It's not like every American hasn't already heard Uprising. I doubt repeating a single over and over is the right way to gain fans :p

Actually, I disagree. Shitloads of Americans haven't heard Uprising. America's fucking huge, and millions of millions will be tuning in to see the awards, what with the Grammy's being a hugely reputable music awards ceremony and quite la-di-da (lol)... I guarantee more than half the viewers will barely have even heard of Muse and don't know their Uprisings from their Undisclosed Desires. That's another couple of million people to get listening to their stuff, and I don't doubt that they'd be keen to just plug their most recent or currently 'best known' stuff out there, which is The Resistance material... and, notably, the first three songs on it.

I don't think that's the right choice, just the obvious one to their American label or whoever it is that has a say in what they'll play. And judging by their sets Stateside, they don't want to put a foot wrong with their newfound American fanbase. Not saying that in a disparaging way, just that it seems they're willing to pander a little more these days, when the Muse of old would have said 'fuck you, we'll play Micro Cuts' (or something, haha!)

Anyways, I'm not gonna diss them over something that no one knowns the outcome of yet, lol, so we'll wait and see, but my money's on either Resistance (which makes sense as that's their most nominated song) or Uprising. Mayyyyyyybe even USoE, but that would be a stretch, imo. I'd be pleasantly surprised if it was that or anything else (apart from Guiding Light, lol!).

Actually, I disagree. Shitloads of Americans haven't heard Uprising. America's fucking huge, and millions of millions will be tuning in to see the awards, what with the Grammy's being a hugely reputable music awards ceremony and quite la-di-da (lol)... I guarantee more than half the viewers will barely have even heard of Muse and don't know their Uprisings from their Undisclosed Desires. That's another couple of million people to get listening to their stuff, and I don't doubt that they'd be keen to just plug their most recent or currently 'best known' stuff out there, which is The Resistance material... and, notably, the first three songs on it.

I don't think that's the right choice, just the obvious one to their American label or whoever it is that has a say in what they'll play. And judging by their sets Stateside, they don't want to put a foot wrong with their newfound American fanbase. Not saying that in a disparaging way, just that it seems they're willing to pander a little more these days, when the Muse of old would have said 'fuck you, we'll play Micro Cuts' (or something, haha!)

Anyways, I'm not gonna diss them over something that no one knowns the outcome of yet, lol, so we'll wait and see, but my money's on either Resistance (which makes sense as that's their most nominated song) or Uprising. Mayyyyyyybe even USoE, but that would be a stretch, imo. I'd be pleasantly surprised if it was that or anything else (apart from Guiding Light, lol!).

Ah well, I can't say I have any real statistics over how many people in the US have heard Uprising, so I'm not gonna start an argument over it :p

"when the Muse of old would have said 'fuck you, we'll play Micro Cuts' (or something, haha!)", I'm not sure sure about that though. Muse have always played the singles, even though their singles were a lot less easy listening at the time. And everything they have done has been to increase their popularity.

You don't lose fans by dicking around on stage, giving the camera the finger. You get publicity, and for a rock band, that is a part of the basic marketing. Everyone loves a rock star.

Agree completely with hyper_chondriac_muser, but...

"when the Muse of old would have said 'fuck you, we'll play Micro Cuts' (or something, haha!)", I'm not sure sure about that though. Muse have always played the singles, even though their singles were a lot less easy listening at the time. And everything they have done has been to increase their popularity.

You are right here.

Not saying that in a disparaging way, just that it seems they're willing to pander a little more these days, when the Muse of old would have said 'fuck you, we'll play Micro Cuts' (or something, haha!)

Really? So did Muse of old ever play Micro Cuts or something similar at an awards show?

Ah well, I can't say I have any real statistics over how many people in the US have heard Uprising, so I'm not gonna start an argument over it :p

You don't lose fans by dicking around on stage, giving the camera the finger. You get publicity, and for a rock band, that is a part of the basic marketing. Everyone loves a rock star.

