The definitive "What order should my FX pedals be placed in?" thread

zeuzman

1. Jay thought wah was short for whammy. Is it and IS there a difference?

I remember not long after I started playing guitar, when I started to discover teh effects pedalz, I would get those two mixed up :LOL: Well they both have the letters w, a and h :$

I remember haze told me off in main muse because I tried to tell people matt had an inbuilt whammy in his guitar, when it was the wah probe. This was back in 2003/2004 I think.

God knows why I still remember that. Probably because I felt a right cretin :LOL:

[/life story]

I remember not long after I started playing guitar, when I started to discover teh effects pedalz, I would get those two mixed up :LOL: Well they both have the letters w, a and h :$

I remember haze told me off in main muse because I tried to tell people matt had an inbuilt whammy in his guitar, when it was the wah probe. This was back in 2003/2004 I think.

God knows why I still remember that. Probably because I felt a right cretin :LOL:

[/life story]

lol and yeh stock i have

why was musemaniacs thread merged? It was good enough to have it's own thread :(

Dear God, you've got a life, live it!

1. No ffs how does wah become whammy? Move the H?

2. No i have no reason to, because thus far i have had little contact with him

3. No infact i just bought myself a Fender Usa tele, with my hard earned paper-round money!

4. No

5. I dont plan on getting banned

6. No

7. No, tell that to my vans, converse and skinnys

8. No I infact decided to observe his comment under his name.

9. No, but this Jay fellow sounds like he is

10. No

You didn't have to really take that test, muppet. ;)

[/life story]

Well that's because you had just started I guess.

And god knows how I remembered the 'highlights' of jay's n00b-ness on this board :stunned: I sometimes look at his old threads and posts for a laugh....oh the memories...

why was musemaniacs thread merged? It was good enough to have it's own thread :(

You didn't have to really take that test, muppet. ;)

Well that's because you had just started I guess.

And god knows how I remembered the 'highlights' of jay's n00b-ness on this board :stunned: I sometimes look at his old threads and posts for a laugh....oh the memories...

I know i was quite depressed about this merge, lol, tbh, its just spammed up another thread....And yes i wanted to take the test because i found it highly amusing lol!

I know i was quite depressed about this merge, lol, tbh, its just spammed up another thread....And yes i wanted to take the test because i found it highly amusing lol!

It hasn't spammed up another thread because this thread is, oddly enough, the definitive pedal order thread, where your request should have originally gone. :)

Anyone with some bass knowism:

- Akai Deep Impact

- Boss OC-3

- MXR Bass Blow Torch

- EHX Nano Bass Balls

- Digitech Bass Synth Wah

- A yet unknown/unbought sustainer

Pleeeeeze.

Anyone bassy?

The order from top to bottom is what I use at the moment, but I really have no idea when it comes to all this stuff.

• 3 months later...

Oh, not again..

Well, I'm sort of getting the hang of putting my effects in the right order...but, what ones go in the amp's effects loop?

right,

korg dt 10 tuner

digitech whammy

dunlop 535Q wah

maestro parametric filter (used for filter sweeps only)

ehx dmm delay

ehx big muff

boss EQ pedal (currently disconnected, since I can't seem to get it to work as a boost in my amps FX loop)

EB volume pedal....

is the order something like that, and all go in front I'm guessing?

tuner never goes in the fx loop

whammy COULD go in the fx loop, but no way am I going to....too much tone loss

wah would sound a bit strange in the fx loop

parametric filter? not sure

delay goes into the fx loop...i think

big muff is hooked up to the orange only, which doesn't have one...sort of

the boss eq I'm still trying to figure out

the volume pedal i doubt, since i just use it to...well, lower the volume

thanks

Oh, not again..

Well, I'm sort of getting the hang of putting my effects in the right order...but, what ones go in the amp's effects loop?

right,

korg dt 10 tuner

digitech whammy

dunlop 535Q wah

ehx dmm delay

ehx big muff

boss EQ pedal (currently disconnected, since I can't seem to get it to work as a boost in my amps FX loop)

EB volume pedal....

is the order something like that, and all go in front I'm guessing?

tuner never goes in the fx loop

whammy COULD go in the fx loop, but no way am I going to....too much tone loss

wah would sound a bit strange in the fx loop

parametric filter? not sure

delay goes into the fx loop...i think

big muff is hooked up to the orange only, which doesn't have one...sort of

the boss eq I'm still trying to figure out

the volume pedal i doubt, since i just use it to...well, lower the volume

thanks

Depends on the amp/how you use it and what you're using stuff for.... :p

Are you using preamp/poweramp/pedal dirt?

