If you feel like this now, I would definitely stay out of the pit! You will be absolutely miserable! Usually you get your tix within a few weeks, If I am not mistaken.

Yeah, as much as I'd like to experience the intense feeling of the floor crowd, getting out of the show with bruises and other people's sweat just isn't my idea of a good time.

Varies with the venue; in Vegas it was cool, they set up the Merch table outside the gig. Most places it's inside, so if you're on the barrier you have to wait until after. Usually lots of waiting, and picked over merch -- they run out of sizes and seems like it's the girl-cut tees that run out first. Haven't seen a program yet, but might have them for the big tour; they did in Europe, were about $20.

Something outside would be nice, especially in NY since I'll have other people hanging around who aren't going to the gig, I could get merch and give it to them or I could have them buy it for me! But I doubt I'll be that lucky :$

PoTC?

Pirates of the Carribean :$

At the NJ U2 gig they only had 2 tees, one bag; very limited selection. It was ALL about U2...

I thought there was a good amount of muse merch at the VA gig, considering... maybe they just didn't have all the stuff in yet for the NY gigs?

Like it was said earlier, don't put up with groping. For the ladies, and fellas too (though I'm not sure how often guys are goped), do not tolerate some perv trying to grope you. I understand everyone is mashed together but there is a difference between being pinned against someone and actual grabbing. Once I was in the pit during one of the openers and I swore someone grabbed my ass. I figured it was because we were all packed in. Well the bold bastard did it again a minute later and this time I was sure it wasn't an accident. It was outside in November at night and raining and I was already in a foul mood, so the second time really set me off. I turned around saw this guy about my age and knew it was him. I glared at him and told him to fucking stop it. He nodded, looked down and embarassed. He probably thought I wasn't going to say anything just cause I was small and short. If some prick doesn't stop when you tell him to, flag down security.

On the other hand there are people who aren't creeps. The first time I was ever in the pit ages ago there was this 400+ pound guy who was completely drunk, thrashing himself into everyone. Everyone who was behind me ended up moving away from him until he got up to me. He rammed into me so hard my head slammed into the person in front of me. But some nice guy next to me moved behind me to keep the drunk off of me. The creeps are unavoidable but there's still nice people willing to help you out.

No heels, you are not going clubbing. Not only will you want to shoot yourself later, but the person you step on will want to as well. As was the case when some broad decided it was more important to look "cute" instead of being comfortable and stepped on me with her heels.

Yes some bands suck but don't throw bottles. I could care less if you boo, do it as loud as you want. I was in the pit at a Metallica concert and Limp Bizkit (remember them, there was an actual time when they were popular, but not during this concert) was one of the opening acts. People threw bottles and other crap at them, and one of the bottles hit my friend square in the head. I don't care if you're throwing it at the stage, just make sure you throw far enough, can aim, and not hit someone in the crowd. Or better yet don't do it at all.

Such good advice, though it sounds like everyone is preparing for some epic battle. :LOL: I suppose it certainly can be. I've been in the pit at many shows and as long as I was right on the barrier have done fairly well minus a few bruises here and there, and I'm pretty small. Put me back a few rows ... not so well. Sometimes it just depends on the show and that crowd. At Alice in Chains at Vegas Jen & I stood dead center about 10 rows back and we were fine, quite a bit of space until there was a little surge and some asshat spilled part of his beer on me about 3/4 of the way through the show. You'd think if he was that determined to bring his drink into the pit he would have drank it by that time, geez. :mad: For Muse we were in front of Chris and aside from an interesting few behind us things actually stayed relatively decent. Both my forearms are bruised though, but that was just from being pushed into the barrier itself.

Worst pit I've been in by far is Flogging Molly, and that was definitely due to the mass intake of alcohol by the crowd. Still fun though. I also think festival type shows often draw the worst crowds b/c people have been hanging out drinking all day.

