yeh tab subforum, yeh

Isn't it strange that Kit & Tab are together from the very start?

Like 'kit' and 'tabs' are not 2 things you put close together are they?

I mean, well I don't know how to put it, but i think you get the point..

• 3 weeks later...

I know, I'm actually to new to make a suggestion but:

Have you ever thought about a review database for pedals,guitars&stuff like that?

Of course there's Harmony Central but it's just too general.

For example we could just divert a "blogspot" from it's intened use or start a review thread.

(I could and I would if you say yes) The questions on gear tend to repetition so here's the suggestion for a "Muse related gear review thread/blog".

And now I'll leave and better dig my grave.:rolleyes:

Yes but the last post was 2008. And maybe we could make a "proper" thing out of it.

In this thread the demos are just thrown in there. Some files don't even work anymore.

I mean something like a pure review thread, this way it just becomes a mess.

For example there could be a sticky thread like the "K&T-FAQ" Kev did.

With nice links leading to the according post, maybe ordered in categories.

Discussions could be kept separated.

Or make a subforum for gear questions/recommendations with a sticky thread which links to reviewed/FAQ gear threads where you could discuss.

Anyway, it's no my decision.

The subforums thing is something i must get back onto kev about. I did suggest one of strictly JUST gear, for all the threads like "Which of these two pedals is better?" and "MiniKP Review" but not "How do i Fuzz factory in my guitar?" cos that would go into DIY. But, Kev suggested that it'd be better to have a DIY subforum, a Tab subforum, and a general forum. Tbh, i think it might be better to put DIY in with the Gear subforum, to make it GEAR/DIY! (or Geardy)

The subforums thing is something i must get back onto kev about. I did suggest one of strictly JUST gear, for all the threads like "Which of these two pedals is better?" and "MiniKP Review" but not "How do i Fuzz factory in my guitar?" cos that would go into DIY. But, Kev suggested that it'd be better to have a DIY subforum, a Tab subforum, and a general forum. Tbh, i think it might be better to put DIY in with the Gear subforum, to make it GEAR/DIY! (or Geardy)

Putting gear and DIY together definitely makes much more sense than having 3 separate sub-forums. Obviously if you start dividing things between too many different areas it becomes much harder to find specific information (I'm talking individual posts or links, not entire threads which would obviously be much easier to find) and it wouldn't actually be that different to the system we have at the moment of having 3 or 4 sticky threads where a lot of stuff ends up. The other problem with having a sub-forum entirely for DIY is that, when you consider that this is a Muse messageboard and because there are already a number of well known dedicated DIY forums for guitars and pedals etc, it's obvious that there's likely to be a large number of people asking the same few Muse-related DIY questions; XY pads in guitars, building Manson replicas, building fuzz factories etc. Obviously some of these topics are off-limits anyway which makes a dedicated sub-forum even more pointless.

Come to think of it, even having a separate Tab forum is a bit pointless because there's only ever any major activity Tab-wise when a new song/album comes out for a few weeks and then once everyone's pretty much tabbed it out it's just a case of getting it on Musewiki or wherever and referring people to it when they ask. Unless by "Tab" you mean the songs, recordings and performances themselves in which case there's a whole load of cross over with the kit side of things.

Fair point! I suppose that's the thing: you've got to strike a balance between there being enough activity for there to be any point in doing it but not so much activity that it becomes a clutter. Someone should get on the band's case and badger them to put out new material more often so that there's plenty of stuff to tab :LOL:.

• 1 month later...

Would it not be possible for a suggested thread selection when someone posts? Ie. If I make a thread about what guitar matt uses, it will take words from the title or main note and pick some related threads that could be useful? I don't know how much effort or time that will take, but it is clear that regardless of how good or bad search is, it's not being used.

You can then have the option of confirming the thread or deleting the thread afterwards. I think a lot of people can't be bothered to search because if you do want to know something as largely discussed as matts guitars, you get a billion threads, 90% of them being nothing to do with tge topic, but just have someone mention something, ie. A thread about how to wire a kill switch might have a post about how it's wired on a mattocaster.