Do you like your dirt filtered or your filtering dirtied?

Are you controlling gain or volume with your vol. pedal?

lets see...

I'm using my marshall's channels for distortion, but I use the big muff with the orange only, which is non-mv.

filtering...erm, well...wouldn't it work in the same sense as a wah pedal since it just boosts and cuts? I guess it would go before the distortion/amp then.

and yeah, I control gain with the volume pedal actually...just as long as I can still lower the volume all the way with it.

also, I have a series/parallel FX loop mode switch on my amp if that matters.

oh, and an a/b box goes at the end of everything so i can switch between amps.

James, you could put your delay in the loop if you like, but i'd just have everything before the amp. If you want to drive the amp wih the EQ, it obviously has to go before the amp, not in the loop.

I would have:

A->

korg dt 10 tuner

digitech whammy

EB volume pedal

dunlop 535Q wah

boss EQ pedal

ehx dmm delay ->Amp

B->

ehx big muff->other amp

But like I say, try the delay in the loop, it may sound better, everything else would need to go before distortion, so, before your amp.

• 2 weeks later...

forgot to reply to this

thanks tom, as for driving the amp with the eq..i haven't found it to be that effective going in front of the amp

for example

click

that is a showbiz era live recording. matt had a dod eq pedal on his board, and i'm fairly sure that's what's causing the huge mid boost a little before half way through the recording...i only got a sound relatively close by having a distortion pedal in front of the eq pedal.

If you turn the output of the EQ pedal all the way up, and then use the other faders to adhust your tone, or just turn them all the way up, it should be a pretty loud boost! If your amps low gain, or takes a lot to break up, then I guess that's why you want a distortion pedal too.

I've been playing guitar for quite some time, but I'm pretty new to effects, wondering if I could get some input on what order my pedals should be setup.. please indicate where should the guitar be, and where should the amp be in your suggestion.

heres my setup:

Korg DT 10 Tuner

MXR Super Comp

Digitech Overdrive

Digitech Digital Delay

FAB flanger (made my danelectro)

FAB Echo

FAB Chorus

Behringer Hell Babe (wah)

Behringer Instrument/Amp Selector (I run 2 guitars)

I have them all on a board right now, but not really in any kind of order than they should be in, I made my own pedalboards and am planning on reconfiguring mine this month so I can get a better sound... if it helps at all, i play music that is very U2ish in sound and am looking to get a guitar sound that sounds something like the Edge's.

Any input is appreciated.

I've been playing guitar for quite some time, but I'm pretty new to effects, wondering if I could get some input on what order my pedals should be setup.. please indicate where should the guitar be, and where should the amp be in your suggestion.

heres my setup:

Korg DT 10 Tuner

MXR Super Comp

Digitech Overdrive

Digitech Digital Delay

FAB flanger (made my danelectro)

FAB Echo

FAB Chorus

Behringer Hell Babe (wah)

Behringer Instrument/Amp Selector (I run 2 guitars)

I have them all on a board right now, but not really in any kind of order than they should be in, I made my own pedalboards and am planning on reconfiguring mine this month so I can get a better sound... if it helps at all, i play music that is very U2ish in sound and am looking to get a guitar sound that sounds something like the Edge's.

Any input is appreciated.

hahahahaha

:rolleyes: constructive...

Tom, do you always use that setup?! I'd always put distortion infront of modulation. This is overdrive, but still...I'd go:

(compressor)

Wah

Overdrive

Chorus

Flange

Delay

Echo

(compressor)

And reverb is traditionally after delay ;)

Basically, the compressor can go at the front, or end, or in the middle...If you know how to use one, then you can kinda work out where it's best needed. It's not needed after the wah because the overdrive will compress the sound anyway ;)

That'll probably improve your sound, but the best way to get "your tone" is to start with one effect (I'd say either overdrive or delay) and then gradually add each one in, trying it before and after the first one...I know it takes time, but you'll find the best sound by doing that :D

Oh, if you're looking to spend any money, the Edge uses an analogue delay, which sounds completely different from digital stuff (though you can get Edge sounds with a digital pedal). He uses the Electro Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man, which most will agree, is the best non-boutique analogue delay around :) I can personally recommend it, and most high feedback settings nail the edge's sound :D

Hope that helps!

Archived