Btw, people still throw bottles (or anything for that matter?) Unfortunate. There was an opener at one show called the Creepy Creeps that was unloved by the crowd (may have been that FM show?) Frontman dressed as mariachi played every song on a coffin shaped keyboard set to organ, and even then nobody chucked anything at him, though they possibly should have. :stunned:

Btw, people still throw bottles? Unfortunate. There was an opener at one show called the Creepy Creeps that was unloved by the crowd (may have been that FM show?) Frontman dressed as mariachi played every song on a coffin shaped keyboard set to organ, and even then nobody chucked anything at him, though they possibly should have. :stunned:

I threw a bottle once :facepalm: A half full bottle of water... this was at warped and it was brutally hot out so I figured people would appreciate the bit of water spray.... ended up dumping most of it on the two poor people behind me :facepalm:

Felt like a right arse... and never doing that again. Ever

Such good advice, though it sounds like everyone is preparing for some epic battle. :LOL: I suppose it certainly can be. I've been in the pit at many shows and as long as I was right on the barrier have done fairly well minus a few bruises here and there, and I'm pretty small. Put me back a few rows ... not so well. Sometimes it just depends on the show and that crowd. At Alice in Chains at Vegas Jen & I stood dead center about 10 rows back and we were fine, quite a bit of space until there was a little surge and some asshat spilled part of his beer on me about 3/4 of the way through the show. You'd think if he was that determined to bring his drink into the pit he would have drank it by that time, geez. :mad: For Muse we were in front of Chris and aside from an interesting few behind us things actually stayed relatively decent. Both my forearms are bruised though, but that was just from being pushed into the barrier itself.

Worst pit I've been in by far is Flogging Molly, and that was definitely due to the mass intake of alcohol by the crowd. Still fun though. I also think festival type shows often draw the worst crowds b/c people have been hanging out drinking all day.

Btw, people still throw bottles? Unfortunate. There was an opener at one show called the Creepy Creeps that was unloved by the crowd (may have been that FM show?) Frontman dressed as mariachi played every song on a coffin shaped keyboard set to organ, and even then nobody chucked anything at him, though they possibly should have. :stunned:

The Chris side is usually tamer than Matt's side, although when I was on Chris's side in Utah, the crowd was really rough! I thought Utah was conservative! :stunned:

That had to be the youngest crowd I had been in though. The kids tend to go a bit crazier than us older kids ;)

Btw, people still throw bottles (or anything for that matter?) Unfortunate. There was an opener at one show called the Creepy Creeps that was unloved by the crowd (may have been that FM show?) Frontman dressed as mariachi played every song on a coffin shaped keyboard set to organ, and even then nobody chucked anything at him, though they possibly should have. :stunned:

I guess the people there just really hated Limp Bizkit. Not a fan of their's and did feel sorry for them a bit until I realized I was laughing out loud.

I think it should be mentioned that even if you're in the pit, it doesn't mean that you have to stand in the very front where you get beat up and groped etc.

I've seen Muse from the very front (one person behind barrier) and from the middle of the floor (with minimal pushing and showing), and from seats, and though I truly enjoyed each time, my best memories are probably from the time I was in the middle of the floor where I got to really enjoy the music and the jumping without worrying about being hurt by the crowd around me, and the view was still good.

That being said, I still plan on switching it around, depending on who goes to the shows with me.

Nearly every year, they've always played a St. Patrick Day's gig in Arizona, and THAT is crazier than any regular gig they ever play. They didn't do it last year, but they are doing it this year and have done it several years straight before.

I was in the pit for Placebo, and I didn't last long because I got elbowed in the stomach and got winded, but before that it was mental, but brilliant. I really enjoyed it, and I'm usually a claustrophobic person too, but I sort of ignored it this time around.

If you're not up to pushing, but you want to be close, I'd recommend the sides, or even mid center is fine. I had a great time there during NIN (and later on, Placebo) I went crazy without banigng into everyone, and everyone all around me was fine (but really getting into it)

I'm a weakling usually so I wouldn't last long in a pit anyway:LOL:

Gonna add this as it happened to my friends at a concert.

LADIES - don't wear mini skirts and if you do insist on wearing one DO wear underwear.... my friends experienced a full visual of a hanging cord from "there" from a young woman who also was on her friends shoulders - Just downright nasty!

Also, at the recent GD concert I was at it was downright embarrassing watching a young woman that wore a bustier and had her boobs largely on display and kept getting on her friends shoulders seeking some attention from the band. She didn't even get a look in.

Just a couple of things to add. If you are in the second row, please, please do not reach forward to grab the barrier. It is really painful being on the barrier with somones bony elbow digging into your ribs! On the same note, try to keep your elbows tucked in as much as possible because bony parts of bodies digging into backs is also very painful!

And, I think someone already mentioned, please be careful when putting your fist in the air not to hit the person in front in the head, the same when taking photos, make sure your arm is not in the person in front's face.

