I don't mind them changing things up, as long as the result is a good song.... which, IMO, this simply isn't.

You shoudn't assume that just because people don't like something it means that they think a) the band should repeat something from the past or b) they somehow think the band shouldn't do it.

My opinion is this: The band should do whatever comes naturally to them, and go wherever their "hearts" take them... but if I don't like that direction, the fact that I have enjoyed their music in the past and consider myself a fan doesn't mean I have to follow them in that direction and force myself to enjoy or make excuses for something that I really don't enjoy.

At the end of the day, music is something to enjoy. The band should make the music they enjoy making and I should listen to the music I enjoy hearing. If those two things don't coincide, then so be it...

The fact is, thus far, I find nothing enjoyable about listening to this song. So I'll set it aside and listen to songs I enjoy.

Agree. I can take cheese in small doses, and chalk it up to them playing around. But I honestly honestly hope this is just a blip. Because I find myself laughing as I listen to the song.

I mean, come on:

The world is broken

Halos fail to glisten

You try to make a difference

But no one wants to listen

Hail, The preachers, fake and proud

Their doctrines will be clouds

Then they'll dissipate

Like snowflakes in an ocean

** taken from musewiki.org

I all of a sudden find myself wanting to listen to Hullabaloo after listening to NSC 32 times back to back.

Good song, but now it's time for some Hullabaloo :D

haha :LOL::LOL: i slipped in Showbiz and was it felt so new again after NSC.... even though i love nsc

I actually just tried to figure this out earlier. It was a relaxing listen. :happy:

You can listen here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piano_Concerto_No._2_%28Rachmaninoff%29 Starting at around 4:28 it sounds the same to me. Scroll down near the bottom; it's the 2nd music sample.

I'm still not hearing any real similarity, let alone a cribbing. To my ear, not even the key sig is entirely the same; Rach's 2nd movement is in C; Matt's piano outro is, if I'm correct about this, in alternating bars of C and er, a bent version of C (augmented? diminished 7th? something -- not Cm, though).

That's not to say it isn't a classical sampling, even a Rachmaninoff sampling. I'm just not hearing it in the 2nd movement of the 2nd Piano Concerto.

To everyone miserable about the upcoming video's using clips from the movie, the video for "Coma" (for the movie Stay Alive) was 100% movie clips, and I think Muse (and their fans) survived that one just fine. According to IMDB.com, Muse's first five song placements in the movies were in these cinematic masterpieces, as follows:

Little Nicky (2000) -- "Cave"

Swordfish (2001) -- "New Born" (Paul Oakenfold mix)

Not Another Teen Movie (2001) -- cover of The Smiths' "Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want" [!!!]

Haute Tension (2003) -- "New Born" (and a big chunk of it, too!)

Millions (2004) -- "Hysteria" and "Blackout"

Do any of you consider those songs tainted by association with these movies? Or even remember their use in these flicks, let alone whether they were used in the trailers, commercials, etc.? Does anybody even give a crap about any of these movies anymore? No? Exactly my point. I'll grant that the Twilight series is a big deal, a far bigger deal than all the films listed above (with the possible exception of Swordfish, which starred John Travolta and Halle Berry, had a big budget and some great action set pieces, was well promoted, and benefitted from its post-9-11 context of Getting Even With The Terrorists, but I digress). I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that nine years from now, the new Twilight flick will be as thoroughly forgotten then as even Swordfish is now.

The music is what matters to the music fans; the movies matter more to their fans and to Hollywood insiders. And just as the presence of some great musical artists on the soundtrack can't turn a stinker into a great movie, a crummy movie placement can't ruin a good song. The film clips might well "ruin" the video for some of Muse's fans... (personally, if there's a video that has a decent proportion of Muse footage, I'll be pleased with that, and not care much if there's some film clips in there, because I largely ignore Muse's official videos anyway. I don't think I've even seen all of them yet!) but Musers will be more interested in downloading live clips of this song than any official videos, anyway... and music networks don't really air music videos much anymore, do they?

