Guest QueenOfNerds
This board NEEDS more Matteh! :musesign: :musesign:

It kinda does really :happy:

That was nice him taking time to talk at us little people

made us all happy for a while!

Matt can talk about this as much as he likes as far as I am concerned, although it has led to the peak of my sexual frustrations.

spotify seems to be proving there is very little money in that model unfortunately. artists get next to nothing, spotify has made the free service now invite only :-/

i think the way forward is to just give up on the idea that music has to be paid for, i like that muse embrace that by streaming all their stuff. should still charge for cds and similar but that should be paying for the optimal listening experience (pretty much as nin have innovated with their many package options) and give up on charts and things and look at other ways being a popular artist can bring in revenue, which really cant be that hard when you have a market

An article I read in The Times outlined how over the past 10-15 years bands have gone from doing loss making tours to sell records towards giving music away for free to drum up interest in their tours.

The main victims of the downloading will be the record companies and promoters that heavily engage in manufacturing 'pop bands' purely to sell music to impressionable youths. Bands like Muse have large fan bases who don't mind paying for their albums, will go see them on tour and may even buy singles. I doubt the same can be said for your stereotypical Girls Aloud fan (about Girls Aloud, not Muse :LOL:).

Basically, Simon Cowell is the loser in all this.

spotify seems to be proving there is very little money in that model unfortunately. artists get next to nothing, spotify has made the free service now invite only :-/

i think the way forward is to just give up on the idea that music has to be paid for, i like that muse embrace that by streaming all their stuff. should still charge for cds and similar but that should be paying for the optimal listening experience (pretty much as nin have innovated with their many package options) and give up on charts and things and look at other ways being a popular artist can bring in revenue, which really cant be that hard when you have a market

That's because the Ads aren't optimized to their best use. If google has proved anything it's that ads are the best form of revenue because they can be tailored to specific demographics. If spotify's ads reflected the music's target demographics then it'd be a whole new ballgame. That combined with the portability of the iphone app and the potential for subscription fees the possibilities of having free media is really viable.

Bands like Muse have large fan bases who don't mind paying for their albums, will go see them on tour and may even buy singles. I doubt the same can be said for your stereotypical Girls Aloud fan (about Girls Aloud, not Muse :LOL:).

And their flags. :$

:LOL: gosh he'll be on to Morgan next...

:LOL: You imply that Morgan is actually fallible. Haha what a crazy notion :p

i'm astonished morgans replacement didn't suffer tirades of abuse

He did an alright job. Obviously nothing compared to the genius of the Nicholls.

Basically, and I'll keep saying this until I die, the industry has been painfully slow to awknowledge file-sharing and now that is has, it wants to get rid of it rather than work with it. Those initial decisions have pretty much doomed themselves.

Basically, and I'll keep saying this until I die, the industry has been painfully slow to awknowledge file-sharing and now that is has, it wants to get rid of it rather than work with it. Those initial decisions have pretty much doomed themselves.

Exactly. It's like a stoic OAP refusing to move out of a shithole house into a lush retirement home because they'd rather wallow in their own shit that give up the slightest grain of control. Ignoring the fact that while they might be in control they're incapable of surviving.

Archived