Always try to get to know the people around you too so you can look out for each other and if you see someone else having a bad time of it, look out for them.

Oh and above all else, HAVE FUN!!! :)

I think it should be mentioned that even if you're in the pit, it doesn't mean that you have to stand in the very front where you get beat up and groped etc.

I've seen Muse from the very front (one person behind barrier) and from the middle of the floor (with minimal pushing and showing), and from seats, and though I truly enjoyed each time, my best memories are probably from the time I was in the middle of the floor where I got to really enjoy the music and the jumping without worrying about being hurt by the crowd around me, and the view was still good.

That being said, I still plan on switching it around, depending on who goes to the shows with me.

I agree about being in the middle. You don't seem to get pushed around as much and normally have a little more space to move around, jump up and down without hurting anyone.

I've never been to a gig where I've been seated before. While it might be safe I would feel like I'm missing out of the fun of being on the floor.

I agree about being in the middle. You don't seem to get pushed around as much and normally have a little more space to move around, jump up and down without hurting anyone.

I've never been to a gig where I've been seated before. While it might be safe I would feel like I'm missing out of the fun of being on the floor.

Its not bad. Because the seats pretty much help define personal space. I'm pretty clumsy so honestly, its the safest thing for all concerned that I go for seats.

Just a couple of things to add. If you are in the second row, please, please do not reach forward to grab the barrier. It is really painful being on the barrier with somones bony elbow digging into your ribs! On the same note, try to keep your elbows tucked in as much as possible because bony parts of bodies digging into backs is also very painful!

And, I think someone already mentioned, please be careful when putting your fist in the air not to hit the person in front in the head, the same when taking photos, make sure your arm is not in the person in front's face.

Always try to get to know the people around you too so you can look out for each other and if you see someone else having a bad time of it, look out for them.

Oh and above all else, HAVE FUN!!! :)

I agree with everything you said, Helen, except the first part, and that only sometimes. You and I are fairly tall sturdy gals, but if it's a tiny person on the barrier, it can be really helpful to have someone standing just behind them bracing their arms on the barrier to form a physical shield. A few times I have been in the 2nd row in the pit, behind fairly small people and with a strong surge from behind, where my strong biceps were the only thing keeping both of us from being crushed!

My general rule is, I ask before the headliner to see if the person minds if I brace on the barrier for both of us.

The only thing I would add is if you can find a comfortable pair, wear steel toe shoes. I was in the pit at Vegas last weekend about four people back directly in front of Matt and I didn't feel anyone stepping/jumping on me. I had a blast and the shoes definitely helped. The last concert I was at- Mayhem Festival in Chicago in 08- was brutal. During Machinehead I had a huge guy literally standing on my foot and I kept asking him to get off me and he ignored me. I finally shoved him really hard and he moved. I don't like to resort to violence, but I will if I've exhausted all other means. I was limping for a week afterwards. Not fun.

The pit is a very large area. The way it was described sounds like how it is much closer to the stage (I know this because I got stuck in it once and wasn't prepared for it). I've been in the pit for half of the Muse performances I went too but learned to stand in the back. The whole entire pit isn't a mob from what I remember. There was ample room for the people that didn't want to be mobbed in the back. :)

Edit: My experience is for Muse headlining concerts only, I'm not talking about festivals where multiple bands take turns on stage.

So if you've got a good pair of arms, you'll be relatively comfortable at the barrier?

If you don't mind some bruises! And people trying to mash you from behind... It really helps if you make friends with those around/behind you so you can all work together to hold your ground and be able to actually enjoy the concert!

Experiencing the energy of Muse from a few feet away is an incomparable experience!

:) lol I'm glad you said that because I was starting to doubt my past experiences reading all these post. :LOL: I've been in GA plenty of times and I was only mauled once. That was because I wanted to be up at the front and didn't realize how people were going to act. In the middle/back of the GA is a lot more tame

:) lol I'm glad you said that because I was starting to doubt my past experiences reading all these post. :LOL: I've been in GA plenty of times and I was only mauled once. That was because I wanted to be up at the front and didn't realize how people were going to act. In the middle/back of the GA is a lot more tame

Yeah, things only tend to get crazy in the the front, or if some morons try to actually mosh somewhere. If you are lucky enough to be tall, you may want to consider staying back a bit, and leaving the rail to us vertically challenged midgets :p