Ticket prices are a huge thing too., of course.

The last arena tour (2009) I paid £45 for my ticket after fees. Before that, I had seen Muse at Earls Court for £25 (2004), Eden for £33 (2006), Wembley Stadium for £40 (2007), Teignmouth for £40 (2009) and RAH for £45 (2008). All totally unique and yet cheaper or at least equitable with a bog standard tour gig.

If it's priced the same this time for tour shows, I ain't going. Simple as.

Ticket prices are a huge thing too., of course.

The last arena tour (2009) I paid £45 for my ticket after fees. Before that, I had seen Muse at Earls Court for £25 (2004), Eden for £33 (2006), Wembley Stadium for £40 (2007), Teignmouth for £40 (2009) and RAH for £45 (2008). All totally unique and yet cheaper or at least equitable with a bog standard tour gig.

If it's priced the same this time for tour shows, I ain't going. Simple as.

That's not that unusual for a band their size though. I'm hoping a stripped down show will lead to a reduced ticket price, but I doubt it.

I'm guessing that they won't get any more expensive over here. It was $130 last time, and even Coldplay (who are obviously more popular than Muse) are in the $120-140 price range when they tour here (IIRC). Radiohead are also somewhere around there. I can't speak for England though.

That's not that unusual for a band their size though. I'm hoping a stripped down show will lead to a reduced ticket price, but I doubt it.

Perhaps not, but it's inflated massively over the last few years to the point where it is pricing a lot of people out of going all together.

It's all well and good putting on massive shows so lots of people can go but at nearly £50 a pop, they begin to look increasingly like massive cash cows.

I wouldnt blame the band for the prices though. They just want to put on as big a show as possible, true if it's matt's crazy ideas that are costing all the money then what does he expect - ticket prices have to go up

There's not really a way around it

Yeah, but look at acts like Gaga and Rihanna. They haven't been around as long as Muse and are already charging £70 a ticket for gigs, makes Muse gig prices seem almost reasonable :unsure:

To be fair, Gaga is doing 23 songs this tour with 3 albums. Muse have 5 albums and dipped down to 15-16 songs for arena gigs. And her production is way more over the top than anything Muse have ever done.

In other words: Gaga > Muse.

To be fair, Gaga is doing 23 songs this tour with 3 albums. Muse have 5 albums and dipped down to 15-16 songs for arena gigs. And her production is way more over the top than anything Muse have ever done.

I like Gaga but her stuff is basically throwaway pop, decorated with wacky wigs and false eyelashes.

Quality > quantity, thus Muse > Gaga :p

I always find myself going ???? at people who complain about Muse ticket prices. Certainly there have been the occasional odd situation - like in Ukraine a couple of years ago and IIRC, it was acknowledged by the management and more tickets were put on sale at a lower price after the complaints. (ironically enough, when ukrainian fans first raised the issue on this board, they were treated like idiots by some of the very posters who had whined about the prices in the UK a few months before)

But in general, how are their prices unreasonable/outrageous in their business? Do they charge twice what Coldplay do, is that it? Or it's just that you'd want to pay in 2011 the same you had paid in 2004? (nevermind inflation and the fact that the band has been getting bigger?)

Muse have had room to charge more in Europe if they wanted (certainly where I live) and still have sold out venues. Yet, I find them at the same price (and many times cheaper) than other acts playing the same venues. And that's without taking in account the fact that yes, lately they've been fond of big toys on stage and yes, those cost money. And that they'd have to be completely stupid to plan a tour that wouldn't give them profit.

Plus, I'd rather pay 35€/40€ to watch Muse once than pay 6€ every weekend for a month to go to the cinema. If others disagree, well, that's why we are all free to manage our finances the way we prefer :p

I like Gaga but her stuff is basically throwaway pop, decorated with wacky wigs and false eyelashes.
Christ, I like Lady Gaga (have liked since Poker face was released) and i woudn't pay to attend one of her shows. It's not just that they're expensive as fuck - i watched one of her shows on TV awhile back and it bored me to tears. So not my kind of thing.

I was actually glad i missed out on buying tickets to a gig of hers only a few days before :LOL:

Edited by mjartrod

Quality > quantity, thus Muse > Gaga :p

Uprising, Starlight, Resistance, Undisclosed Desires etc. come to mind. With glittery suits, a glittery UFO, costume changes and streamer cannons.

:happy:

Uprising, Starlight, Resistance, Undisclosed Desires etc. come to mind. With glittery suits, a glittery UFO, costume changes and streamer cannons.

