But I musst disagree with your last bit: I have gotten some of my best pix and vids from the pit! I try not to hold the camera in front of anyone; best tactic is to hold it way up high.

Same here - I have taken some of my best pictures in the pit. From the moment people are careful and respectful of others around I don't see why people can't take pictures, they make great memories to look back on.

I'm glad to hear you say this because I just bought a new camera! I keep telling myself I needed a new one anyway. :erm:

That's how you learn :chuckle:

My Nishe video is so full of lulz because of the background talking: between B shouting "thank you", Olly going "megaphone, oh no megaphone!!" and Kieran then begging matt not to sing feeling good :LOL: No way I am editing that!!

:chuckle: Oh, I already knew... that's why I gave my mom the other camera and asked her to video for me. I was singing, but the camera was just far away enough that you couldn't hear me! Fortunately it was only a tiny bit from one of my vids that I had to cut and the rest was just the end riff, spinny circles and me hypnotically following Matt exit the stage after having forgotten that I had wanted to stay on the mic so I could get Dom's goodbye :$:LOL:

And yes, your Nishe vid is :awesome:

Same here - I have taken some of my best pictures in the pit. From the moment people are careful and respectful of others around I don't see why people can't take pictures, they make great memories to look back on.

Def. do not sing whilst filming... It's unbelievable how much a little camera mic can pick up :chuckle:

Agreed. My best videos and pictures come from when I'm in the pit.

Some tips for photography in the pit:

- Be respectful and make sure you don't put the camera in front of people. It blocks their view and makes them upset. I feel this is an obvious tip but it has happened to me many times.

- Shoot with a low ISO that still allows you to use image stabilization. ISO 200 will give you better pictures but might come out blurry. I usually stick between ISO 400-800. ISO 1600 will make your pictures noisy and unattractive.

- Set your camera to manual. The light show will make your meter worthless.

- Take as many as possible, because you will wind up throwing away a good portion of your shots. Sometimes I set my camera to burst and see what I can catch in each batch. That being said - of the two hour show, limit the time you spend behind a view finder. I usually only spend about 30 minutes taking pictures, but I spread that time out between various songs and shots. Taking pictures is wonderful and helps you remember the gig but you also want to enjoy the show and live in the moment instead of being frustrated about blurry pictures.

I use a Canon Powershot 1100is and I love how my pictures come out. I hope this helps for people wanting to take pictures in the pit.

I have a few questions for you guys (I'm sorry If they were already posted but I read the first couple of pages)

Since I live in Canada and a smaller city not many people are huge fans of Muse or they have never heard of them.... so I don't think I would have to go really early to be at the barrier, Id be there at about 4pm (starts at 7pm). Ive never been in the pit, usually in 100's but close to the stage. Since it's Muse I have GA's and I'm just worried about getting caught in the Mosh pit and not being able to get out :LOL:

I'm taking along my brother.... but since my Mom is worried about him going (hes 14 but well built) she's coming as well. I donno how wel she would be able to deal with it but that's one reason I wan't to get barrier is so I won't have people in front of me and blocking the view. So..... how is it along the barrier? are their jerks who are gonna try to rip me off of it ? because I do wan't this to be enjoyable .... don't want it to be a bad experience.

Any tips for a first timer in the pit? :D

I'm glad to hear you say this because I just bought a new camera! I keep telling myself I needed a new one anyway. :erm:

If you are close and you have a good zoom you can get some brilliant pictures - I have spoilered some examples.

P1000798.jpg

P1010109.jpg

P1020434.jpg

P1020024.jpg

- Be respectful and make sure you don't put the camera in front of people. It blocks their view and makes them upset. I feel this is an obvious tip but it has happened to me many times.

- Shoot with a low ISO that still allows you to use image stabilization. ISO 200 will give you better pictures but might come out blurry. I usually stick between ISO 400-800. ISO 1600 will make your pictures noisy and unattractive.

- Set your camera to manual. The light show will make your meter worthless.

- Take as many as possible, because you will wind up throwing away a good portion of your shots. Sometimes I set my camera to burst and see what I can catch in each batch. That being said - of the two hour show, limit the time you spend behind a view finder. I usually only spend about 30 minutes taking pictures, but I spread that time out between various songs and shots. Taking pictures is wonderful and helps you remember the gig but you also want to enjoy the show and live in the moment instead of being frustrated about blurry pictures.

