone I should've loved

Souls weeping above

I've seen what you're doing to me

Destroying puppet strings

To our souls

Micro waves me insane

A blane cuts in your brain

Sounds like forks on a plate

Blackboard scratched with hate

To our souls

I think that Matt's falsetto voice in this song expresses the emotions of the lyrics appropriately. Even if you don't understand what he's saying you can 'feel' what he's trying to say. His voice is a musical instrument that holds the song together. Matt never does anything musically w/o good reason. He's a very talented, bold, creative and unconventional musician!

Micro Cuts Lyrics:

Hands are red with your blame

Megaphone screaming my name

Whimpers someone I should've loved

Souls weeping above

To our souls

Micro waves me insane

A blane cuts in your brain

Sounds like forks on a plate

Blackboard scratched with hate

To our souls

Tell me, what IS he trying to say?

Since when was Chris ever "tiny"? I'll bet that even when he was a newborn, he was big for his age. Talk about selling the bassist short...

Oh, and "Micro Cuts" is literally awesome, even if its word salad lyrics don't parse or make any sense. Melding operatic falsetto with heavy-metal riffing, it's arguably their artiest of art-rock tracks and their Musey-est; scarcely any other band could've (or would've wanted to) record it.

Tell me, what IS he trying to say?

Nothing really I guess. I bet he just wanted to make a song where he can scream and do falsettos as much as he wants and get away with it. Wouldn't suprise me if the written lyrics were added after the song was made. Like: "Hmm.... 'Destroying puppet strings to our souls.' That sounds good! :awesome:"

Reminds me of this vid: :LOL:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A00eeUny8Zg

Still, awesome song.

Nothing really I guess. I bet he just wanted to make a song where he can scream and do falsettos as much as he wants and get away with it. Wouldn't suprise me if the written lyrics were added after the song was made. Like: "Hmm.... 'Destroying puppet strings to our souls.' That sounds good! :awesome:"

Reminds me of this vid: :LOL:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A00eeUny8Zg

Still, awesome song.

According to Muse themselves, the lyrics where about some of Matt's hallucinations. Makes sense to me.

Neutron Star Collision? Oh wait. Money. Thats a goooood reason.
:rolleyes: NSC is great. and cheesy lyrics or not, if there's something that you can say about them is that they were honest.

and microcuts if completely :awesome: too, insane vocals or not LOL

i must have watched the performance in montreux festival in 2002 a million times. (and no glass was broken in my house yet :p:LOL: )

According to Muse themselves, the lyrics where about some of Matt's hallucinations. Makes sense to me.

This from the same three men who said Plug In Baby was "That song’s about putting emotion into something that has no soul - like a child’s teddy bear or a computer. And also what it would be like if we could genetically engineer puppies that never grow old."

So I think they just start to make shit up. Though I always figured Matt for an acid taker.

This from the same three men who said Plug In Baby was "That song’s about putting emotion into something that has no soul - like a child’s teddy bear or a computer. And also what it would be like if we could genetically engineer puppies that never grow old."

So I think they just start to make shit up. Though I always figured Matt for an acid taker.

The explanation for Plug in Baby sounds more like Map of Your Head to me. :erm: I don't know what I"m talking about. :LOL: Or maybe just the 97 demo version of PiB? Either way, fuck knows what PiB is about. It keeps changing, and Matt does talk a lot of shit. On the other hand I recall mentions of Matt hallucinating razor blades cutting into his brain multiple times though I can't be sure, so it seems perfectly plausible as an explanation for Micro Cuts to me.

Anyway, I enjoyed reading this list. :p I like Micro Cuts, though. :chuckle:

:LOL: Hilarious piece of writing! Very SF-style humor, I wouldn't worry about it as a super serious Muse diss. ;)

I have always loved Micro cuts but you have to admit, the singing does get a bit intense. It's certainly not the sort of song that would be everyone's cup of tea.

This wasn't stuff said in an interview. It was from the book "Muse: Out of this world"

Archived