I'm still not hearing any real similarity, let alone a cribbing. To my ear, not even the key sig is entirely the same; Rach's 2nd movement is in C; Matt's piano outro is, if I'm correct about this, in alternating bars of C and er, a bent version of C (augmented? diminished 7th? something -- not Cm, though).

That's not to say it isn't a classical sampling, even a Rachmaninoff sampling. I'm just not hearing it in the 2nd movement of the 2nd Piano Concerto.

It sounds familiar though. Kinda reminds of the intro of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfnkq4pQ2vE

To everyone miserable about the upcoming video's using clips from the movie, the video for "Coma" (for the movie Stay Alive) was 100% movie clips, and I think Muse (and their fans) survived that one just fine. According to IMDB.com, Muse's first five song placements in the movies were in these cinematic masterpieces, as follows:

Little Nicky (2000) -- "Cave"

Swordfish (2001) -- "New Born" (Paul Oakenfold mix)

Not Another Teen Movie (2001) -- cover of The Smiths' "Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want" [!!!]

Haute Tension (2003) -- "New Born" (and a big chunk of it, too!)

Millions (2004) -- "Hysteria" and "Blackout"

Do any of you consider those songs tainted by association with these movies? Or even remember their use in these flicks, let alone whether they were used in the trailers, commercials, etc.? Does anybody even give a crap about any of these movies anymore? No? Exactly my point. I'll grant that the Twilight series is a big deal, a far bigger deal than all the films listed above (with the possible exception of Swordfish, which starred John Travolta and Halle Berry, had a big budget and some great action set pieces, was well promoted, and benefitted from its post-9-11 context of Getting Even With The Terrorists, but I digress). I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that nine years from now, the new Twilight flick will be as thoroughly forgotten then as even Swordfish is now.

The music is what matters to the music fans; the movies matter more to their fans and to Hollywood insiders. And just as the presence of some great musical artists on the soundtrack can't turn a stinker into a great movie, a crummy movie placement can't ruin a good song. The film clips might well "ruin" the video for some of Muse's fans... (personally, if there's a video that has a decent proportion of Muse footage, I'll be pleased with that, and not care much if there's some film clips in there, because I largely ignore Muse's official videos anyway. I don't think I've even seen all of them yet!) but Musers will be more interested in downloading live clips of this song than any official videos, anyway... and music networks don't really air music videos much anymore, do they?

Difference is, those songs are good. :rolleyes:

Difference is, those songs are good. :rolleyes:

:supersad:

I've formed a solid, general opinion on this song: It's like Starlight. Both are catchy, both are nice. Both were/are going to be popular on ze radio. I'll still like them through all that.

Isn't my favorite, but I like it. It's a quaint little song :happy:

While listening to Hullabaloo as a result of too much NSC, I came across a strange growl during Space Dementia at around 4:07 after the first 'Oooooh' of the song's outro. Doesn't sound like it came from Matt. Pretty scary actually. Sounds like someone close to the mic. Take a listen for yourself.

:supersad:

I've formed a solid, general opinion on this song: It's like Starlight. Both are catchy, both are nice. Both were/are going to be popular on ze radio. I'll still like them through all that.

the difference being, of course, that Starlight is at least a well written song ;)

:pimp:

nscchris.jpg

so perfect<33

so here's reaction face

87655689.jpg

i didn't take this as a good sign when it was sent out. noooooo.

I change my mind with each listen

My immediate reaction can only be described in smiley form.

:wtf::shifty::happy::):D:musesign::pope::(:vomit::srsb33f::awesome::supersad:

i think i feel all those those each time i hear it. and i don't particularly like that - nope

This is what the hubby said about the song...