:happy:

Oh yeah, but they're just the fillers between the good stuff :phu: Stockholm, Hysteria, Darkshines (OK that was only Leeds and Reading :( ) Butterflies and Hurricanes, Plug in Baby, New Born......

Can't complain about a glittery suit :p

Isn't that exactly what Muse tried to do this tour because they for some reason thought that the music wouldn't be enough?

Christ, I like Lady Gaga (have liked since Poker face was released) and i woudn't pay to attend one of her shows. It's not just that they're expensive as fuck - i watched one of her shows on TV awhile back and it bored me to tears. So not my kind of thing.

I was actually glad i missed out on buying tickets to a gig of hers only a few days before :LOL:

I'd consider seeing Gaga at half the price, but I'm not feeling enough love to pay £70 :noey:

Oh yeah, but they're just the fillers between the good stuff :phu: Stockholm, Hysteria, Darkshines (OK that was only Leeds and Reading :( ) Butterflies and Hurricanes, Plug in Baby, New Born......

Can't complain about a glittery suit :p

Guiding Light, TIRO (arguably), Unintended...

Gaga is consistently good, whereas Muse can either be awesome or complete shit. There's no middle ground with them. Either you get lucky or you get robbed. :happy:

Isn't that exactly what Muse tried to do this tour because they for some reason thought that the music wouldn't be enough?

Exactly.

What? Write throwaway pop and wear wigs and false eyelashes? :wtf:

Oh, sorry, I actually thought you had a point to the post, like that the decorations are there to keep people entertained or just to give them something to look at.

Guiding Light, TIRO (arguably), Unintended...

Gaga is consistently good, whereas Muse can either be awesome or complete shit. There's no middle ground with them. Either you get lucky or you get robbed. :happy:

Exactly.

No

and

No.

Oh, sorry, I actually thought you had a point to the post, like that the decorations are there to keep people entertained or just to give them something to look at.

I'm saying, basically, the music and 'show' that Gaga presents isn't worth £70 to me.

To me, Muse make songs that are a whole different standard and quality to hers and that's what makes me keep paying £40, £50 for their concert tickets and puts into perspective what I'd be prepared to pay for other, lower quality artists, imo.

I'm saying, basically, the music and 'show' that Gaga presents isn't worth £70 to me.

To me, Muse make songs that are a whole different standard and quality to hers and that's what makes me keep paying £40, £50 for their concert tickets and puts into perspective what I'd be prepared to pay for other, lower quality artists, imo.

But it's not the quality of the music that sets the price, so it's not really a fair way to judge.

What Dee said was stuff that can actually be compared. Gaga does play a lot longer sets(despite having less albums) and her production is a lot bigger. These are things that DO affect the ticket prices.

And throwaway pop, decorated with wacky wigs and false eyelashes IS what Muse did the previous tour, yes.

Only they used tacky, glittery suits, fake UFOs and lots of shiny lights.

Just did some quick selist comparisons for her, doesn't appear to be much rotation :p

But it's not the quality of the music that sets the price, so it's not really a fair way to judge.

What Dee said was stuff that can actually be compared. Gaga does play a lot longer sets(despite having less albums) and her production is a lot bigger. These are things that DO affect the ticket prices.

And throwaway pop, decorated with wacky wigs and false eyelashes IS what Muse did the previous tour, yes.

Only they used tacky, glittery suits, fake UFOs and lots of shiny lights.

So if 'The Saturdays' play 23 songs and have nice costumes and lighting they should demand £70 a ticket? Quality does matter.

Just did some quick selist comparisons for her, doesn't appear to be much rotation :p

:chuckle:

So if 'The Saturdays' play 23 songs and have nice costumes and lighting they should demand £70 a ticket? Quality does matter.

No, demand and venue matters. Quality has nothing to do with it.

That YOU might not pay £70 to see them is irrelevant if the demand is there. It's silly to even think that quality of music can be judged objectively.

No, demand and venue matters. Quality has nothing to do with it.

That YOU might not pay £70 to see them is irrelevant if the demand is there. It's silly to even think that quality of music can be judged objectively.

Yes, demand does matter. If enough hype is created about anything then average musicians/clothes/jewellry ...whatever can sell at over-inflated prices.

I don't think the popularity of Muse is down to hype so much as genuinely good music though, which explains why I'm prepared to keep buying tickets to see them when I don't feel the need to buy tickets to see other acts that I like listening to but don't think are worth £70 a ticket.