I use a Canon Powershot 1100is and I love how my pictures come out. I hope this helps for people wanting to take pictures in the pit.

That's excellent advice, especially about the ISO setting.

If you have a high speed burst on your camera I suggest to give it a go as it is brilliant for action shot/movements but be ready to do some sifting afterwards as you have maybe 4 blurry for 1 crystal clear.

If you're in seats, more importantly, don't tell the people who stand up for muse to "sit the fuck down." That happened to Mary, Lara, Liron and I at the SF show in 2007. Bastards.

It happened to me at a Jackyl concert. We refused to sit and ended up getting beer poured on our seats. We didn't pay to sit on our asses all night so we moved a few rows back and had a great time anyways.

If people don't want to stand at a rock concert they should stay the fuck home and listen to their CD's.

Hi! :)

That thread is a good idea, thanks for sharing all your tips! And I wanted to have some of your experienced view on something if possible...

I was wondering how annoying you'd think a shoulder bag would be in the pit?

I'm going to see them in Monteal in March and I'm ridiculously short so I HAVE to be at the barrier! I'll obviously have to wait outside for a while to get there, but that means winter coat on, plus probably the hat, scarf and mittens..and then I'll be stuck with all of that in the pit!! I was wondering if maybe puting my stuff in a bag (not a backpack but a shoulder bag?) would be a decent idea?

The few winter gigs I've been to I had seats so I didn't really have this problem...

Thank you!:D

Oh and btw those are truly :awesome:

If you are close and you have a good zoom you can get some brilliant pictures - I have spoilered some examples.

P1000798.jpg

P1010109.jpg

P1020434.jpg

P1020024.jpg

Hi! :)

That thread is a good idea, thanks for sharing all your tips! And I wanted to have some of your experienced view on something if possible...

I was wondering how annoying you'd think a shoulder bag would be in the pit?

I'm going to see them in Monteal in March and I'm ridiculously short so I HAVE to be at the barrier! I'll obviously have to wait outside for a while to get there, but that means winter coat on, plus probably the hat, scarf and mittens..and then I'll be stuck with all of that in the pit!! I was wondering if maybe puting my stuff in a bag (not a backpack but a shoulder bag?) would be a decent idea?

The few winter gigs I've been to I had seats so I didn't really have this problem...

Thank you!:D

Oh and btw those are truly :awesome:

Thanks!

Depending on venue some let you hang your coat over the barrier some will refuse. For Muse in November I had a waterproof winter jacket that I just tied around my waist when I'm inside if I can't put it on the barrier. I normally never have a bag all my stuff (i.e. money, phone, card) are in my pockets but if you want to take a bag I would suggest a small satchel that you can pass around your neck as those are easier when you jump around - shoulder bags tend to slide down.

If you are worried about being cold whilst waiting outside buy a survival blanket (tinfoil looking one), they keep you warm and you can throw it away before you get in.

Thanks!

Depending on venue some let you hang your coat over the barrier some will refuse. For Muse in November I had a waterproof winter jacket that I just tied around my waist when I'm inside if I can't put it on the barrier. I normally never have a bag all my stuff (i.e. money, phone, card) are in my pockets but if you want to take a bag I would suggest a small satchel that you can pass around your neck as those are easier when you jump around - shoulder bags tend to slide down.

If you are worried about being cold whilst waiting outside buy a survival blanket (tinfoil looking one), they keep you warm and you can throw it away before you get in.

Aw thanks. I was hoping about putting the coat and stuff over the barrier but of course I won't know if it's possible until I get there.. And tying it around my waist too with the mittens and stuff up in the sleeves but I was afraid it might be too big to hold on solid. And the bag around the neck is a better idea, thanks!

I didn't thougth about a survival blanket. Might be a very good idea indeed. I'll just have to see how the weather goes really.. It's so unpredictable, who knows maybe we'll have super early spring and I will be able to get away with a jacket!! ..But I highly doubt so!

Thank you!:)

Night shot is awesome too. It's helpful if you don't play with your camera that much. I like having a lot of control with my camera and working the settings.

