I hate matts older voice. It sounds way too whiney on Showbiz and also to an extent on Origin. He's definately improved with age.

Totally agree, Matt sounded like an angsty shrill teenager back in the days. I only really love his voice on BHaR and later - even on Absolution his vocals are too adolescent for my liking.

I think that MK Ultra is the second-weakest track on The Resistance and I won't be sorry at all if I never hear it live again.

I find it utterly bizarre that, for many people, Muse's live shows seem to go from "sucks" to "rocks" based on the inclusion of one or two old songs :confused:

Totally agree, Matt sounded like an angsty shrill teenager back in the days. I only really love his voice on BHaR and later - even on Absolution his vocals are too adolescent for my liking.

I think that MK Ultra is the second-weakest track on The Resistance and I won't be sorry at all if I never hear it live again.

I find it utterly bizarre that, for many people, Muse's live shows seem to go from "sucks" to "rocks" based on the inclusion of one or two old songs :confused:

It's about standards - when it comes to Muse, the standards are very high - and flow. A song in and of itself may not "ruin" a gig but it does wreck the mood/flow of the gig which is built by the previous songs etc. That's what they mean.

ok, i know this is a little off topic, but i suppose thi fits in this thread, although i doubt anyone would agree with me.

but, is it just me or does the verse of sing for absolution with all the effects on his voice make him sound like herbert from family guy? Ya know, the old, white haired pedophile with the slow dog, hunchback, and lisp. I mean, don't get me wrong, love the song, but it took me far longer to get use to it compared to the rest coz of that. Its just coz of the effect, THEY SOUND EXACTLY THE SAME!

anybody agree? no? :$:( wouldn't have thought so.

anyway, sorry for the interruption, now u may continue your boring lists of muse/radiohead albums.

lol

Completely disagreed on the first point. His newer voice is just so..Boring. It was pretty unique and really quite emotional up until BH&R. Then it just...Went flat :confused:

Disagreed. It's the strongest.

ok i don't know a lot of songs by radiohead (i definitely need to catch up), i have in rainbows, hail to the thief and the two songs creep and thinking about you. but i actually don't find muse and radiohead really similar at all :unsure: could someone maybe please name some radiohead and muse songs they think are similar so i can get where the constant comparisons come from? :$:happy:

ok i don't know a lot of songs by radiohead (i definitely need to catch up)' date=' i have in rainbows, hail to the thief and the two songs creep and thinking about you. but i actually don't find muse and radiohead really similar at all :unsure: could someone maybe please name some radiohead and muse songs they think are similar so i can get where the constant comparisons come from? :$:happy:[/quote']

Compare The Bends to Showbiz.

ok i don't know a lot of songs by radiohead (i definitely need to catch up)' date=' i have in rainbows, hail to the thief and the two songs creep and thinking about you. but i actually don't find muse and radiohead really similar at all :unsure: could someone maybe please name some radiohead and muse songs they think are similar so i can get where the constant comparisons come from? :$:happy:[/quote']

The Bends & Showbiz are similar.

Although Showbiz has more in common with Grace by Jeff Buckley, though The Bends clearly was influenced by Jeff Buckley as well to a point and both albums had the same producer (Leckie might even have done Grace, but not too sure there) by two bands very early in their career.

It's basically just lazy journalism by journalists who don't know much about music, as Muse & Radiohead are two British bands with singers who occasionally go a bit high pitched and a few odd guitar sounds. But both bands aren't influenced by the same things and Radiohead has a far more diverse range of influences going on than Muse do, just more subtle about it.

As has been said, The Bends and Showbiz are similar enough for comparisons in 1999. Muse and Radiohead have been significantly different musically since 2000-01 (compare Origin to Kid A/Amnesiac). Where the lazy journalism comes into it is that both of them had similar approaches to music and positions within the mainstream music world. Both had huge fan bases without really being in the public eye, or having an absolutely huge single or being minor celebrities (well Radiohead had Creep but they shyed away from it). Basically both bands had musically credible albums where non-single album tracks were live favourites while still being very much in the mainstream.

However nowadays they really aren't similar at all. Muse have veered off towards superstardom and probably have more in common with U2 than Radiohead. While Radiohead have been fighting their record label and doing solo projects. Musically they are more different now than ever before.

Subtle is not something Muse have pulled off well on a regular basis (though there are exceptions)

I wouldn't listen to Muse for subtlety anyway :chuckle:

What I mean is, Radiohead can take influences from a genre/artist, possibly blend this with other genres/artists (An example would be The National Anthem which has a Krautrock thing going on, with a Free Jazz section in the middle), but still create something that sounds like Radiohead whereas I feel Muse are heading more towards just doing a generic song within a genre with Matt's voice on top.

Which is only annoying because when you listen to songs like Hysteria and Stockholm Syndrome, they pretty much tore the rule book on how a rock band can sound with just a subtle use of electronics and ended up with 23rd Century metal and rock/metal sounds a bit "old" in comparison.

Edited by haze015

Ranking the Muse and Radiohead albums by my preferences:

Ooh I'll have a go!

OK Computer

Origin of Symmetry

Kid A

Amnesiac

Hail to the Thief

Absolution

In Rainbows

The Bends

The Resistance

Showbiz

Black Holes and Revelations

Pablo Honey

I wish Soaked could have been on The Resistance. 2:30 = awsome.

This! This, this, this, this, this!!!! I'm so glad someone else likes Soaked and wishes it had been on The Resistance... +1 :)

Also, I'm getting the feeling that I'm a bad Muser for not knowing a damn thing about Radiohead. I have exactly 3 Radiohead songs on the iPod-- No Surprises, Exit Music, and Creep. :$

From observing this thread and things like it, I think the Radiohead/Muse comparison deal is like the old Beatles vs. Rolling Stones battle. In both cases the bands came out of the same country, around the same time period, and released music that appealed to, essentially, the same audience. And then, somehow, it became an "either, or" when really, it's okay to like both...or just one.

Edited by hoosier_muser

Ooh I'll have a go!

OK Computer

Origin of Symmetry

Kid A

Amnesiac

Hail to the Thief

Absolution

In Rainbows

The Bends

The Resistance

Showbiz

Black Holes and Revelations

Pablo Honey

As will I:

Origin of Symmetry

Absolution

Ok Computer

The Bends

In Rainbows

Black Holes & Revalations

Showbiz

Pablo Honey

KID A

Hail To The Thief

Amnesiac

Yeah, that's right, I prefer Pablo Honey and Black Holes & Revelations to Kid A. Idioteque, Everything In It's Right Place, and How To Disappear... rule but everything elsee is art for art's sake electronic white noise to me. Hail To The Thief, again, has a handful of decent tunes such as A Wolf At The Door and Myxomatosis. From Amnesiac I can only really enjoy Knives Out, but it's one of my favorite Radiohead tracks.

I really quite like Pablo Honey.

I much preferred Radiohead back when they where a true alternative rock band, or at least back when 'rock' was the operative word.

Edited by NoSurprisesPlease