It's like Knights of Cydonia and every other Muse song got together, got drunk, got smashed, then crapped (yes #2) together.....

that's damn funny but now i have a mental image :stunned:

Do any of you consider those songs tainted by association with these movies? Or even remember their use in these flicks' date=' let alone whether they were used in the trailers, commercials, etc.? Does anybody even give a crap about any of these movies anymore? No? Exactly my point. [b'] I'll grant that the Twilight series is a big deal, a far bigger deal than all the films listed above (with the possible exception of Swordfish, which starred John Travolta and Halle Berry, had a big budget and some great action set pieces, was well promoted, and benefitted from its post-9-11 context of Getting Even With The Terrorists, but I digress). I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that nine years from now, the new Twilight flick will be as thoroughly forgotten then as even Swordfish is now.[/b]

I highly doubt it...

Swordfish Worldwide gross = $147,080,413

Compared to:

Twilight Worldwide gross = $408,773,703

New Moon Worldwide gross = $709,711,008

Judging by the trend between NM and Twilight, and the fact that the fad hasn't remotely faded, it's reasonable to believe that Eclipse will do at least $700M and possibly more.

What does that mean? A hell of a lot more people have seen these movies than have seen all the others combined.

As for song placement in general, I don't think you can really draw an apt comparison to any of the movies listed. NSC is an original composition being used as the lead single from a movie that will be one of the big summer blockbusters and a soundtrack that will likely go platinum based solely on it's association with the movie. The same can't be said for any of the other movies - i.e. no one saw the movies, no one bought the soundtracks, the songs weren't singles from the soundtrack and they weren't original compositions.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to dislike a song because of the movie it's associated with, but I think you're underselling these movies. The Twilight franchise is an entity with a life of it's own. It's a huge part of current pop culture and as such it will have it's place in pop culture history when people look back 15yrs from now. At this point, it looks probable that Muse will be mentioned in association with it, but that's not a guarantee - it depends on what they do next.

The verse! LOLOL. I've listened to the song 7 or 8 times now and I still spend all of the first 30 seconds cringing. I'll admit I'm kind of a fan of the chorus though, especially the second one. Piano outro is great of course, but I'd rather have seen it in a better song. I think it doesn't fit well.

the difference being, of course, that Starlight is at least a well written song ;)

:yesey:

I need to gain my man hood back by going and listening to "Royal" by Deftones.

:\mm/: amen to that

Well think of it this way.

Matt said in the interview with Zane Lowe this song would've probably been on the next album but they decided to get it out now because it probably would be irrelevant by the time the next album rolls around.

If they didn't get it out now and none of you heard what this was like, all of you would've complained about the fact that they didn't release this song. Just because they release a one-off song that it seems 65% of the fans don't seem to like doesn't mean the end of Muse.

There's still 2 more contracted albums to be produced. Start bitching if those two albums start to suck and Muse start blowing at their live performances. Don't complain because one song that's based purely on Matt's tough time sounds cheesy.

I'm a little disappointed with Neutron Star Collision...

It seems like they re-wrote Knights of Cydonia to be a love song...

I wish they had made something completely new...

Not just for Twilight...

Don't get me wrong, still a good song...

They've done so much better though...

Starlight is one of my least favorite Muse songs. However, unlike Neutron Star Collision, Starlight has a great pop melody we never heard before. Starlight has an identity of it's own.

In my mind and for my ears, NSC is a poor, super cheesy power ballad using some familiar mash-up of tunes out of I Belong To You and Knights of Cydonia.

Matt and Muse are really lazy (yeah, like those infamous setlists in the TR tour). I'm glad Matt mentioned in Zane Lowe's interview that the next tunes will not be like NSC or something like that. He wrote the lyrics eight months ago just after he broke up with his gf (poor Matteh - when he was in love - he came up with Starlight ... ). :D

I Belong To You is a magnificent and very original Muse tune with Knights of Cydonia on it's own is a great spectacle live.

starlight was the first muse song i ever heard. it was so catchy i never forgot the piano hook...but when i heard it my reaction was "ewww". i turned the radio off and had a thought which i will never forget.

"that band will be gone in five minutes."

