It's certainly diminishing what with the situation at the moment as every industry has taken a hit but it's still there and fairly sizable. But that's traditional advertising. If there were ads tailored to the user based on their listening habits then advertisers would pay even more than what they do now because it would be more effective. Like Rage albums being advertised if a user has listened to a lot of Muse or even promoting gigs or events, there's so much potential that's not being explored that I see as the logical step to take. But alas the industry just wants as much control. They can keep it but they'll lose eventually.

you might be right i could see that does have potential (though if someones not paying to hear the muse album i dunno why they'd pay to hear rage ;) ). the thing that doesn't appeal to me is forcing users to endure advertisement though i think that makes the idea of downloading it illegally more appealing. i guess its a balance though of content / advert which is how big a deal it is.

Official forums!

I posted on the official forums!

OoooooooooowoaaaahhhhhhhoooohhhhhwAAAAAAAAH!

RIFF

hahaha made my day. Actually bellz himself posting made my day too (says alot for my day tbh :()

Not sure what to say about your post tbh matthew i can see where your coming from and how it would be benifical to unsigned bands but there would be alot of controversy with people not wanting it etc etc. Plus that and the fact that people would find ways around it (unless its mandatory and your computer isp is already on the media downloading database - even then however there would be ways of getting around it)

Given time i reacon it could work, however i think paying it like you would an internet conection would prove far easier i.e paying a set subscription each month for X amount of downloads and then once you go over the X downloads you pay X amount for each download there after (i think itunes is a little like this i dont use it so i dont know for sure)

Hope this makes sense!

Edit wow my first serious post in a hell of a long time!!! Haha

I notice how Lily and Matt both totally bypassed the notion that filesharing actually helps for the spread of new music. If it weren't for me sampling new music via downloads I'd listen to the same bands over and over because I'm not willing to hang out at a record store or take the advice of NME or other bullshit publications. I rely on recommendations from my friends sending me stuff and vice versa. If it wasn't for the nature of sharing that we have then many artists, including Lily herself, would not be around today.

That is, actually, a good point!:D

I mainly rely on things I hear on triple j (ie, radio) and sometimes friend (the rare ones that have good music taste)! But then again.. Yeah, I cbf writing stuff. But there are many very valid points here...:erm:

you might be right i could see that does have potential (though if someones not paying to hear the muse album i dunno why they'd pay to hear rage ;) ). the thing that doesn't appeal to me is forcing users to endure advertisement though i think that makes the idea of downloading it illegally more appealing. i guess its a balance though of content / advert which is how big a deal it is.

There would probably have to be a limit to the number of slots on a page. And then it would be up to the companies to fight for the best spots to advertise. This could easily be exploited by giant companies though, but then that benefits the musicians pocket I guess.

I notice how Lily and Matt both totally bypassed the notion that filesharing actually helps for the spread of new music. If it weren't for me sampling new music via downloads I'd listen to the same bands over and over because I'm not willing to hang out at a record store or take the advice of NME or other bullshit publications. I rely on recommendations from my friends sending me stuff and vice versa. If it wasn't for the nature of sharing that we have then many artists, including Lily herself, would not be around today.

i thought matts argument was to compensate artists for exactly that

Ha! I think he is far too intelligent to have any kind of common sense and wont realise, but when he does see it, there will be a momentary pause for reflection, that awful but infectious laugh, then he'll ponder again and have to respond to someones crazy ass reply pmsl

See you at the Brum concert, right up the fookin front.....well you probably wont, but these things are said ay lol

Yeah I'm fairly sure common sense goes down as intelligence goes up lol

I'm sure I will ;) Well, if I make it to the front that is :LOL:

I tend to listen to the Radio for my new music fixes, which i'm guessing some kind of massive internet radio is the sort of thing Popey is suggesting?

Matt's arguement would work if:

a) the internet was small very easy to monitor

b)you assume all downloading is of illegal creative content.

c)all countries do exactly the same thing to control their internet 'space'

Since neither a or b are real and c poses a massive problem for any attempts to control internet usage, it's a nice idea but not practical.

Yeah poor example advertising music on free music but the notion of targetting products to the right demographic still stands :p But yeah with the point about suffering ads, I think that's why the option to download should still be there and should be promoted. So the sampling is availible but if you want to own it then you can. That or paying a subscription to stream unlimited amounts without ads and then redistributing the subscriptions based on listens agregated within the listening service provided like iTunes or Spotify.