I've had some pretty good results with night setting when it's dark and there's lots of movement and lots of random lights. Usually I'm drunk when using it..so..I try not to fiddle too much. :chuckle:

I've had some pretty good results with night setting when it's dark and there's lots of movement and lots of random lights. Usually I'm drunk when using it..so..I try not to fiddle too much. :chuckle:

:LOL: I can't get drunk during gigs. Drunk Kat is uber friendly and prefers to have everyone around her be without trousers. It would be a serious problem :facepalm:

:LOL: I can't get drunk during gigs. Drunk Kat is uber friendly and prefers to have everyone around her be without trousers. It would be a serious problem :facepalm:

I won't be drunk for the show but I will be afterwards. :yesey:

I'm glad I'm not really a horny drunk though. :chuckle:

P1000798.jpg

P1010109.jpg

P1020434.jpg

P1020024.jpg

That's excellent advice, especially about the ISO setting.

If you have a high speed burst on your camera I suggest to give it a go as it is brilliant for action shot/movements but be ready to do some sifting afterwards as you have maybe 4 blurry for 1 crystal clear.

I love your pics! After seeing yours and Pip's and some other folks' photos, I decided I had to get a new camera. I got a Lumix with at 12x zoom, so it should take some great shots. :D I need to get in some good practice with it before Feb.

And thanks for the ISO advice, Kat. :)

I'm wondering if I should bring a camera. I really like to take pictures and for me they're great memories, but I feel like I might pressure myself to get good pictures and end up spending half the concert with a camera in front of my face. I would be happy with just a few here and there though, so I might invest in a little camera.

I'm wondering if I should bring a camera. I really like to take pictures and for me they're great memories, but I feel like I might pressure myself to get good pictures and end up spending half the concert with a camera in front of my face. I would be happy with just a few here and there though, so I might invest in a little camera.

I'm just going to stick it out and keep pressing the button without really looking at it, and I should get a few decent ones.

I'll probably take lots of pics during Guiding Light. :chuckle:

I'm just going to stick it out and keep pressing the button without really looking at it, and I should get a few decent ones.

Oh yeah, I can get my pictures in during guiding light :D Not much else to do during that one.

I wish I had a small camera already. Mine tries to be an SLR while still being small but it's not quite small enough to jam in my bag.

I have a Sony Cyber Shot DSC W90. It's a good camera it's just hard to take close-up photos. Here are some picture from the No Doubt concert I was at in July. I was facing the lights so everytime they went up I lost focus. :LOL:

DSC03036.jpg

DSC03062.jpg

DSC03071.jpg

DSC03109.jpg

I love your pics! After seeing yours and Pip's and some other folks' photos, I decided I had to get a new camera. I got a Lumix with at 12x zoom, so it should take some great shots. :D I need to get in some good practice with it before Feb.

And thanks for the ISO advice, Kat. :)

I took those with the Lumix... You need to find the right mode for you but I normally use the high speed burst with low ISO and face recognition option.

I used Guiding Light in Paris to go through my pictures and delete the blurry ones :LOL:

One thing that always surprises me are people who try to take pictures in the pit... seriously??? Make up your mind, enjoy the concert in your big huddled dancey mess or stay off the pit with your camera... I've always disliked people with their elbows in my face trying to take pictures that end up crappy anyways.

:phu: I don't get in anyone's way and I take good videos/pics :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IadNctxLaMc&feature=PlayList&p=5A830690BEE9E409&index=11

I love your pics! After seeing yours and Pip's and some other folks' photos, I decided I had to get a new camera. I got a Lumix with at 12x zoom, so it should take some great shots. :D

Liam really did start something with his advice to Laure about the TZ 7!:happy: Now there are LOADS of us with this great little camera! :awesome:

Thanks for all the advice on this. I went to Snow Patrol in October with a newish camera and got shitty pictures so I need to fiddle around with mine before Muse. I'll have to figure out about ISO and such.

Liam really did start something with his advice to Laure about the TZ 7!:happy: Now there are LOADS of us with this great little camera! :awesome:

The Lumix has been the unofficial camera for Musers everywhere since at least 2006; got mine in '07 for Wembley. Just bought the new 12X zoom/hi-def vid model for my sweetie, now I'm almost wishing my old-school model (doesn't even zoom during vids) would break so I could justify a new one!