Fair points, especially about the singles. And yeah, the whole rock star image is the point of appeal, especially marketing a band to suit certain audiences (America seems to be a mass audience whenever a UK artist tries to 'break in' over there).

Really? So did Muse of old ever play Micro Cuts or something similar at an awards show?

No, that's not what I meant, just using it as a theoretical example that, back in the day, it felt like they did more of what they wanted to do, or at least in their own way e.g. piss take performances were their way of saying 'fuck you' - not to 'dick around' and alienate potential fans, but because they didn't seem as bothered by adding to the tally of new fans. Or, if they did, it wasn't as obvious as now. But, to be fair, it could well have been the fact that their earlier songs had less 'mass' appeal than they do now, so it felt like they were doing something different.

And yep, I'm certainly guilty of idealising the Muse of old, but that's cos I feel they were more carefree and I simply prefer their older material. ;)

I'm hoping to stakeout the Staples Center on Sunday with some knitted gifts. Any suggestions are welcome

Possibility for Dom:

tarzan_image.jpg

And for Chris:

incognitoBUCKAROO.jpg

Those are brilliant, you're so talented! Are you gonna knit Matt some socks, he seems to have a thing for them :D

I hope we get to see Twitter pics of Dom and Chris wearing these soon!

Those are brilliant, you're so talented! Are you gonna knit Matt some socks, he seems to have a thing for them :D

I hope we get to see Twitter pics of Dom and Chris wearing these soon!

(I'm pretty sure the pics are from google)

Yeah, those are from the internet. I'm hoping to start Chris' today. I'm thinking of making Dom a faff bag with the spotted print. I've been trying to find one-size-fits-all sock patterns for Matt. I haven't found any sparkly sock yarn either.

It doesn't have to be sparkly I don't think, just colourful! :happy:

For those wanting to see only what's necessary, this promo says Muse is performing in the first hour.

http://ryanseacrest.com/2011/02/09/exclusive-first-look-at-new-2011-grammys-promo-video/

uh oh.... both muse and gaga are listed for the first hour :shifty: of course, so are a truckload of other people :LOL:

Maybe Muse will collaborate with Jennifer Kate Hudson for a duet of Feeling Good :p

(yes that's actually her middle name ;))

Latest Performers update:

Eminem* (Medley)

Dr. Dre

Adam Levine

Lady GaGa ("Born This Way")

Arcade Fire

Lady Antebellum

Katy Perry (Medley)

Christina Aguilera (Aretha Franklin tribute)

Jennifer Hudson*

Martina McBride

Yolanda Adams

Florence Welch

Barbra Streisand*

Bob Dylan*

Mumford & Sons

Avett Brothers

Mick Jagger (Solomon Burke tribute)

Raphael Saadiq

Muse

Miranda Lambert

Cee Lo Green

Gwyneth Paltrow*

Jim Henson Company Puppets

Bruno Mars

B.o.B

Janelle Monae

Drake

Rihanna

Usher

Justin Bieber

Jaden Smith

Esperanza Spalding

GRAMMY Jazz Ensembles

Presenters:

Jamie Foxx*

John Mayer

Jennifer Lopez

Marc Anthony

Keith Urban

Jewel

Kris Kristofferson

John Legend

Paramore

LL Cool J

Ricky Martin

will.i.am

Selena Gomez

Nicki Minaj

Norah Jones

Dierks Bentley

Blake Shelton

Zac Brown

Neil Patrick Harris

Matthew Morrison

Eva Longoria

Seth Rogen

Jason Segel

Miley Cyrus

Donnie Wahlberg

Ryan Seacrest

Clay Matthews

Paulie Perrette

*Academy Award (Oscar) winners

uh oh.... both muse and gaga are listed for the first hour :shifty: of course, so are a truckload of other people :LOL:

Maybe Muse will collaborate with Jennifer Kate Hudson for a duet of Feeling Good :p

(yes that's actually her middle name ;))

Muse collaborating with Katy Perry (née Kathryn Hudson) or Slash (Saul Hudson) are also possibilities. LOL

Archived