If you don't mind some bruises! And people trying to mash you from behind... It really helps if you make friends with those around/behind you so you can all work together to hold your ground and be able to actually enjoy the concert!

Experiencing the energy of Muse from a few feet away is an incomparable experience!

Now I'm afraid I will miss out a big part of the concert if I don't go in the pit :supersad:

But I am a weak, calm, 5' 4 glass-wearing opera-goer and I am too scared and shy to deal with the crowd of a pit :$

I am no longer sure what to do :erm:

Yeah, things only tend to get crazy in the the front, or if some morons try to actually mosh somewhere. If you are lucky enough to be tall, you may want to consider staying back a bit, and leaving the rail to us vertically challenged midgets :p

I'm not that tall, but I'm not short. I'm 5'8'' and I'll be wearing my boots which will give me another 2 inches probably. I'm stickin towards the back anyways because I really hated being stuck in the front. You can't enjoy the music when you can't breathe and are worried about getting hurt. :(

Now I'm afraid I will miss out a big part of the concert if I don't go in the pit :supersad:

But I am a weak, calm, 5' 4 glass-wearing opera-goer and I am too scared and shy to deal with the crowd of a pit :$

chill out at the side or back of the pit

from what i've been reading it's only intense at the front - mid and on matts side.. anyone in the pit will be closer to muse than seated people so regardless of where you are in the pit it should be awesome

kind of a dumb questino but the back is going to be a lot easier to breathe and it probably won't be as sweaty right?

Personally, if its not for you then you are only missing out on ruining your own concert experience.

NO LINE CROWDING! If you are holding spaces for friends, it is common courtesy to let the people behind you know. And one person holding space for a dozen just is not cool. As some have said, if you want to be on the barrier, you need to be prepared to line up all day. One or two at a time can go for food or loo breaks. I have seen people have one person in line all day, then think that all their friends will join them right before doors open.

Important corrolary to "DON'T BE A DICK": don't show up late to a show and then try to push your way to the barrier! 'Nuff said.

Big ol' plus one!! I really hate when people try to push in line or push their way to the front. If you want to get the barrier, then queue all day. If you can't queue, tough shit. There have been occasions where I haven't been able to queue, and I would never dream of pushing in in front of people.

Another question.

I am going with my mom (I'm 16 and she believes I need a chaperone) If she leaves me in line to wait and we switch on and off taking turns waiting while the other gets food, going to the bathroom, etc.. Is that considered line jumping and bad?

Nope, that's absolutely fine; just let people around you know what you're doing.

LADIES - don't wear mini skirts and if you do insist on wearing one DO wear underwear.... my friends experienced a full visual of a hanging cord from "there" from a young woman who also was on her friends shoulders - Just downright nasty!

:vomit:

part of me thinks i'm gonna have to stay away from all these threads cos it just makes me sad that i can't go :'( and it feels like ages before they play in the UK again.

on the other hand, reading all this excitement make me feel very happy for you guys. you're so lucky :D

Wow this thread is great! Scary at first, but I think all the tips will help. And do you guys prefer to wear ear plugs or not? The last concert I went to I didn't wear anything and it sounded amazing. Does it take away from the sound quality if you wear them?

Also out of curiosity, those of you that were on the barrier, how early did you get there? I'm thinking about going at like 7am maybe... D:

Wow this thread is great! Scary at first, but I think all the tips will help. And do you guys prefer to wear ear plugs or not? The last concert I went to I didn't wear anything and it sounded amazing. Does it take away from the sound quality if you wear them?

Also out of curiosity, those of you that were on the barrier, how early did you get there? I'm thinking about going at like 7am maybe... D:

It depends. I wish I would have had some at the Reliant show, but at the joint, I never felt I needed it. I'd say bring some along just in case.

chill out at the side or back of the pit

from what i've been reading it's only intense at the front - mid and on matts side.. anyone in the pit will be closer to muse than seated people so regardless of where you are in the pit it should be awesome

kind of a dumb questino but the back is going to be a lot easier to breathe and it probably won't be as sweaty right?