:LOL:

and while i don't hate starlight anymore it's for the very reasons you mentioned above. it is a well written song that we hadn't heard before, the chorus is immense and the sentiments are well expressed. it still annoys me greatly if i hear it too often though :$

Starlight is one of my least favorite Muse songs. However, unlike Neutron Star Collision, Starlight has a great pop melody (pretty much) we never heard before. Starlight has an identity of it's own.

In my mind and for my ears, NSC is a poor, super cheesy power ballad using some familiar mash-up of tunes out of I Belong To You and Knights of Cydonia. I Belong To You is a magnificent and very original Muse tune with Knights of Cydonia on it's own is a great spectacle live.

Matt and Muse are really lazy (yeah, like those infamous setlists in the TR tour). I'm glad Matt mentioned in Zane Lowe's interview that the next tunes will not be like NSC or something like that. He wrote the lyrics eight months ago just after he broke up with his gf (poor Matteh - when he was in love - he came up with Starlight ... ). :D

And yeah, NSC may yet become Muse #1 hit and will for sure get gazillion mainstream radio plays. I'm glad it's for Twilight and not for David Lynch's nor Tarantino's nor Nolan's nor Inarritu's films.

I just meant they're similar in that they're popular and generally bouncy songs. They're equal in my eyes. Both are kinda floating in the middle-bottom of my list though.

Well think of it this way.

Matt said in the interview with Zane Lowe this song would've probably been on the next album but they decided to get it out now because it probably would be irrelevant by the time the next album rolls around.

If they didn't get it out now and none of you heard what this was like, all of you would've complained about the fact that they didn't release this song. Just because they release a one-off song that it seems 65% of the fans don't seem to like doesn't mean the end of Muse.

There's still 2 more contracted albums to be produced. Start bitching if those two albums start to suck and Muse start blowing at their live performances. Don't complain because one song that's based purely on Matt's tough time sounds cheesy.

I said earlier that the best part of Matt making that comment to Zane is that hopefully this means he'll havetime to get this out of his system and get his head on straight before they have to write a "real" album - thank god for long touring! If they were in the studio right now or in the next couple of months, I'd be extremely nervous. :p

And about the "all of you" - personally, wouldn't be upset if this was never released officially, in the same way as I'm not upset at all about soaked. This sounds like a variation of the "at least it's a new song" thing I mentioned waaaaay back on an earlier page - I may be the only one, but I'd rather not have a new song than a hugely hyped release of a song that is at best mediocre... maybe as a leak or a random download (in the vain of Who Knows Who and Soaked), but as the next big single? :noey:

I don't know if this has been stated before BUT, I think they put this single on the wrong soundtrack. It seems better suited for Grease2! Not that I don't love everything else they've put out, this one seems a bit flat. And I don't think this song is terrible, just not Muse-ish. Which, I know is absurd to say, but the worst part about it is that Matt's vocals hover over the song. I prefer when you've got to search through the ensemble for the words and their meaning. You have to listen through each part, each instrument to "get it".

And, in my heart I can't help but think that maybe the guys are having a laugh about being a part of this Twilight nonsense anyway. Even though I'm a huge fan of both!!

I said earlier that the best part of Matt making that comment to Zane is that hopefully this means he'll havetime to get this out of his system and get his head on straight before they have to write a "real" album - thank god for long touring! If they were in the studio right now or in the next couple of months, I'd be extremely nervous. :p

And about the "all of you" - personally, wouldn't be upset if this was never released officially, in the same way as I'm not upset at all about soaked. This sounds like a variation of the "at least it's a new song" thing I mentioned waaaaay back on an earlier page - I may be the only one, but I'd rather not have a new song than a hugely hyped release of a song that is at best mediocre... maybe as a leak or a random download (in the vain of Who Knows Who and Soaked), but as the next big single? :noey:

In terms of it being for the band, is it really a big single or is it just a big single for a big movie? The next big single will be from The Resistance, not from the Twilight soundtrack.

Archived