Do you not like The Resistance?  

488 members have voted

1. 1. Do you not like The Resistance?

Easy - Unnatural Selection. Their performance of this was awesome at Teignmouth.

I agree actually. I was there on the Friday and was left gobsmacked with a new addiction to youtube when I got home. The ending of the song was, and still is fantastic.

This however was another disappointment for me for when I heard the studio version - with high expectation - I was left feeling disjointed and bored. The studio version is dull in comparison.

To close with it would be good but never as good as Knights. In my angry opinion Knights is better than most of this album put together. If I had a pound for every time I've listened to it I could retire tomorrow.

Only my opinion.

In my very humble opinion and as a (still) very loyal Muse supporter I do think it is possible to right a full, comprehensive and accurate review of the album after only listening to it once or twice - simply because there isn't sod all to it.

In the few days I've owned the album, a few tracks have grown on me since the first time I listened to it. So as you are such a loyal fan, hopefully you'll give them the chance and listen a few more times, even if you want to give it a bit of a break first, and then maybe your opinion of it will change. Then again, it might not. We'll see what happens. :)

Also, I think - as well as Unnatural Selection - Exo III, Resistance and maybe even MK Ultra or USE would be great finales.

I would much rather listen to Unnatural Selection than Knights. I think maybe Knights has had its day now! I'm very ready to move on.

BTW I think on this board its a bit of a case of "with friends like these...." The critics have been generally very enthusiastic about this album with good reason I think.

To say there's nothing to it incidentally is frankly ridiculous.

This however was another disappointment for me for when I heard the studio version - with high expectation - I was left feeling disjointed and bored. The studio version is dull in comparison.

You should take a look at it on Audacity. Loudness War to the max. :ohmy:

To close with it would be good but never as good as Knights. In my angry opinion Knights is better than most of this album put together. If I had a pound for every time I've listened to it I could retire tomorrow.

Could it be true? Someone who holds KoC to the esteem that I do? :eek::awesome:

I feel a distinct Depeche Mode feel here, especially in Uprising and Undisclosed desires.

I personally think Uprising is terrible. It is the same the entire song, and what little guitar there is seems pretty lame knowing how talented Matt is.

I like Resistance, it has a decent feel and sound.

I don't mind Undisclosed Desires, but it certainly isn't like Muse. That can be good or bad.

USoE has a nice Muse feel, some pretty unique musical bits, great vocals. But, I can't stand the BLATANT Queen...copy? I don't know what to call it, but there is no hiding how much it sounds like Queen. Either way, a good song.

What the F is Guiding Light? Some '80's inspirational song? I mean really. And the guitar solo, though cool, is as not unique as it could possibly be, and sounded identical to any hair band solo. This isn't moving forward, it's moving WAY backward.

Unnatural Selection made me smile because of the guitar line. It was a nice change after the beginning of the album. I will say that it does sound quite a lot like New Born, only less awesome. The interlude/solo is pretty awesome however.

MK Ultra has some pretty cool guitar riffs. But the synth really ruins it for me, as it does in all of the songs with the synth...

The beginning of I Belong to You sounds like Maroon 5 should have written it. It lacks the flavor of Matt's piano skills. Then the bridge comes in beautifully, and there is his ability. It is fantastic until the last minute or so, though the Clarinet solo is pretty cool. I'm confused on my feelings for this song.

Exogenesis: I have nothing bad to say. It is Muse in all their glory. It demonstrates their classical abilities, and their song writing skills. I am very pleased...and surprised after the eight songs preceding it.

All in all, this doesn't hold a candle to their previous work. Until Exogenesis, I felt almost like they'd lost what made them Muse in this album. They still have it, but they don't seem to want to show their new fans that side. Instead, they want people that will love the dancey beats of Undisclosed Desires and I belong to You. They did that with Supermassive Blackhole, but there was rockin guitar and a Kaoss solo in that song. I will continue to love Muse, and if they come to my town, I will pee my pants in excitement. But as far as albums go, this is seriously lacking. Their others have had the "it" factor that just made you go "holy crap," and this one just doesn't have it in my opinion. Thanks for reading.

Muse still rule.

Cheers.

In the few days I've owned the album, a few tracks have grown on me since the first time I listened to it. So as you are such a loyal fan, hopefully you'll give them the chance and listen a few more times, even if you want to give it a bit of a break first, and then maybe your opinion of it will change. Then again, it might not. We'll see what happens. :)

Also, I think - as well as Unnatural Selection - Exo III, Resistance and maybe even MK Ultra or USE would be great finales.

I've been listening to it for over a week now :shifty: and played it through from start to finish about half a dozen times and listened to random songs in my car quite a lot. It's not growing on me at all. I can't even be bothered listening to Exogenesis anymore :(

If this was any of my other favourite bands then the album would be shelved already. As this is my most favourite band I am still playing it and trying very hard to really like it.

Not happening though :'(:'(

Could it be true? Someone who holds KoC to the esteem that I do? :eek::awesome:

Yes it is dude.

What an amazing song!!! I reckon I've listened to it 500+ times (I sometimes go out of my way to dig the album out just to get a KoC hit!) and I am not bored with it in the slightest. There is sooo much going on those six short minutes I would rather whack it on repeat and listen to it 11 times than sit down and listen to Resistance all the way through again.

When I watch live footage of people singing the solo at the beggining it makes me tingle all over. :LOL:

Am I the only person who thinks Knights Of Cydonia is a pretty awful song?

It just feels like 4/5 bits jammed together, the middle section is horrifically corny, the lyrics throughout the song are terrible and it only really kicks off during the outro riff.

:erm:.

Now you see for me Knights is fun, it's entertaining, but nothing more. It works well live but it doesn't reach me like these songs do. In fact, if I am listening to BHaR I sometimes skip it. I enjoyed it at first, but now I much prefer to listen to songs that have more depth to them.

It just feels like 4/5 bits jammed together, the middle section is horrifically corny, the lyrics throughout the song are terrible and it only really kicks off during the outro riff.

Yeah it's hardly amazing. :LOL: I remember horseying around my house when I first heard it and I lol'd fiercely at the video, but that's about it. It was a laaarf.

Your not alone, it is,it's also terribly produced. actually I think I prefer SMBH over it anyday. the only thing that saves it for me is the live version.

Muse has lost it's inspiration. Deeply burry by The Resistance, it's time is now far gone. Absolution and Origin of Symetry will still remain, unforgettable : ).

If you mean they've evolved by lost it's inspiration then yes, I'm glad they lost it's inspiration because they've given us quite a good album losing it.

The album works the best for me if I'm sitting in a room alone with no lights on. It feels deeper and more meaningful that way. Like someone said before, this album isn't just an album. It's an experience.

[btw...this elephant and basically this entire thread can kindly go to hell.]

The album works the best for me if I'm sitting in a room alone with no lights on. It feels deeper and more meaningful that way. Like someone said before, this album isn't just an album. It's an experience.

[btw...this elephant and basically this entire thread can kindly go to hell.]

That sounds weird and depressing to me :p

I must admit though that the time I enjoyed it the most was when I heard the Apple Lossless version with good headphones on. Sounded crisp and clear and enhanced the album slightly.

Archived