Another option however is to have more mods who can filter what's posted. Much like a comment on a news site where opinons have to be checked on, you can simply add a note that the post will now be checked and should be visible soon.

Both bits together would be helpful to be honest because the user would still get good examples of other posts to answer the question, plus they don't get insulted when a new post pops up about an old subject, and you can save space by not having so many threads.

Well, here's what I have... I should rewrite it, but like I said, it's a start.

Showbiz (album):

N/A

Showbiz tour (1999-2000):

Guitars:

Early on, Matt mainly used a Yamaha Pacifica 120SD guitar. It was modified with a Roland GK-2 pickup (for use with the Roland VG-8 pedalboard), and supposedly dimarzio pickups (it is unknown what kind).

Mid 1999 he switched to a Peavey Wolfgang guitar as his main guitar. This also was modified with a Roland GK-2 pickup, but otherwise stock. The Yamaha was used for backup. There may have been two of these guitars; one completely covered with black tape, and one with grey tape around the edges.

Eventually in 2000 sometime, his main guitar became a Gibson Les Paul DC Standard Lite. This guitar was in use until 2001. It was modified with a Roland GK-2 pickup like his other guitars. Eventually it had a P90 pickup installed in the neck position.

Matt's comment on this guitar:

"This is a Gibson Les Paul (Slimline Double Cutaway). This was my main guitar for the most of the touring in 2000, until I rammed it into a Marshall 4 x 12 at the Dublin Olympia. The headstock has been glued back on so it's sort of ok, just a little fragile now."

Apparently the object taped below the bridge on this guitar at one point was a piece of bass fretboard.

Other guitars used occasionally:

EmeX Londaxe (also used in the Uno video)

Parker Fly Deluxe (covered in aluminum material)

Gibson SG re-issue with Maestro vibrola

GIbson SG-X (apparently the tommy hilfiger model, but with mirrored perspex on the front covering the logo)

Amplifiers:

A Soldano Decatone head and Soldano 4x12 cab were mainly used in 1999, along with a Matchless DC30 combo as well as a Fender Hot Rod Deville 4x10 combo. The Soldano was likely used for distorted tones only, while the other amps may have been used for cleans only.

In 2000, he switched over to a Marshall DSL50 "Orange Crunch" Head and 4x12 cab. The Fender Hot Rod still was used a fair amount, and eventually was used for keyboard during absolution.

There were various other amps that were used, but not very often, such as an Orange AD30 single channel head.

Effects:

I'm not entirely sure what was used, but as far as I know, the pedal board included

-Digitech Whammy WH-4

-Roland VG-8

-Line 6 DL4 Delay

-DOD 7-band EQ (used for mid boost?)

-homemade amp switcher

-expression pedal for VG-8

As you can see, it's a bit more detailed, but it might answer more questions.

Maybe there can be a few different posts in the FAQ (like there are now I guess). First some sort of explanation (?)...then the next few posts which will contain the studio/live setup for each album/tour. (first showbiz, then OOS, etc). I've only got info on Matt's setup as you can see above, but info on Dom and Chris' setup can be added in the same posts as well...I think. Then the last posts will contain the other bits (effects settings, tabs, links, etc)

:erm:

• 1 month later...

Ok, so my exams are finished, so i can finally get back on topic with this thread. Gonna start on a new updated FAQ. Probably be able to take a lot from the old FAQ and musewiki to be honest. So if anyone would like to help out with any of these topics, let me know what they'd be up for doing, or if we've missed anything.

• Muse Gear (As much as possible on current gear, and just brief points on old stuff)
  • Muse Songs (Those common questions about solos, effects etc etc.)
  • Other Muse Related Kit / Tab FAQ (ie, How do I Mattocaster?)
  • Good Equipment for Beginners (good start off amps, guitars, effects etc)
  • Generic common guitar problems (How to properly set up a guitar etc.)
  • List of most popular threads (FF thread, Luthiery, Electronics etc etc.)

I think that'd do it for the moment. If anyone has any other ideas, let me know. I'm going to make a start of Good Equipment for Beginners now.

Archived