:erm: The Resistance got me into Muse... but I do love most of their songs. I think it was more of a "commercial" success that kind of gave me a glimpse of "classic" Muse. Not necessarily "better" but definitely not "worse"

:) that makes only a small bit of sense to me, and I wrote it :facepalm:

I like the new stuff as much as the old stuff, but the idea that there are Muse fans who don't like OOS and Showbiz (the only ones that were out when I first heard them) terrifies me.

I'm not a big fan of Showbiz. :erm: So the idea of fans who don't like The Resistance is perfectly okay?

People who sell their tickets because of their newfound "hatred" toward the band aren't "cool". Thats awesome, you sold your ticket, now go spend it on another overpriced concert that involves a couple hipster bands and Thom Yorke's lazy eye.

I seem to be in a bad mood. :unsure:

Edited by MattXXI

You speak it perfectly well but saying that people who say Muse don't care about the old fans should "die" is a bit extreme because all they want is a few songs that aren't commercial singles.

I didn't bother to read through my post and all that. I did it in a rush, so I wouldn't forget what to type. Anyways: The point is that old fans who just want their old sound back, and not allow Muse to renew themselves, move on and write new music, would allow the band to die. I love Muse just because they sound so different and variated. They just get better and better, in my opinion. And yes, keeping a stream of fresh blood is more important than satisfying the old fans who are (more or less) blinded by nostalgia (controversial!!!). I don't think their "new" music are especially modified to be "commercial". (Does anybody here think that, by the way?)

I'm not saying I hate the old songs, I just wouldn't have gotten into them had I not know it was Muse who was behind them. "Cave" and "Uno" (two songs I know very well now and I really like, that's why I name them) sounds like rather standard rock songs that could have come from any indie/garage college rock band, if you see what I mean.

Also you say if The Resistance was released first the reaction would be the same?

Yep. From different people maybe, but the same reaction. Like always, when new things arrive/happen/random verb. If Muse are to release a total of 43 albums, nobody would diss The Resistance because of its direction/being commercial etc. It's mainly because it is the newest album, and you expected something else. And I also think some people don't like the fact that newer fans like their new music better than they do.

Melodies? So you're saying... the older songs don't have melodies? :LOL:What? And the first two albums are completely different. All the Muse albums are different in so many ways.

I don't see a clear difference between the first two, no. I always mix up which songs are from which album. Saying they have no melodies was a bit of a stretch, but at least it's easier to listen to the newer songs. (With a few exceptions.)

I'm not being so fucking nostalgic, I just have a different point of view to you- I don't want to keep up, because I like the older stuff better and there's nothing else to it. I don't want to keep up with this cheesy pop nonsense.

But... yeah... kind of like my grandparents on the Internet/PC/cell phones/HD TV's, etcetera. :/ You're being nostalgic. How is The Resistance "cheesy pop nonsense"? Because other people like it and it is listenable (read: aka not electric guitars with an enormous load of distortion and yelling and screaming on every track)?

Also, I had to write "fucking" to see if there was cencoring here. :)

I don't think their "new" music are especially modified to be "commercial". (Does anybody here think that, by the way?)

I do agree with that; they, with the exception of NSC (which is a song I'd rather not talk about :LOL:) seem to just like experimenting with these genres (e.g. UD).

I'm not saying I hate the old songs, I just wouldn't have gotten into them had I not know it was Muse who was behind them. "Cave" and "Uno" (two songs I know very well now and I really like, that's why I name them) sounds like rather standard rock songs that could have come from any indie/garage college rock band, if you see what I mean.

I personally disagree (plus Uno has the tango twist to it and Cave has the piano outro). You've got Sober, Overdue, etc. on the first album, all of which are admittedly quite bland, and it's because of those songs that it's arguably Muse's worst album. But you've also got Sunburn, Showbiz, and Muscle Museum, for example, all of which showcase Muse's earlier rawness and passion in their music. I don't see how those songs, for example, could be considered either generic or boring.

I don't see a clear difference between the first two, no. I always mix up which songs are from which album. Saying they have no melodies was a bit of a stretch, but at least it's easier to listen to the newer songs. (With a few exceptions.)

Which exceptions? And is 'easier to listen' really a good thing? Personally, I prefer the albums where the songs grow on you overtime - often the albums that do that are much deeper. E.G. OOS. And can you give examples of the songs that you consider to be difficult to listen to from the initial albums?

(read: aka not electric guitars with an enormous load of distortion and yelling and screaming on every track)

This doesn't refer to Muse's earlier material does it? :noey:

As for the Resistance: I like it, and I think it's quite a decent album. But I don't think it lives up to the quality of some of their earlier albums - with songs like Newborn, Stockholm Syndrome, Space Dementia, Bliss, Megalomania, Blackout, Citizen Erased, Micro Cuts and so on. Although I like all the tracks on TR except for Guiding Light and Resistance, there aren't really many notable tracks. UD, United States of Eurasia and Exogenesis are the only ones that come to mind.

Edited by Riveon

Ok, to clarify - people can like whatever albums best they want. Personally my favourites are OOS and The Resistance. The only reason I think it's weird when people don't like the first two albums at all is because they kind of define the Muse sound for me, I don't want to tell anyone else how to think! :p

I didn't bother to read through my post and all that. I did it in a rush, so I wouldn't forget what to type. Anyways: The point is that old fans who just want their old sound back, and not allow Muse to renew themselves, move on and write new music, would allow the band to die. I love Muse just because they sound so different and variated. They just get better and better, in my opinion. And yes, keeping a stream of fresh blood is more important than satisfying the old fans who are (more or less) blinded by nostalgia (controversial!!!). I don't think their "new" music are especially modified to be "commercial". (Does anybody here think that, by the way?)

The point of bringing back old songs to vary the set lists. Muse aren't going to vary set lists by playing songs they haven't written yet, so they must play older material. I am an old fan. I've liked them for about 9 years. I want them to play old songs. My favourite Muse song (at least one of my favourites) is Undisclosed Desires however. But I'd rather them play songs from Showbiz and OoS than the same old single heavy set lists every night because they've become a living greatest hits album. Muse are not one of those bands where the singles are necessarily their best songs. Do not be so quick so generalise old fans.

The point of bringing back old songs to vary the set lists. Muse aren't going to vary set lists by playing songs they haven't written yet, so they must play older material. I am an old fan. I've liked them for about 9 years. I want them to play old songs. My favourite Muse song (at least one of my favourites) is Undisclosed Desires however. But I'd rather them play songs from Showbiz and OoS than the same old single heavy set lists every night because they've become a living greatest hits album. Muse are not one of those bands where the singles are necessarily their best songs. Do not be so quick so generalise old fans.

:niall:

:awesome:

People who like anything more than 'Citizen Erased' are obviously morons. It's like the best song ever created. And if you even think that a song on The Resistance is good you're an idiot.

:phu:

Well good thing I only like Citizen Erased! :awesome:

Actually, for a while there, I couldn't even remember CE's name. I just knew it as the Rage Against the Machine riff at the beginning. Duh-du-DUN-du-DUNNN-duh-du-du-dun-DUUUN

Well good thing I only like Citizen Erased! :awesome:

Actually, for a while there, I couldn't even remember CE's name. I just knew it as the Rage Against the Machine riff at the beginning. Duh-du-DUN-du-DUNNN-duh-du-du-dun-DUUUN

Woah, is that a Rage riff at the beginning? Or are you just talking about style?