Depends on how much jumping and dancing you do. I was in a seat for ACX and I still lost half my body weight in sweat! I go a bit wild :D

If you are going to a gig in the states, you will likely be the first in line :) If you plan on being there that early, I hope you either have someone waiting with you that you can switch off with, or someone who can deliver snacks and stuff to you.

isn't there a Muser meetup? Can't you just say "i'm with them" and jump in or is that a no-no?

Please do not queue jump.

That is seriously one of the most irritating things in the world. Muser meets usually happen the day of the gig and then you all queue together or after the gig. Queue jumping will instantly make you one of the most despised people and many times you will get pulled out if you are caught doing that. If it's just one person getting pulled in, that's frustrating and people will be grumble but move past it. But please do not bring 6 of your friends into the queue. It's extremely unfair and all of you will wind up getting moved to the back.

That is seriously one of the most irritating things in the world. Muser meets usually happen the day of the gig and then you all queue together or after the gig. Queue jumping will instantly make you one of the most despised people and many times you will get pulled out if you are caught doing that. If it's just one person getting pulled in, that's frustrating and people will be grumble but move past it. But please do not bring 6 of your friends into the queue. It's extremely unfair and all of you will wind up getting moved to the back.

+1 to that post.

There is nothing worst than making the decision to queue all day to be at the front and see someone rocket about a couple of hours before and jump in front of you... Anyway there are very good chances that the people behind will alert security and that person will get pull out and sent to the back of the queue.

It's very simple: you want to be at the front then you accept you have to queue from very early, if you can't or won't queue then you just have to accept that you will be further back.

Why is it so hard to convince my friends that having GA tickets and coming down there only TWO hours before the show is unacceptable. :mad:

It's fine, as long as they are happy standing at the very back!

AMEN!!! Groups will camp out in line and hold places for others when some of the group go for loo/food breaks, or even a nap for the person/s who got up early to stake out a spot. But NO ONE should just join in right at the end, sorry; even if you have work or school, that's just not cool.

Also, as said before, be sure the people behind you know how many spots you are holding. I have seen people with little signs, like "I'm holding spaces for Mary/Tom/Jack/Helen/Tallullah" etc so those behind them won't be shocked when others arrive. But NOT right before the gig!!

Happened at the San Diego Soma show in '06; tiny venue, was camped out most of the day with Brandi/Branny, Chanel/Satan, Jordan/jester, Brian/canuxfan, right at the front of the queue. About a half hour before doors, the guy who had proposed to his GF on stage at the Wiltern showed up with his wife and twin brother and a bunch of others and tried to squeeze into the line with us. NOT COOL! And we told him so, and sent him to the end of the (by that time, very long!) line....

AMEN!!! Groups will camp out in line and hold places for others when some of the group go for loo/food breaks, or even a nap for the person/s who got up early to stake out a spot. But NO ONE should just join in right at the end, sorry; even if you have work or school, that's just not cool.

Also, as said before, be sure the people behind you know how many spots you are holding. I have seen people with little signs, like "I'm holding spaces for Mary/Tom/Jack/Helen/Tallullah" etc so those behind them won't be shocked when others arrive. But NOT right before the gig!!

Happened at the San Diego Soma show in '06; tiny venue, was camped out most of the day with Brandi/Branny, Chanel/Satan, Jordan/jester, Brian/canuxfan, right at the front of the queue. About a half hour before doors, the guy who had proposed to his GF on stage at the Wiltern showed up with his wife and twin brother and a bunch of others and tried to squeeze into the line with us. NOT COOL! And we told him so, and sent him to the end of the (by that time, very long!) line....

Well done on using the name Tallullah :LOL:

And well done for getting them moved to the back. It's just an extremely rude thing to do at the very end. But no one can complain if you inform the people behind you that you have more people coming. Just keep the numbers reasonable. Having a clown car of people flood the line is unfair and also make sure that they are coming at a reasonable time. It's heartbreaking and upsetting to be getting ready for doors only to see a small group come in and get good spots after only being in a line for 5 minutes. Make sure they can get there at least 45 minutes before doors so people won't be too upset.

+1 to that post.

There is nothing worst than making the decision to queue all day to be at the front and see someone rocket about a couple of hours before and jump in front of you... Anyway there are very good chances that the people behind will alert security and that person will get pull out and sent to the back of the queue.

