The definitive "What order should my FX pedals be placed in?" thread

zeuzman

I assume he's using amp distortion, and his overdrive is only providing a little grit. I like OD>Modulation>distortion, but each to their own!

I didn't realise Echo meant reverb. I assumed it would be a short analogue delay.

you assume wrong.. i use a clean amp sound

:rolleyes: constructive...

Tom, do you always use that setup?! I'd always put distortion infront of modulation. This is overdrive, but still...I'd go:

(compressor)

Wah

Overdrive

Chorus

Flange

Delay

Echo

(compressor)

And reverb is traditionally after delay ;)

Basically, the compressor can go at the front, or end, or in the middle...If you know how to use one, then you can kinda work out where it's best needed. It's not needed after the wah because the overdrive will compress the sound anyway ;)

That'll probably improve your sound, but the best way to get "your tone" is to start with one effect (I'd say either overdrive or delay) and then gradually add each one in, trying it before and after the first one...I know it takes time, but you'll find the best sound by doing that :D

Oh, if you're looking to spend any money, the Edge uses an analogue delay, which sounds completely different from digital stuff (though you can get Edge sounds with a digital pedal). He uses the Electro Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man, which most will agree, is the best non-boutique analogue delay around :) I can personally recommend it, and most high feedback settings nail the edge's sound :D

Hope that helps!

where should the tuner go?? it has a mute

Red's laughing 'cos you want to sound like the Edge, because no-one wants to sound gay.

If you use a clean amp sound, put your overdrive at the end. I would put your tuner right before your amp if it has a mute switch.

JJ - A compressor doesn't have to go at the start of the chain. If you understand what a compressor does, you'll know that it will have a different effect, wherever it is in the chain.

Red's laughing 'cos you want to sound like the Edge, because no-one wants to sound gay.

If you use a clean amp sound, put your overdrive at the end. I would put your tuner right before your amp if it has a mute switch.

JJ - A compressor doesn't have to go at the start of the chain. If you understand what a compressor does, you'll know that it will have a different effect, wherever it is in the chain.

i have one as well :p just been playing around with it and wowie it's pretty clever stuff. i have it at the end of my chain :)

Guest bshuker
sound gay???? wow you obviously have NO taste in music... U2 is a brilliant band, and the edge is an amazing guitarist

hahahahahahahahahaha thats classic....ahaahahahahahahahhahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

so suppose i throw a volume pedal in the mix... would it go before everything???

i think i can answer this one.

if at the start it will raise the amount of drive if the distortion/overdrive is on

at the end, it will just raise the volume :)

^ that's why they have to be in a certain order :p

If you just think about what each effect is doing to your signal (clipping, phase shifting, filtering etc) then you can see why say distortion shouldn't be put after delay, or why to get real phaser sounds, it needs to go before overdrive :)

^ that's why they have to be in a certain order :p

If you just think about what each effect is doing to your signal (clipping, phase shifting, filtering etc) then you can see why say distortion shouldn't be put after delay, or why to get real phaser sounds, it needs to go before overdrive :)

every mod effect except tremolo should really be before overdrive, the whole point of them is to emulate a leslie speaker afterall!

distortion can sound amazing after delay, not necessaily useful, but the crashing of notes and all that.

it just depends on whether you want an effect to sound high or low fi, then either shove it after for high and before for low :)

• 3 weeks later...

could i grab a hand with mine?

at the moment its:

Guitar -> Tuner-> Boss OD-3 (Overdrive)-> Big Muff-> Boss DS-2 (Distortion)-> Boss CE-2 (Chorus)-> Danelectro Pepperami (Phaser)-> Boss DD-6 (Delay)-> Boss RC-20 (Loop)-> Electro Harmonix Poly Chorus-> Whammy-> Amp

I've got an FX loop on my amp aswell

thanks

could i grab a hand with mine?

at the moment its:

Guitar -> Tuner-> Boss OD-3 (Overdrive)-> Big Muff-> Boss DS-2 (Distortion)-> Boss CE-2 (Chorus)-> Danelectro Pepperami (Phaser)-> Boss DD-6 (Delay)-> Boss RC-20 (Loop)-> Electro Harmonix Poly Chorus-> Whammy-> Amp

I've got an FX loop on my amp aswell

thanks

whammy should go at the start of your chain. well, tuner first unless your gonna go dry out>>tuner

the chorus should go before the delays everything else seems ok i guess but i'm no expert.

Archived