If the record labels genuinely wanted a solution then they'd have offered something similar to Spotify themselves thus bypassing the commission Spotify charge and saving themselves from this trouble. Heck they could have even combined like a musical version of Hulu from the states but instead they're obsessed with DRM and ownership thanks to the crap perpetuated by lawsuits from the RIAA and PRS.

I disagree Matt that this is not well thought out, on the contrary, you seem to have some very interesting and workable ideas albeit a few holes which I'm sure could be got around......

Unfortunately, I would dearly love to have the time to critique fully, but time does not allow.....one thought though, as a lover of music and all things creative, I already pay a higher price to my ISP for unlimited download as opposed to the basic packages on offer that restrict usage, but again, you quite rightly lay the responsibility on the provider.

Anyway, after months of glorious uninhibited irresponsibility that my life has become (HOORAH for redundancy, reassessess the importance in life....having fun tee hee), thank you for a moment of real "thinking" time :D

I missed you guys at Teignmouth boo hiss, down there just one week before for Shaldon Regatta, but did manage to catch a jar or two at your local at the Helen Foundation Event....ooooh how I purred holding the Resistance Guitar chortle chortle.

Best track on the new album, Undislosed Desires.....I get it, and so right in my world at the mo...YEEHAH ;o)

See you in Birmingham again....cant bloomin wait, long live all things ITALIA (no, I'm not Italian, just a great lover of the country and culture) x

Visiting your local, poo, I'm not a stalker :$ needed food, saw sign for pub, thought yum, whisky tot too and quite literally stumbled on it....then proceeded to laugh all the way back to campsite at my chance visit and run round the field with arms in the air like a loon....er, ok, yeah, that sounds a bit freaky.....oooops! ;)

i thought matts argument was to compensate artists for exactly that

Or at least count a download of a song a performance which is paid to the PRS/MCPS by the ISPs that allowed it to happen.

Just a VERY basic idea...it's friday and I'm not in the mood to set up an entire protocol in my head

But he's matt bellamy, he said it so it must be true.

:LOL:

Yeah that was good but I physically laughed at Mozza's lyrical change it was just perfect :LOL:

They're all amazing!

L's is better Niky, you know it! :p

I wrote Matt a song. What have you lot done? Nothing, apart from spaff or pick apart his arguement :LOL:

:LOL:That! :chuckle:

If yu're talking about the L'Oreal posted - permission granted :D

Yesssssssss!!!!!!!!:dance:

Cheers.

I've no idea how to do that "Originally Posted By" stuff, so I'll have to do it some other time, and when I get a normal sig back! :p

I tend to listen to the Radio for my new music fixes, which i'm guessing some kind of massive internet radio is the sort of thing Popey is suggesting?

Matt's arguement would work if:

a) the internet was small very easy to monitor

b)you assume all downloading is of illegal creative content.

c)all countries do exactly the same thing to control their internet 'space'

Since neither a or b are real and c poses a massive problem for any attempts to control internet usage, it's a nice idea but not practical.

Sort of like mass internet radio. More like an individual juke box where you stream music for free but it's peppered with ads between every other few tracks and the ads aired to you are based on your listening habits.

Then if you don't want ads then you have the option of paying a subscription to the service to get rid of them and continue to stream or you actually purchase the song or album and own it without any DRM restrictions.

Much simpler and with the rise of smart phones perfectly achievable through the use of 3G services and applications.

Whoever added that "Yo ho sebastian" tag made me lol so much i spilled my drink :LOL:

Im not surprised matt had to post to clear up his opinion which obviously got misunderstood as being something that was devised and planned like a piece of art or something :LOL:

My personal opinions about ISPs is rather hypocritical :p Personally,i may download various things... every now and again... possibly illegally... via the wonderfull means of P2P torrenting.

Now while this is all dandy, the thing that my current ISP has in place, is that they block torrent trackers between something like, 12am and 6am or something, which while it is very annoying for me personally, i do see it as being a very good idea to stop piracy, im sure if enough ISPs undertook this method to prevent illegal file sharing, enough people would get pissed off enough with something downloading at 5kb/s, that they would give up straight away (this is assuming that the majority of piracy takes place via P2P torrent sites and programs)

this way ISPs dont need to charge you more, because they are simply denying you the service alltogether, and if they could find a way to allow legal torrents to download at full speed then they would be able to satify anyone that uses P2P clients legally.

Having said that, im sure there are ways around ISPs blocking, i just dont have the know how on how to do it :LOL:

Archived