It's very simple: you want to be at the front then you accept you have to queue from very early, if you can't or won't queue then you just have to accept that you will be further back.

+1

If someone tried to push in the queue in front of me, I'd happily rat them out. Sorry, but that's the way it is. I don't jump the queue if I can't be there all day, so why would I let anyone else? If you want barrier, get there early. If you can't get there early, too bad.

+1

If someone tried to push in the queue in front of me, I'd happily rat them out. Sorry, but that's the way it is. I don't jump the queue if I can't be there all day, so why would I let anyone else? If you want barrier, get there early. If you can't get there early, too bad.

It's that simple really. I couldn't imagine pushing in front of people to get barrier. Like when I met up with you at the Thursday when you guys were in front. I gave everyone hugs and talked for a bit before going to the back. You guys had been there since 8 and I got there at 5. There was no way in hell I was going to shove in just cause you were my friends. I just don't know how people could feel ok doing that.

I agree with what you guys are saying about queue jumping. As a n00b though, let me present a scenario. Suppose I show up at 9 am and there's only a handful of people there. Say I know that I have 3 friends coming by noon, and I tell the people behind me that I'm expecting three people. Then those friends show up at noon but the line by then is considerably longer. Can they get in line with me? I mean, without being spit on and heckled, lol.

I agree with what you guys are saying about queue jumping. As a n00b though, let me present a scenario. Suppose I show up at 9 am and there's only a handful of people there. Say I know that I have 3 friends coming by noon, and I tell the people behind me that I'm expecting three people. Then those friends show up at noon but the line by then is considerably longer. Can they get in line with me? I mean, without being spit on and heckled, lol.

You won't be heckled for that. You've informed people that you have friends coming and three is a reasonable number. Also, this is the US so I don't think the line will be as long as many people think it will be. Three people is not the same as a friend, his two friends, their girlfriends, his sister, and his cousin. I think you should be fine :LOL:

I've been to a ton of gigs, but honestly, Muse gigs aren't nearly as rough as most the bands I see. I didn't even break a sweat this weekend in Vegas! :LOL:

I started sweating at the end, I had to take off my hat :(. My back was sweating earlier on though because this chick behind me was putting pretty much all of her weight on me into my back. It was disgusting :vomit:. But because she wasn't supporting herself, she grew faint of breath, and during TIRO security had to take her out of the pit.

I've been to likely over 100 concerts and never once "queued" for rail position. That said, the way I see it you're either in line or you're not. I don't understand the concept of holding spots for freinds at all. Potty breaks are one thing but otherwise tough shit as far as I'm concerned. "3 friends coming by noon" don't deserve to get a better spot then fans who lined up sooner. What am I missing here?

Edited by t0r0n4d0

Im 26 and have been to my fare share of pits. General Admission or I dont go (unless its Tool or NIN or someone crazy like that ;) ). There are a couple keys to survival:

1) This isnt the time to get shy about being in a crowd. Just roll with it. People dont mean to step on you. Just a casual "Its all good" and everyone will get along.

2) Wear shoes! Not sandals! SHOES! NOT SANDALS! I swear...everytime I see someone wearing sandals I question the mercury content in the water. SHOES!

3) If its cold, you wont need a jacket, trust me.

4) Hydrate beforehand, and pee during the set before the one you want to watch. Once the openers get off the stage a lot of the crowd will leave and you can make your way to the front.

5) Dont expect to be in the first 2 rows and it will be a great experience. If you want to be all the way up front, have fun. Wouldnt want to be ya. I can see the sweat beading off the singer's face and Im not getting crushed.

6) Keep your third eye open for flying moshers!

7) When in doubt, get out. I saw Chevelle recently and it was just awful. Pushing, shoving punching. Thats NOT why Im in the pit, so I left. No band is worth getting hurt over. I doubt that will be a problem at this show.

8) Dont be a pain in the arse. No, you cannot rope off an area and claim it. Theres a good chance during the set youll get moved around anyway. Smile with people, talk, help each other out. Believe me, it sets the tone. If you get shoved, its probably because someone 3-4 rows back shoved and everyone fell like dominos. Dont get all huffy about it. Pull each other up and move on.

9) Make friends with the big guy.

10) Sing and jump and enjoy yourself.