Should they play it live again?  

289 members have voted

1. 1. Should they play it live again?

• Yes, nearly every gig, it's the best song to go crazy to
    • Every couple of gigs
    • Once a tour
    • No, i really hate this song

Turning Debase Masons Grog into Assassin was a terrible mistake.

I remember being so excited to hear the album version of that song when we heard it from the US tour and was massively disappointed.

I remember when they first played it live in 2005 and I thought "this is going to be a fucking master piece. Definitely one of Muse's best songs to date". Assassin is not even in my top 30 favourites.

:stunned: Drums?

Ok slightly different pattern but the parts where the drums are really prominent are at the same points in both songs. The structure is the same for everything else, it's just the lyrics and a few touches in the studio here and there that have been added.

Also, I prefer the chorus of the BH&R version for the harmonies.

Ok slightly different pattern but the parts where the drums are really prominent are at the same points in both songs. The structure is the same for everything else, it's just the lyrics and a few touches in the studio here and there that have been added.

:facepalm:

Okay lets go through it all:

VERY different drumming

Very different vocals, obviously no harmonies, and much more effects and reverb. Not to mention that the climax of the chorus isn't in the backing vocals. And overall the way the vocals are delivered is way different.

Different lyrics.

Different guitar at places.

And that's just what I remember from last time I heard them both which was like a month ago.

Okay lets go through it all:

VERY different drumming

Very different vocals, obviously no harmonies, and much more effects and reverb. Not to mention that the climax of the chorus isn't in the backing vocals. And overall the way the vocals are delivered is way different.

Different lyrics.

Different guitar at places.

And that's just what I remember from last time I heard them both which was like a month ago.

Ok drums I'll give you, I think they ended up being used for MotP.

I wouldn't say the lack of harmonies was a major difference, and the audio quality isn't really good enough for any of the recordings to be able to tell whether Chris is doing any BV anyway.

Delivery of vocals, maybe. Didn't really notice any difference, though that's probably on me.

Different lyrics I've already conceded, but without looking at the microscopic detail, as far as I can tell they're the only major difference.

One's the live version of the other, they're no more different than the live and studio versions of, say, Unsustainable. After all, the guitar tone for the live version Unsustainable is totally different, as is the tone for the string section. They're still the same song.

Ok drums I'll give you, I think they ended up being used for MotP.

I wouldn't say the lack of harmonies was a major difference, and the audio quality isn't really good enough for any of the recordings to be able to tell whether Chris is doing any BV anyway.

Delivery of vocals, maybe. Didn't really notice any difference, though that's probably on me.

Different lyrics I've already conceded, but without looking at the microscopic detail, as far as I can tell they're the only major difference.

One's the live version of the other, they're no more different than the live and studio versions of, say, Unsustainable. After all, the guitar tone for the live version Unsustainable is totally different, as is the tone for the string section. They're still the same song.

You really don't think there's a difference between having a different tone, and playing different patterns, chords and singing different vocals?

No. One's the ruined version of the other.

You really don't think there's a difference between having a different tone, and playing different patterns, chords and singing different vocals?

There I was just talking about the different vocal delivery, roughly equivilant to different guitar tones.

There I was just talking about the different vocal delivery, roughly equivilant to different guitar tones.

But then that's still just ONE thing out of all the examples I gave. Obviously what makes DMG and GOB so different are all their differences combined.

I mean even the drums enough are reason to consider them very different. Then there's the vocals which I find miles above the GOB.

The drums are the biggest difference in the arrangement, but I think also the Absolution tone played a part in it. The guitars sound a lot weaker in the final version.

The middle part of GOB is pretty close to what DGM was though. Feels like it was from earlier takes of what Assassin might have been.

• 4 months later...
I don't know if this has been asked before, but do you think someone could combine the a capella vocals from Assassin with the Debase instrumental that Kueller made? I would love to hear that. And by someone I mean Kueller. Cheers.

I was originally going to do that (which is why it's the exact tempo as the original) but I went against it since it would the the modern lyrics and the vocals aren't nearly as powerful with the effects. I'll try it anyways.

Archived